Page 330 of 528 FirstFirst ... 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 340 380 430 ... LastLast
Results 9,871 to 9,900 of 15839

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    True, but then again I'd still happily buy the vinyls of the albums. It's the soundtracks that I don't care if I have a disc or not and would pay for in hi-res.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    It seems odd to me that the LPs + digital files are "sold out". What's stopping them from selling the digital files by themselves at this point? Did they run out?
    I do certainly hope that the vinyl+digital releases will eventually convert over to just digital, once the vinyl stocks are well and truly sold out and not getting repressed. I've been kicking myself for not getting Lost Highway and NBK right away, and in the end I'd be happy even if I just had the FLACs.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I've been kicking myself for not getting Lost Highway and NBK right away, and in the end I'd be happy even if I just had the FLACs.
    Those are not NIN-exclusive pressings like the NIN albums. They're done by other companies and thus available in all kinds of other shops, like Amazon. And the FLACs you get from the NIN store of these soundtracks are just straight CD audio, no remastering, so to get the equivalent, all you have to do is buy the vinyls through Amazon and download FLAC rips (err, uh, I mean, rip your CD copies you bought in the '90s!).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Those are not NIN-exclusive pressings like the NIN albums. They're done by other companies and thus available in all kinds of other shops, like Amazon. And the FLACs you get from the NIN store of these soundtracks are just straight CD audio, no remastering, so to get the equivalent, all you have to do is buy the vinyls through Amazon and download FLAC rips (err, uh, I mean, rip your CD copies you bought in the '90s!).
    Oh! I'd assumed there was some remastering going on with those as well, but I suppose that may have been a bad assumption to make! Thanks for the info, I feel less bad about possibly missing those, now.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    Oh! I'd assumed there was some remastering going on with those as well, but I suppose that may have been a bad assumption to make! Thanks for the info, I feel less bad about possibly missing those, now.
    Well you'd have to remaster every single track from every single artist, soooo...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well you'd have to remaster every single track from every single artist, soooo...
    Except both of them say this:
    2016 PRESSING
    2XLP + HI RES DIGITAL
    Granted that probably does mean FLAC in general but I was hoping.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Except both of them say [2xLP + Hi Res Digital]. Granted that probably does mean FLAC in general but I was hoping.
    Indeed, but that isn't what they deliver when you buy them. People who did get them have confirmed it's FLACs of the same CD audio we've had since the soundtracks came out. So somebody did some copypasta when the store entries were made, just like some of the early mistakes in the discography pages.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Ah, well there's that then.

And there's snarky post about the store and mistakes made but I'll leave them alone for now.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Indeed, but that isn't what they deliver when you buy them. People who did get them have confirmed it's FLACs of the same CD audio we've had since the soundtracks came out. So somebody did some copypasta when the store entries were made, just like some of the early mistakes in the discography pages.
    Mm, I actually wouldn't personally consider that to be a "mistake." The term "Hi Res" is vague, but I'd consider anything that's at least CD-quality lossless to qualify for the term. I know that wouldn't necessarily make Neil Young (or some other audiophiles on here) happy, but I think the term as-used on the NIN site is primarily there to distinguish it from lossy (mp3) encodings.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Do you think TR recorded Branches/Bones with those drums to make it sound like a better version of "Everything" that he's prouder of?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I love the live version of Sin that's been played since 1991 so much that I've done a studio version myself mixing the "Dub" remix and the original version of the album

Last edited by mauro995; 12-29-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This sounds awesome dude! Great work.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Do you think TR recorded Branches/Bones with those drums to make it sound like a better version of "Everything" that he's prouder of?
    but
    why would he *not* be proud of 'everything'????
    that song was fucking bananas.
    pop..hyperpop...hystericalpop...this crazy upbeat music with sarcastic and sad lyrics...it's like he musically manifested a dichotomous emotional state...perfectly.
    anyway, my uho on 'everything'.
    i reckon the man has never (nope, not even 'that's what i get' or 'ringfinger' ;p) actually created ANYTHING he should feel less than proud of.
    fucker puts himself out there, in varying degrees of dress, with his distinct flavour but always all ways from a different perspective.
    nope. no shame for any of his body of work.
    (btw: i have my own personal loves and not so loves amongst that body of work, but since my reaction is subjective i can and do objectively recognize that what doesn't necessarily resonate with or for me, does not lessen the actual work. he is a maestro.)
    Last edited by Lew; 12-29-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I love the live version of Sin that's been played since 1991 so much that I've done a studio version myself mixing the "Dub" remix and the original version of the album

That sounds great man! You don't know how badly I wish there was an instrumental studio recording of the live version, I would karaoke the fuck out of it.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    but
    why would he *not* be proud of 'everything'????
    that song was fucking bananas.
    pop..hyperpop...hystericalpop...this crazy upbeat music with sarcastic and sad lyrics...it's like he musically manifested a dichotomous emotional state...perfectly.
    anyway, my uho on 'everything'.
    i reckon the man has never (nope, not even 'that's what i get' or 'ringfinger' ;p) actually created ANYTHING he should feel less than proud of.
    fucker puts himself out there, in varying degrees of dress, with his distinct flavour but always all ways from a different perspective.
    nope. no shame for any of his body of work.
    (btw: i have my own personal loves and not so loves amongst that body of work, but since my reaction is subjective i can and do objectively recognize that what doesn't necessarily resonate with or for me, does not lessen the actual work. he is a maestro.)
    Well, he should be proud of it because I dig it too, but then he said it had become an irritant to him because of fan reactions.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Well, he should be proud of it because I dig it too, but then he said it had become an irritant to him because of fan reactions.
    ah! ok...but i have to say i am surprised he spared any nanofucks toward the kvetching.
    sorry for misreading that, aussie

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I love Everything. I like it when he doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. I don't know why he let it get to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I'm thinking of having a JaNINuary, listening to 1 halo per day.
    And then a Bowiebrary 2.0 right after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone think Trent will drop something on New Years Eve?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    You know, sometimes I wonder... if I was a musician, artist with family and kids, and I felt an urge to create something like "fuck this life and all to hell" (without REALLY feeling that way, only a bit sometimes, as everyone does), how would I describe that to my wife, "honey, don't worry, I am just pretending for the stupid fans, now where's our lunch", but of course she would take it the worst possible way (as women tend to do)... so would I just move it to backup drive, even if I felt it was really good... or what? You can be only free when no-one cares about you, right? And that is hard to achieve. ;-)

Edit: OK, I see I have to change "she would take it the worst possible way (as women tend to do)" to "ETS would take it the worst possible way (as ETS tends to do)". :-) Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Substance242; 01-01-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seed_0 View Post
    Naw.
    tenchar

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    You know, sometimes I wonder... if I was a musician, artist with family and kids, and I felt an urge to create something like "fuck this life and all to hell" (without REALLY feeling that way, only a bit sometimes, as everyone does), how would I describe that to my wife, "honey, don't worry, I am just pretending for the stupid fans, now where's our lunch", but of course she would take it the worst possible way (as women tend to do)... so would I just move it to backup drive, even if I felt it was really good... or what? You can be only free when no-one cares about you, right? And that is hard to achieve. ;-)
    Trent’s ingenious solution, have his wife be a partner in crime, so to speak.

Edit: This statement is only intended as a compliment. They kicked ass together with HTDA, and their track on the new nin ep is solid as well.
    Last edited by Dr Channard; 01-02-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    can we please leave the misogyny and Yoko Ono-izing out of this entire forum for fuck's sake

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    A brand new Not The Actual Events EP along with Definitive Editions of Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and an alternate instrumental version of The Fragile with additional unheard material isn't enough?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    if I was a musician, artist with family and kids, and I felt an urge to create something like "fuck this life and all to hell" (without REALLY feeling that way, only a bit sometimes, as everyone does), how would I describe that to my wife, "honey, don't worry, I am just pretending for the stupid fans, now where's our lunch"
    Couple of super weird assumptions in there:

1) That marriage/kids automatically turns you into a happy person incapable of negative emotion
    2) That someone in a happy marriage, with kids, can't genuinely feel like "fuck this life and all to hell"
    3) That there's no such thing as compartmentalization of emotion (ie: being unable to be happy with married life but despondent about the world in general)
    4) That your spouse would be incapable of understanding that emotions exist, are real, and change over time

If you're not able to talk honestly and openly to the person you've married about yourself and your emotions, then you should really do some work to get to a point where you can.

Uh, right, this is a NIN board. Ummm, NTAE is still extraordinary?
    Last edited by xolotl; 01-01-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fixing spelling

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Artists usually don't date or marry people who go "was that about me? It's about me isn't it. It's about me. Isn't it?". I'm pretty sure Ms Maandig Reznor is well aware of how writing works.

That whole post was just bafflingly backwards.
    Last edited by Khrz; 01-01-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Never seen this before. This guy combined Rob's camera work with fan cam footage. Good work, though he kind of botched the audio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A brand new Not The Actual Events EP along with Definitive Editions of Broken, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and an alternate instrumental version of The Fragile with additional unheard material isn't enough?
    1. It will never be enough.
    2. Definitive Editions of Broken and TDS?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    1. It will never be enough.
    2. Definitive Editions of Broken and TDS?
    Not sure what #2 means.

Unless you missed the Definitive Editions of Broken and The Downward Spiral that have been for sale.

ALL NINE INCH NAILS RECORDS BEING REISSUED ON VINYL

TRENT REZNOR AND NIN ART DIRECTOR JOHN CRAWFORD SET OUT TO MAKE THE “DEFINITIVE EDITIONS” OF ALL THE MAIN NIN RELEASES ON VINYL. REZNOR: “WE WANT TO PRESENT THE CATALOG AS IT WAS INTENDED TO BE, WITH NO COMPROMISES. THAT MEANS A CAREFUL REMASTERING OF THE AUDIO FROM THE ORIGINAL SOURCES, A CAREFUL AND PAINSTAKING RECREATION OF THE ARTWORK, PRISTINE MATERIALS, SOME SURPRISES AND AN INSANE ATTENTION TO DETAIL THAT YOU PROBABLY WON’T NOTICE… BUT IT MATTERS TO US. NO EXTRA BULLSHIT AND GIMMICKS – THE “REAL” RECORDS IN THEIR TRUEST FORM AVAILABLE AT A REASONABLE PRICE.”

Source: http://www.nin.com
    Last edited by neorev; 01-01-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Not sure what #2 means.

Unless you missed the Definitive Editions of Broken and The Downward Spiral that have been for sale.

ALL NINE INCH NAILS RECORDS BEING REISSUED ON VINYL

TRENT REZNOR AND NIN ART DIRECTOR JOHN CRAWFORD SET OUT TO MAKE THE “DEFINITIVE EDITIONS” OF ALL THE MAIN NIN RELEASES ON VINYL. REZNOR: “WE WANT TO PRESENT THE CATALOG AS IT WAS INTENDED TO BE, WITH NO COMPROMISES. THAT MEANS A CAREFUL REMASTERING OF THE AUDIO FROM THE ORIGINAL SOURCES, A CAREFUL AND PAINSTAKING RECREATION OF THE ARTWORK, PRISTINE MATERIALS, SOME SURPRISES AND AN INSANE ATTENTION TO DETAIL THAT YOU PROBABLY WON’T NOTICE… BUT IT MATTERS TO US. NO EXTRA BULLSHIT AND GIMMICKS – THE “REAL” RECORDS IN THEIR TRUEST FORM AVAILABLE AT A REASONABLE PRICE.”

Source: http://www.nin.com
    I seen that they were re-released, but didn't catch that they were remastered. What are the suprises?