Page 328 of 528 FirstFirst ... 228 278 318 326 327 328 329 330 338 378 428 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,840 of 15838

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguymark View Post
    So, the updated website's blurb of The Slip states that it contains "several songs that have been live staples," but in my memory, 1,000,000 is really the only one that can qualify as a staple since the 08-09 cycle. Maybe future setlists will be more Slip-heavy? I sure would love to hear The Four Of Us Are Dying live.
    Betcha betcha betcha betcha ya dint think of Head Down?!???!

Id put that track in my top 25 NIN songs of all time no problem and it never gets much love. Kinda like Slave Only Dreams To Be King, but that is another topic alltogether...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    the art for Hesitation Marks had fuck all to do with the music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    the art for Hesitation Marks had fuck all to do with the music.
    Most artwork for albums have fuck all to do with the music

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Most artwork for albums have fuck all to do with the music
    The Fragile's imagery and cover were closely linked to the sound of the album. Year Zero too. The Slip's cover reflected the content. Definitely the Downward Spiral.

but Hesitation Marks was just like: we didn't actually try to capture the sound of the album in a visual format... Sheridan took nice photos for it, but they're meaningless next to the music.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I don't know if this would be better suited for the "disappointing moments thread" or the "controversial opinion thread" but I just took a look at that most recent Grammy performance again the one which got molested by advertising, i mean never mind the fact such BS happened to begin with but i found that performance was really just not that great in general, Austin City Limits was so much better, Kimmel as well even.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The Fragile's imagery and cover were closely linked to the sound of the album. Year Zero too. The Slip's cover reflected the content. Definitely the Downward Spiral.
    They match the tone, but they don't literally have anything to do with the content of the album. Year Zero does. It actually takes ideas from the music/arg.

but Hesitation Marks was just like: we didn't actually try to capture the sound of the album in a visual format... Sheridan took nice photos for it, but they're meaningless next to the music.
    I disagree, I think it captures the tone of the album fine. But we can agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Seeing as how HM was a reflection of sorts on TDS, I found the Russel Mills artwork very, very appropriate. The DE's Cargo In The Blood cover was a good mirror to the old TDS artwork, I found.

One thing that comes to mind is in said DE booklet - the page with Dissapointed's lyrics I think - there was a shot of dead hornets. That instantly made me think back to the buzzing you hear in Eraser, and kind of served as a commentary for me on how the vitriol, naked aggression, and desperation that song evoked was kind of a thing of the past.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Disappointed still continues to be one of my favorites off of HM, though I think that has a lot to do with seeing it live. It was a very enjoyable part of the show.

For being a callback to the themes and concepts of TDS, honestly HM contains so much of everything that we've come to expect of NIN. Various Methods of Escape could have fit easily on The Fragile, I feel. Everything and All Time Low could have set along side Getting Smaller and Only on With Teeth, Satellite is very reminiscent of Year Zero's delivery and composition.

And that's not a bad thing! It's very effective as a retrospective album. Very much distilled Nine Inch Nails and I still have a good time listening to it (and all of NIN to be honest.)

I can't wait to see what Trent and Co. have come up with for the new EP. I'm already anticipating a follow up (wishful thinking, I know.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayscaleRain View Post
    Disappointed still continues to be one of my favorites off of HM, though I think that has a lot to do with seeing it live. It was a very enjoyable part of the show.
    The live display was indeed incredible. It's the only redeeming thing for a song that, to me, has already been done over and over. I'm just "beat deconstructed"-out after "I Do Not Want This" and all of Year Zero.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I think it's just time we all acknowledge Hesitation Marks for what it essentially is: the best Massive Attack record since 1998

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Isn't Welcome Oblivion a better example of TR sounding like Massive Attack?

And 100th Window is so, so beyond Hesitation Marks. C'mon now. So is Heligoland.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Isn't Welcome Oblivion a better example of TR sounding like Massive Attack?
    If we're talking snooze-inducing Heligoland MA, then yes. HM is more beat-driven though, which reminds me of prime-era MA

Nothing against Welcome Oblivion; I love that album. It's just more languid to me than anything he's done in NIN

100th Window is so, so beyond Hesitation Marks.
    Debatable. 100W has its merits, no doubt. Sinead O sounds great on her cuts and Everywhen is still one of my favorite songs they've ever done. But the whole thing just ends up sounding like a down-shifted version of Mezzanine to me

C'mon now. So is Heligoland.
    No way. No way.

To each their own, etc. of course. I've just never warmed to Heligoland, from the first time I've heard it. The only thing worth keeping to me on that entire turd is Hope Sandoval's track, and that's only because she could read from a phone book and I would listen. That whole thing just sounds muted, unfocused and like Massive Attack trying to figure out how to still be Massive Attack. We waited seven years for that?

Hes Marks gets routinely dogged, but at least there's interesting variations of things going on throughout. Heligoland passes by like a boring, ordinary day you can't remember when it's over

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw Charlotte Church do her "Pop Dungeon" show this week where she performs Closer.
    Needless to say the crowd had no idea what was going on.
    After wanting to see it for so long, I was a little disappointed, but it was still an alright cover. She got the lyrics wrong though (but then again so does Trent...)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So excited to hear "Dive and Slam" today!

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)

The right side of the cover has been always reminding me of a beer glass with some foam on the top, ever since the first time I saw it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I always thought it was a distorted pic of a face.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    beer glass
    Damn. I feel like I've subconsciously known this the whole time, but it just didn't quite click.

I don't want to be an entitled jerk or a whinger with regards to the new Fragile release, but I'm really agitated about hearing these at some point soon. There's just no way I can justify buying the vinyl right now. At least I can get some schadenfreude because of the apparent delays on their release...

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

The right side of the cover has been always reminding me of a beer glass with some foam on the top, ever since the first time I saw it.

I can never unsee that now.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

I always thought it was trent's right elbow./arm. The black area on the left being the top of his hips/ass. I actually though he put his ass on the cover of the fragile.

I can't unsee the waterfall now.
    Last edited by sweeterthan; 12-22-2016 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Quoted the wrong post

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Did they ever post a picture of the shell as it looked before distortion like they've done with the waterfall image?

"cover image is a waterfall in iceland and a seashell in the west indies."
    —David Carson

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Trent should pull an Aphex and release eight years of unheard music on Apple Music.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Did they ever post a picture of the shell as it looked before distortion like they've done with the waterfall image?

"cover image is a waterfall in iceland and a seashell in the west indies."
    —David Carson
    Someone did, based on some of Carson's books. This is what you get.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I saw Charlotte Church do her "Pop Dungeon" show this week where she performs Closer.
    After wanting to see it for so long, I was a little disappointed, but it was still an alright cover. She got the lyrics wrong though (but then again so does Trent...)
    I i really want to see this whole show. Hopefully decent recordings will surface now she's done it a few times. Love what little I've seen.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I always forget that David Carson was also the dude behind Raygun magazine, which was one of the best music publications of the 90s, bar none..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    I i really want to see this whole show. Hopefully decent recordings will surface now she's done it a few times. Love what little I've seen.
    They were filming the show I was at, they could put it out!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    From discussing our favorite NTAE songs, to those excellent audiophiles with their spectrogram comparisons, damn it's good to have new (and DE) NIN albums! Fucking love this forum.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    "Alessandro, Robin, Ilan, are a complete part of the family" from that Beats 1 interview made me feel warmer inside than it should have.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I was there too! At the Tramshed?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Does anyone have a audio rip of the live Tension tour from YouTube and also The Slip live audio? Would appreciate a PM

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    RayGun and Carson influenced my artwork in serious ways. In fact, it took awhile to work through that influence and into something original, again. Deceptively difficult approach to design. Easy to copy but real tough to make distinctive