Page 344 of 529 FirstFirst ... 244 294 334 342 343 344 345 346 354 394 444 ... LastLast
Results 10,291 to 10,320 of 15851

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    @Ryan that live version of TLBTB is one of my favorites. Didn't it was yours, nice work. Good fucking show.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    @Ryan that live version of TLBTB is one of my favorites. Didn't it was yours, nice work. Good fucking show.
    Seconded. Trent hitting the high note at 2:50 and the vocal harmonies by JMJ and Robin at the end are killer.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I need to reupload the rest of the videos from that show too. I got banned from YouTube back in 2014 because of stupid copyright strikes that I took down but they still enforced it. Anyway it seems like I'm unbanned now (on my main account). I've been using a secondary account to upload stuff to in the interim. Sucks, because Trent's Steal It speech in 2007 was my video as well and it had like over 500,000 views!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I need to reupload the rest of the videos from that show too. I got banned from YouTube back in 2014 because of stupid copyright strikes that I took down but they still enforced it. Anyway it seems like I'm unbanned now (on my main account). I've been using a secondary account to upload stuff to in the interim. Sucks, because Trent's Steal It speech in 2007 was my video as well and it had like over 500,000 views!
    The Something I Can Never Have performance was amazing. Thanks for putting these up

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I love and miss the older days of nin.com. ALWAYS toying with us. Hidden links in swf files found by hitting tab, partial song clips in swf files that evolved, updating pictures in links that already existed, hiding information in altered images; hiding links by adding a new graphic, cryptic messages in various forms of code, always teasing us; keeping us not only "checking", but rather "checking IN". I really disdain when someone says something derogatory in reply about the ARG. nin.com has been toying, teasing, and playing with us WELL before the ARG. In part, that's why the ARG jumped off so well. So to anyone thinking and replying to those who are inspecting nin.com as an ARG, get over it... the ARG was only a short time span in the the interactivity nin.com has given us. I hope they keep teasing us but sadly I think without Rob, the driving creative force behind the themes and "games", it's a thing of the past. I'll personally keep hoping, and although I have my doubts that we'll get themed and traffic driving teasing on nin.com, I'll still be looking. I hate to say it, but nin.com has slowly transitioned from an expanded and exciting experience to one of conformity :-(
    Last edited by bwary; 02-25-2017 at 04:46 AM.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    The Something I Can Never Have performance was amazing. Thanks for putting these up
    No problem, I just wish I got the WHOLE show! This was before I was smart enough to carry extra batteries on me. I got from the beginning (Frail/Wretched) to the first few seconds of The Fragile.

http://www.nin.wiki/2009/02/24_Sydne...tralia#Setlist

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I'm not really a "make a setlist" sort of fellow, but I was kinda daydreaming about a performance theme for NIN2017 when iTunes shuffle hit me like a ton of bricks:

"Let The Hacking Begin" (In Motion)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    listened to phm last night while friends were over. the lyrics to "that's what i get" are so silly. "slipping on the tears you made me cry", lololol.

ridic.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    listened to phm last night while friends were over. the lyrics to "that's what i get" are so silly. "slipping on the tears you made me cry", lololol.

ridic.
    haha we were all 24 once (except for me because I'm 16 )

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    you're 16?

holy balls. well, good on you for having great taste.

but seriously, the lyrics on the second half of phm are goofy af.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    PHM's lyrics are so perfectly angsty and of a certain style and a certain era and a certain age. It's the exact kind of mopey and slightly-edgy in an adolescent way style of writing that you'd expect from an oldschool Depeche Mode-loving kid getting their first taste of heartbreak and it's wonderful and awkwardly and oddly endearing in that sort of way. Anyone who's been bitterly sad over trivial shit while sporting floppy hair can relate and nostalgically cringe remembering that old version of themselves. At its worst I find it very quaint and at its best I find it earnest and surprisingly impacting and still effective, making up for what it lacks in poetic prowess with its relentless and unashamed honesty.

In a weird sort of way, the older I get the more I adore that record, even if none of my actual life can connect with it anymore. It's unbelievably cool-sounding in the most delightfully retro way but with far more of a bite than most of its time and place.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    Those notes are the loneliest and most depressing notes ever to me.
    Hmmmm. For me, those notes would the be ending of "Losing Hope". Just the very definition of musical bleakness.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    people that went just to see a classic 90's grungy rock band who then stuck around for a group that they had little familiarity with beyond the big hits were not remotely expecting to see an electronic go fuck yourself noise explosion. Don't know why you're choosing to read it as something inherently negative...
    Thank you, I choose (and will continue) to read as negative any and all implications that people of other fandom are "just there" to "not remotely expect" and "have their ass kicked" for your amusement. You are further outlining part of audience by putting together "they had little familiarity" and "not expecting go fuck yourself noise" and i'm not supporter of that particular lookout on music as on some form of "fuck you" to listeners.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post

ridic.
    Even better - "that's what I get (for trusting youuuu!)"

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The one for TLBTB is epic. I wish they'd used that quiet room tone/ambience before the album version. It'd be a good bridge from the end of Sunspots (or Home) and it makes the downbeat sound even bigger.
    It kinda sounds like driving in a car. Someone should join it into the full album track, hint hint.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    It kinda sounds like driving in a car. Someone should join it into the full album track, hint hint.
    I'll give it a go. My version of With Teeth has Non-Entity before The Line Begins To Blur so i'll just tag it onto the start

Edit: Done. Made two versions, one with a slight fade in of the teaser/blip audio and one without a fade in. If anyones at all interested send me a message.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-26-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    One commenter on YouTube said "32 Ghosts IV" sounds like Darth Vader is beat boxing in the beginning. I couldn't stop laughing.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Macbeth View Post
    Ever since becoming a fan since 2002, I was wondering about possible future fans being born in the 1990s and 2000s later on. (I also arrived very late to the game.)

Well, more than enough time has definitely passed as I have seen more people born in the mid 1990s to the early 2000s posting in the 2010s. Obviously, some were just far too young, or weren't even born yet when I became a fan in the middle of The Fragile and With Teeth eras, but it's always a pleasure for me to see newer fans arrive, which means more fans for one of my favorite musicians of all time.

But yeah, it's pretty cool to see fans that are even younger than The Fragile these days too, while just being reminded about how well NIN stands the test of time again and again.

From what I recall, when I became a fan, most of the youngest fans were born in the late 1980s and 1990s too, but mostly the early 1990s as they were at least older than The Downward Spiral from what I've noticed. I also discussed this with @elevenism , and was always fascinated to notice how most NIN fans on ETS (And other sites.) seemed to have been born in the 1970s and 1980s.

And well, welcome aboard yet again. The more the merrier, I say.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Absolutely, and i hate the high school shit of calling new fans poseurs and such.
    I DID that in high school when NIN got popular, but it was fucking stupid and i was 14.
    I can't hang with people doing that now, like, grown up people.

The more the merrier indeed!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thank you! And I'm sure there could be plenty of kids in my age range who would love NIN, but music like NIN gets buried by the overflowing tub of pop-crap that's played and enjoyed by teenagers these days.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    And yes, whoever you are, if you're a NIN fan, we accept you

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Ever since becoming a fan since 2002, I was wondering about possible future fans being born in the 1990s and 2000s later on. (I also arrived very late to the game.)
    And then there's us long timer's who have children... some embrace NIN right away, some not so quick (and I would speculate that some won't)... I have one daughter (23 now) who loved NIN RIGHT away on her first listen (to be honest, though, she'd heard NIN and many other bands without her "knowing"), and a second daughter (18 now) who took a few years to enjoy it but always wants any NIN shirts I'm willing to give to her ;-)
    Last edited by bwary; 02-26-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always wondered what the hell Trent says at 3:56 of The Wretched

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Remember reading that it's a sample of radio interference, which is rather odd since it sounds just like Trent.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Remember reading that it's a sample of radio interference, which is rather odd since it sounds just like Trent.
    I think that's caused by the music covering up a bunch of it and the assumption that if it isn't radio chatter, it'd have to be TR. From the sliver we can make out, I don't think there's anything specifically Trenty at all.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've always heard "what you did was try to stop it".

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

From ninwiki:

"The bridge of the song contains a sample of radio interference often confused with whispered lyrics. It can be heard more clearly in Keith Hillebrandt's remix of the song on Things Falling Apart."

On the Deviation version you can actually hear it twice in the song, at 2:55 and 4:18.You only hear it once on the regular version because Trent is singing over the 1st time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    From ninwiki:

"The bridge of the song contains a sample of radio interference often confused with whispered lyrics. It can be heard more clearly in Keith Hillebrandt's remix of the song on Things Falling Apart."

On the Deviation version you can actually hear it twice in the song, at 2:55 and 4:18.You only hear it once on the regular version because Trent is singing over the 1st time.
    Now that I know when the first time it happens is, I think I can BARELY hear it at the original time

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've always had a very hard time finding a way to explain this, since it's really one of those things you either have or don't.

Anyway, after listening to Purest Feeling and The Fragile: Deviations 1 again, I can state with absolute certainty that some Nine Inch Nails tracks actually trigger my ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) *It's also very popular on YouTube.*, especially when it comes to panning effects and certain electronic static, slamming and clicking sounds. (In case anybody's interested, or not only knows but has experienced ASMR, I even made a thread about it on the Speak your mind section.)

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...idian-Response

The static sounds from Closer to God, Appendage and No, You Don't also triggered it. With Deviations 1, it's definitely the crunchy sounds, plus the way the drums sound along with them. As for Purest Feeling, the panning has a lot to do with it, as played on Sanctified, Kinda I Want To, The Only Time, Twist and Down In It. (Especially with the Big Whole Mix version.) Trent's whispering and panning also helps, but even so, if it pans just right, I get my ASMR triggered regardless.

The most simplest and succinct way to describe ASMR is to perhaps imagine having pins and needles and goosebumps sensations around your scalp in the direction where the sounds are going. If intense enough, they'll actually go down from the top, back and sides of your head down to your spine and the rest of your body if you're lucky. ASMR also works best on headphones. In most cases, headphones are actually a must with ASMR.

When in the mood, I love it, because it really is like getting a scalp massage to go with the already immensely satisfying entertainment.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 02-27-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I just want to say that Trent managed to create one of the sleaziest sounding songs ever with "Memorabilia."
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 02-27-2017 at 11:12 PM.