Page 332 of 529 FirstFirst ... 232 282 322 330 331 332 333 334 342 382 432 ... LastLast
Results 9,931 to 9,960 of 15851

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Are they even doing an official score release for Patriots Day though? I can't recall seeing anything about that

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Year zero is a perfect album. How can you not listen to the whole thing? I might've listened to it almost non stop the first two years after it's release.
    The fact that every song except TGG, TGD and AVOTT have almost exactly the same arrangement. It gets extremely boring.

With that said, most songs have at least one reason to keep listening anyway, and one can change arrangements with multitracks if so inclined. Once I did, it's certainly an unstoppable listen!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Its honestly the only NIN record where I don't skip a single track.
    it's the only NIN record where i DO skip a track (Capital G) and want to skip others (The Warning is just not pleasing to my ears, and i don't really like The Good Soldier)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    On my "Desperate Requests" List as well, with a studio recording of "Now I'm Nothing."
    I want a studio recording of Sex Dwarf.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Are they even doing an official score release for Patriots Day though? I can't recall seeing anything about that
    I would hope so, but there has been no official announcement yet.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Random NIN Comment/Question: I enjoy The Slip and think it occupies a cool space in NIN history -- spontaneous, fun, and a fascinating companion to Ghosts from the same year. But I believe it's my least favorite NIN release and I'm trying to think why. I've read from sources here that it was supposed to be an EP, a la NTAE, but then was expanded (can this be confirmed?). Even NTAE sounds more polished then TS, though. Is it the production of "1,000,000" I don't like, or the fact that there are two, chunky instrumentals in the second half right before an enigmatic closer ("Demon Seed")? Two of my favorite NIN songs come from the record, though ("LITS" and "Echoplex"), and apparently a lot of indie music outlets praise it highly. Go figure!

As it stands, my obligatory ranking is:

The Fragile
    With Teeth

The Downward Spiral
    Hesitation Marks
    (sometimes higher)
    Ghosts
    Broken
    Year Zero
    Pretty Hate Machine
    Still
    Not The Actual Events
    The Slip

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I listened to The Fragile DE last night and... wow.... there is more in that record to hear as it's the little things that really makes a difference. There's bits here and there in the album either I don't remember hearing or ever heard. It makes me love the album even more. Someone needs to make a doc or something about that album as there has to be something about the mixing and sound design because it is truly out of this world.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    I've read from sources here that it was supposed to be an EP, a la NTAE, but then was expanded (can this be confirmed?).
    I can't remember where, but Trent did say that The Slip started as either leftover ideas/sounds from the Ghosts sessions, or something along those lines (where they just kinda kept going with a few things, as evident with Demon Seed). Which is funny to think about, as Hesitation Marks was another album that grew from a few songs (meant to be used for the greatest hits release) into a full album release on its own as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'm not sure why The Slip constantly gets abused, I love Discipline, Echoplex, LITS and Demon Seed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I'm not sure why The Slip constantly gets abused, I love Discipline, Echoplex, LITS and Demon Seed.

No abuse meant! I love those songs.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I think it's the best in the catalogue.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Seems like a few get down on it from an angle of eyeing the relatively brief creative phase and translating that to the album having a subpar production. But you’re right, The Slip is a damn fine album. If anything, the rapid creative process is a testament to the expertise of its makers. And for what they charged for the album, I have nothing negative to say about it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I love The Slip. I thought it was a solid album. Plus, who doesn't like to shake that booty to "Discipline"?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I feel like The Slip would have been much less divided if the vocal performance was more like the rehearsals. I do love the studio's performance too overall but rehearsals have much more power, expect for songs like Head Down and Echoplex, those are in my opinion better on the studio. I love the album itself, I love how varied it is, I love how there seems to be some kind of a theme going on. I love its sound too. Shame it gets often unoticed, it is a real shame. Demon Seed may just be one of my favorite closers, very unique way to close out an album from NIN.
    Last edited by HWB; 01-05-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've had in the back of my mind to do a Slip remix album (in the spirit of FDTS etc.) and had some solid ideas of things to try but the area I would get stuck on are the middle numbers: 1M, Letting You etc. - perhaps using live performances or rehearsal performances as a mix base would work well for them.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think it's the best in the catalogue.
    The Slip is your favorite NIN album? Of all of them? Ever?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Yes. I wouldn't necessarily call it the most accomplished vision or concept album of his. That certainly goes out to TDS. But what I like about The Slip is how loose it feels.

To me, NIN-albums typically tend to be dense and they often feel needlessly serious and dark. They seldomly come without detailed narratives on what they mean to portait or how you as a listener have to absorb this thing at hand. Also, there's practically no NIN-album that I can listen to without having to cringe a few times. And that's because the lyrics sometimes are so bad that they sabotage those overly serious topics. Add his subpar skills at singing and all that drama and darkness that's on display suddenly looses a lot of its spark. (Btw those moments, I feel, are the key to understanding where a reviewer like the one from the PF review about TF is coming from).

And while that might sound a bit unfair, I feel with The Slip, the music benefits from the concept of this garage-y record they set out to do. Also, here, I like his lyrics better than on most of his other stuff. I guess the fact that he didn't spend so much time on every aspect of this record - musically (Head Down = Trent & Co's best production ever) and lyrically - didn't allow him to overthink much of this album.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I still rank The Slip as high as I do The Fragile; I've never been able to rank one above the other.

More potentially-controversial opinions: I still currently rank Hesitation Marks as my #1 favorite NIN album, with Fragile/Slip vying for #2.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Add his subpar skills at singing and all that drama and darkness that's on display suddenly looses a lot of its spark.
    You're insane, friend. I feel a great many NIN lyrics end up working because of TR's voice and performance.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    You're insane, friend. I feel a great many NIN lyrics end up working because of TR's voice and performance.
    He's good at screaming, obviously. But that's kinda a one-trick pony, isn't it?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I feel like The Slip doesn't get the respect it deserves. It isn't my favorite, but I love it and it has some of my favorites songs (Head Down, LITS, Echoplex, Demon Seed). I really feel like it doesn't get a proper chance due to the fact that it was given away. I think that really has an impact on how people view music. It cheapens it. I never understood the feeling like it was not a fully fleshed-out album from listening to it. If I didn't know it was recorded so quickly I wouldn't feel like it was. Just in terms of length, I think it would have benefited from maybe one more song.

Also, it might be my least favorite cover (except for maybe NTAE), but I totally LOVE the rest of the artwork. I always thought the picture of the circle with the red line through the bottom would have been an awesome cover.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    am i the only person who DOESN'T like "lights in the sky?" trent's ballads have never been my favorite, but if i had to rank them off the top of my head, LITS would be at the bottom, tied with "find my way"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I didn't mean to start a debate. Well, perhaps I did. Don't get me wrong! It's a fun album. And I love "LITS" for how un-industrial it is. Maybe you will all make me rethink Le Slip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    am i the only person who DOESN'T like "lights in the sky?" trent's ballads have never been my favorite, but if i had to rank them off the top of my head, LITS would be at the bottom, tied with "find my way"
    I much prefer the loud nin over the ballads, but Find My Way might actually be my favorite song off HM. LITS just sounds really good to me for some reason. I like how quiet it is and then followed by Corona Radiata it just works for some reason in a really weird way.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    He's good at screaming, obviously. But that's kinda a one-trick pony, isn't it?
    His singing voice may not be the best thing ever in the world, but it is really good in my opinon and its range has been improving. He is really good at whispering and he has various ammounts of screams. Hesitation Marks kinda proved he can make a good album which has a lot of singing and does not have to scream almost at all.

Right Where It Belongs is wonderful mostly thanks to his vocals. He is not all about screaming in my opinion.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Biggest disappoinment with these reissues is how Trent treated the digital and the vinyl flow the same with all of the tracks breaks caused by the vinyl format. It's especially noticeable with The Fragile. I just love the CD version when it flowed more since there was only a single separation between discs 1 and 2. The vinyl edition has too many moments where it breaks up the flow and loses that feeling of a continuous journey. I wish Trent just made each format unique and mixed the digital copy closer to how the CD tracks were blended. These pauses, for example between The Wretched and WITT, are distracting and take me out of the moment. Shame Trent didn't take the opportunity to make the digital copy unique so each format had its own experience. A continuous Fragile without any breaks would be awesome.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-05-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Biggest disappoinment with these reissues is how Trent treated the digital and the vinyl flow the same with all of the tracks breaks caused by the vinyl format. It's especially noticeable with The Fragile. I just love the CD version when it flowed more since there was only a single separation between discs 1 and 2. The vinyl edition has too many moments where it breaks up the flow and loses that feeling of a continuous journey. I wish Trent just made each format unique and mixed the digital copy closer to how the CD tracks were blended. These pauses, for example between The Wretched and WITT, are distracting and take me out of the moment. Shame Trent didn't take the opportunity to make the digital copy unique so each format had its own experience. A continuous Fragile without any breaks would be awesome.
    i'm mad he didn't seem to fix the segue issues between the sides of TDS (which is sort of the opposite of your complaint)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm mad he didn't seem to fix the segue issues between the sides of TDS (which is sort of the opposite of your complaint)
    Thank god because TDS flows exactly how it should like its CD version and it is what makes TDS an amazing listening experience. The whole breaking up of sides and across multiple records is one of the main things that I hate with vinyl. Its time limitations just destroys an album's flow. And it's a shame that the journey that is The Fragile is hindered by it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sure you guys are familiar with those musical easter eggs Trent tends to put in some of his songs. Well I just found one today, from Where Is Everybody? even. During the guitar solo bit, the acoustic guitar riff that enters in the beginning actually reenters at about 4:00.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Thank god because TDS flows exactly how it should like its CD version and it is what makes TDS an amazing listening experience. The whole breaking up of sides and across multiple records is one of the main things that I hate with vinyl. Its time limitations just destroys an album's flow. And it's a shame that the journey that is The Fragile is hindered by it.
    See, this is a strength imo. The forced flow of something like ED->"Pilgrimage" on the CD is just trash, imo. There's no need for those two songs to be continuous without something else, more sensible, creating the flow. Like "Feeders." Except that's a poor example because it sucks too, imo.

The transition from TB into IDNWT is at two clashing tempi. It sounds bloody awful. So the vinyl would be greatly improved if it had the two separated (which is in question). imo imo imo

I should probably have posted this in the controversial comments thread.