Page 492 of 529 FirstFirst ... 392 442 482 490 491 492 493 494 502 ... LastLast
Results 14,731 to 14,760 of 15851

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Is Things Falling Apart widely regarded as the worst moment in NIN history?

the awful 2000, Fragile remix album, Further down the Spiral was really good, how the hell did it all go so wrong here?
    you pick that over the Perfect Drug single?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    i love all the perfect drug remixes
    i also love TFA (yes, including the starfuckers remixes)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    It always amused me: people bitch about Starfuckers remixes, which are all very different from album version and from each other, but have no problem with several very similar Mr Self Destruct versions from FDTS (specifically Part Two, Three and Final)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    imo TFA could be eight Starfuckers remixes, Metal, and Slipping Away, and I would still forgive it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    It always amused me: people bitch about Starfuckers remixes, which are all very different from album version and from each other, but have no problem with several very similar Mr Self Destruct versions from FDTS (specifically Part Two, Three and Final)
    That's likely because there is much more material across FDTS and the singles and EPs from that era, no?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    In high school I had this friend, best friend I guess. I was the huge NIN fan, and he lived and died at Bowie's alter. I was familiar/ liked Bowie, but I didn't live and breathe it like he did (my fav song being Ashes to Ashes). Of course when NIN toured with Bowie and Outside came out my friend began to see the virtues of NIN, and I introduced him to TDS and PHM. Later on, I was back from college on the weekend, picked my friend up, and we began our 25 min drive from the suburbs to a relatively small south/midwest city where there was a "goth/80s" night at a club we frequented.

I remember the mixtape I had at the time... as we hit the city lights and joined the city junctions, Fashion clicked on. It was one of those young, dumb and iconic moments when you're grooving and singing along and the lights float over the car, and you remember that for an age. I was the uber-goth and my friend was the flamboyant Bowie/ Boy George fan, both of us singing out hearts out. I had the stereo going loud as hell, the windows rolled down...and you felt like royalty for the night.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    In high school I had this friend, best friend I guess. I was the huge NIN fan, and he lived and died at Bowie's alter. I was familiar/ liked Bowie, but I didn't live and breathe it like he did (my fav song being Ashes to Ashes). Of course when NIN toured with Bowie and Outside came out my friend began to see the virtues of NIN, and I introduced him to TDS and PHM. Later on, I was back from college on the weekend, picked my friend up, and we began our 25 min drive from the suburbs to a relatively small south/midwest city where there was a "goth/80s" night at a club we frequented.

I remember the mixtape I had at the time... as we hit the city lights and joined the city junctions, Fashion clicked on. It was one of those young, dumb and iconic moments when you're grooving and singing along and the lights float over the car, and you remember that for an age. I was the uber-goth and my friend was the flamboyant Bowie/ Boy George fan, both of us singing out hearts out. I had the stereo going loud as hell, the windows rolled down...and you felt like royalty for the night.
    that’s a really fun story! You must have been delighted when Trent covered that last night!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    It was shock & delight. I'm so glad they did something outside the realm of expectation. Seeing Trent grooving out like that completely reminded me of dancing in the car with my friend.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    It was shock & delight. I'm so glad they did something outside the realm of expectation. Seeing Trent grooving out like that completely reminded me of dancing in the car with my friend.
    he also looks really hot. i kept forgetting to listen because i was just kind of staring at him haha

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    he also looks really hot. i kept forgetting to listen because i was just kind of staring at him haha
    Okay I'm glad someone said because good lord. I agree 100%. I practically lost my mind when I saw screencaps of Fashion.

But Trent grooving out is my favorite part of the performance. It's so much fun!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    We haven't had a traditional full length record in 8 years. I hope that happens this year.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    Okay I'm glad someone said because good lord. I agree 100%. I practically lost my mind when I saw screencaps of Fashion.

But Trent grooving out is my favorite part of the performance. It's so much fun!
    he looks happy, like he’s having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    he looks happy, like he’s having fun.

It looks like he really enjoyed the performance. You love to see it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    somewhat damaged has just been running on a loop in my head today, if that tells you where i'm at right now

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    ^^^ I’ve had those days. ~virtual hug in a consent option way.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I personally think the only thing wrong with Things Falling Apart is the absence of Complications of the Flesh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A few years back, my girlfriend at the time was making fun of these super stretched-out pajama pants of mine and joked that we could both wear them at the same time. So we tried it, and sure enough, we could!

Now all I can think when listening to WITT is, "You and me, wearin' this together now..."

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Today I learned NIN did a unique version of Terrible Lie intro on Australian 2009 tour with TR playing keys. They abandoned this intro for NINJA and later tours.

There are actually at least a few more songs that changed instrumentation between the legs of Wave Goodbye tour (including The Line Begins to Blur, The Collector, Right Where It Belongs)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Woah! That’s a cool find! I want to remember Survivalism & Metal from that portion of the tour had similar slow build up intros. I love it when they play with the arrangement

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Today I learned NIN did a unique version of Terrible Lie intro on Australian 2009 tour with TR playing keys. They abandoned this intro for NINJA and later tours.
    is there a show that contains this version on @ninlive ?

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    These two shows have TL but Trent don't play that synth at the start so no.
    https://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090217.html
    https://ninlive.com/shows/2009/20090224.html

Here's a video (by our Ryan I think?) from Sydney you can see a tech with a flashlight doing something on that synth, probably trying to fix it:
    Last edited by fillow; 01-14-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    There's no recording of that Adelaide show, but the other recordings on that tour had similar, but different and unique, improvised intros to Terrible Lie. Worth a listen:

https://ninlive.com/archives/2009.html

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Here's a video (by our Ryan I think?) from Sydney you can see a tech with a flashlight doing something on that synth, probably trying to fix it:
    Ah, I miss those days. My camera died right when The Fragile started.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Perfect Drug EP is weird too, but i think some of the remixes are interesting, Trent seemed like he was taking things in an exciting direction.

its only the Orb remix which sucks, although the Orb is one of my favourite artists and legendary, the remix was a joke.

the EP is Very 1997
    Meat Beat Manifesto, Plug, Spacetime Continuum are all really great electronic artists, Trent spoke a lot in the mid 90s talking about being influenced by electronica a lot more.
    He spoke fondly of Goldie and Drum and Bass...

he had Nothing records promote and release loads of. warp records electronic material like Autechre into American markets.
    this electronic influence did not really emerge on the Fragile which came out two years later, but Perfect Drug EP is an insight to something interesting from that period which might have gone somewhere.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    please let him tour with the longer hair. please!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Thinking of 2021 as just the next loop of the tape in The Background World, so made this

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)

Speaking of this show, they should open with The Frail/The Wretched more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    NEW – Edith Bowman interviews Reznor and Ross on Soundtrack Podcast!

Hello NIN fans!

BBC Radio presenter Edith Bowman talks to the dynamic duo about their soundtrack work – a really great podcast series – definitely check out the other episodes!

https://adamsteiner.uk/2021/01/23/new-edith-bowman-interviews-reznor-and-ross-on-soundtrack-podcast

I’ll be publishing a long form essay going in-depth on the making-of The Social Network soundtrack soon – coming soon on my blog.

My book INTO THE NEVER – a deep dive through The Downward Spiral is available now!

https://adamsteiner.uk/nine-inch-nails-into-the-never/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Today I was again reminded of the Rock-afire Explosion cover of 1,000,000:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Dear Trent, please cover Shock the Monkey by Peter Gabriel. Thanks.