Page 89 of 528 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 189 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 15839

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So after the NIN 2014 Euro/Australian dates....what do you think is next? Back to HTDA...2nd US leg for Tension 2014 or back to work on new material?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post
    I believe Brian Eno would disagree with that.
    He can if he'd like to, but the studio is processing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    i agree and disagree.

analogy: i am a decent photographer, but i am a wizard in the darkroom. i consider both halves simply a part of the creation.
    non-analogy: i am a good musician, able to play many different things, a terrible singer, and a very skilled engineer. i consider all of that a part of the creation.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I would think a second leg of the Tension Tour... seems like the norm for Trent to do two runs at a different set of venues each time.
    And hey, if he's up for it, why not some new music as well? I think it would be neat to release something new, small like an EP or something, for the 2nd run of the tour. He obviously has material leftover, throw some of those demo tracks fleshed out into full on tunes with some remixes and you got yourself a nice little release to sell during the next phase of the tour.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Feel free to announce the UK or even European tour dates right around the end of November... that would suit me just fine

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^me too, 2 friends of mine who will want to come are going on a trip to Madagascar for most of October so will be uncontactable to find out what dates ok for them. Going to have to do some off the cuff thinking and maybe get tickets that are unusable (particularly if we go for presale)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I sometimes like to imagine what it would have been like listening to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral in my childhood in elementary school, especially on the school bus. If so, I'd hopefully would've known better than to not curse just because there were curses in some of the songs. I was finishing up the 2nd grade when TDS came out, just to give you an idea of when I was born.

(I probably should've been in the 3rd grade though, but I usually didn't get along with school growing up, and I was born in October. I heard that kids born late in the year also start a year late too. -As I was born in October of 1985.-)

This means I could've been able to listen to all 3 CDs in my childhood on all those school bus rides in the 2nd grade to the 5th grade. (As in the years going no further than the Self Destruct, Outside, and Club tours, as an idea of when TDS was new and fresh with NIN's actual tour in that particular time frame.)

Then again, I'm sure in most normal cases, people born in 1985 or 1986 like myself obviously wouldn't have been allowed to listen to NIN, or go to NIN shows that young, even if they somehow got to know about NIN, and would been most likely "old enough" for NIN by the time The Perfect Drug and The Fragile came out.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-02-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It just hit me again... that nervous yet excited feeling as the NIN tour date draws nearer and nearer. 12 more fucking days.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Uh, I just stumbled into this awkward Reptile performance with Peter Murphy hanging upside down. How "gothy" and Spinal Tap of them. Thought I knew everything about this band...

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    while his lyric fumbling was borderline obnoxious (but much worse the night before), that was much more impressive in person than watching a youtube clip may imply. brilliant way to start an encore.

ps- in case you're not familiar with bauhaus, murphy has always been theatrical, part of his charm and charisma.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 10-02-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    and as someone who knows something about rigging, the idea of hanging someone like that is terrifying. he had guts to do it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i agree and disagree.

analogy: i am a decent photographer, but i am a wizard in the darkroom. i consider both halves simply a part of the creation.
    non-analogy: i am a good musician, able to play many different things, a terrible singer, and a very skilled engineer. i consider all of that a part of the creation.
    Fair enough.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Do you guys remember that in between "The Downward Spiral-The Fragile era" Trent said that he was very interested on doing a rap album with Dr Dre?

Obviously that never happened but today i was listening to "The Inevitable Rise and liberation of NiggyTardust" and i was wondering if some of those the ideas and production arrangements came out of that failed collaboration... what do you think?

I remember there even was a picture of Dre and Trent waaay before they were 'planning' to launch Daisy (RIP?) together...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    @henryeatscereal that picture exists because Dr dre helped produce Even Deeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Then again, I'm sure in most normal cases, people born in 1985 or 1986 like myself obviously wouldn't have been allowed to listen to NIN, or go to NIN shows that young, even if they somehow got to know about NIN, and would been most likely "old enough" for NIN by the time The Perfect Drug and The Fragile came out.

I was born in 1985 and although I didn't have the albums, I was familiar with Nine Inch Nails....especially the videos of Closer, Wish, and Hurt. When I dove into NIN at about 16, I feel like listening to Broken and The Downward Spiral was like getting a part of my childhood back. The Closer video has a lot of really comforting nostalgia for me. Weird but that somehow makes sense....

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Randome NIN thought: As a teenager, I was scared of Reptile and avoided that song all throughout my 20s. Now that I'm in my early 30s and seeing it played live, I love it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Oddly enough, it's one of the several "acoustic" versions of NIN songs they have at the karaoke I go to...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I get what you're saying, but no. Hendrix was an exceptional guitar player, and I'd say Trent is an excellent programmer and a competent singer/composer.

The studio isn't an instrument, the studio is where you bring your instruments and put together the layers.
    just to add my 2c; or rather, Reznor's:
    When sonic landscape is non-keyboard, Trent and company cut, paste, twist and mutate the audio in brilliant NIN fashion. "When it came to instruments that I didn't really know how to play, like the ukulele or the slide guitar," he says, "we were able to get some interesting sounds by making the studio the main instrument."
    http://www.theninhotline.net/archive.../xart183.shtml

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Also a good point. It was the darkroom comparison that clicked it for me.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Randome NIN thought: As a teenager, I was scared of Reptile and avoided that song all throughout my 20s. Now that I'm in my early 30s and seeing it played live, I love it.
    I like the fact that you ended up loving Reptile. However, seeing Reptile as one of my most favorite songs on The Downward Spiral got me thinking how much that would suck if I wouldn't be able to enjoy it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    ^I love how live versions change my opinions of the studio versions. AATCHB's The Great Below changed my perception of the song.

Some live versions are just better than the studio versions. Case in point: The Wretched and MOTP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you had a choice, would you rather have great songs that sound like shit or mediocre songs that sound amazing?

You can make really amazing beautiful, heavy, and even technical music sound awful in the studio if you don't know what/how to do with it in a correct fashion.
    You can make really mediocre, maybe even terrible music sound amazing and creative with a studio if you do know/how what to do with it in a correct fashion.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    ^I love how live versions change my opinions of the studio versions. AATCHB's The Great Below changed my perception of the song.

Some live versions are just better than the studio versions. Case in point: The Wretched and MOTP.
    Or Terrible Lie and Down In It. It's one of the reasons why I was always fascinated with the live aspect/entity of NIN. The mere thought of it is awesome to me, just knowing that if a first-timer were to hear Terrible Lie and Down In It live, they'd have no idea about the album version and vice-versa. I always thought that was cool.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    while his lyric fumbling was borderline obnoxious (but much worse the night before), that was much more impressive in person than watching a youtube clip may imply. brilliant way to start an encore.

ps- in case you're not familiar with bauhaus, murphy has always been theatrical, part of his charm and charisma.
    I can imagine it was impressive in person, but yeah, I'm familiar with Bauhaus and that theatrical scene. Although I find his hanging awkward I still think it's pretty awesome and hilarious. I would've loved to be a fly on the wall when Peter laid out his idea just to capture Trent's facial reaction.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    @henryeatscereal that picture exists because Dr dre helped produce Even Deeper

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    "helped produce"

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I remember reading somewhere that the Dre / Trent work connection went two ways, that Trent worked on some of Dre's material (2001 presumably, rather than the mythical Detox) around the same time. Does anyone have any information on the subject? I know he's not credited, but Dre is known for working with unnamed producers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if we're in for a few years of NIN now, sort of like 2005-09, where we got A BUNCH of albums, tours and collaborations. God I hope so

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post

Everyone has "Just fallen out of bed" hair. Apart from Lohner. Who looks like he needs to go to bed.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that the Dre / Trent work connection went two ways, that Trent worked on some of Dre's material (2001 presumably, rather than the mythical Detox) around the same time. Does anyone have any information on the subject? I know he's not credited, but Dre is known for working with unnamed producers.
    I remember that it was back in the same time Reznor said that he was going to be mostly a "Producer"...

I've been looking some info like a madman but i can't seem to find anything... just the stuff about "even deeper" and the "Daisy" streaming service...

Oh and this article that doesn't really give much info...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Do you guys remember that in between "The Downward Spiral-The Fragile era" Trent said that he was very interested on doing a rap album with Dr Dre?

Obviously that never happened but today i was listening to "The Inevitable Rise and liberation of NiggyTardust" and i was wondering if some of those the ideas and production arrangements came out of that failed collaboration... what do you think?

I remember there even was a picture of Dre and Trent waaay before they were 'planning' to launch Daisy (RIP?) together...

you've gotta love Charlie:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Clouser
    That picture of me, Trent, Dre, and Danny Lohner was taken at Larrabee studios I think, when Jimmy Iovine wanted to put two of his big acts in the room together and see what happened. We brought a bunch of half-finished tracks from "The Fragile" and experimented for a week or so to see what he could add, and we fiddled with a few of Dre's tracks. I don't remember if anything from those sessions actually made it onto "The Fragile", and I don't think anything we did wound up on "The Chronic 2001" - but that photo would have been from that era, around 1998 or so. That issue of Sound On Sound with the Proteus 2000 on the cover should be a clue.

I'd love to say that the picture depicts me schooling a couple of noobs on how to rock the racks, but it's probably just me setting the MIDI channel on the Triton or something boring like that. I think I'm actually setting up a band-pass filter and some effects on the Triton piano sound to get a tiny distant tone.

I do remember that Dre's rig was just an MPC-3000 with a Triton, a Studio Electronics MiniMoog, a Nord Lead, and some JV type Roland module, and that he'd stripe the tape for six minutes with each part just looping and then build the song arrangement by recording mute automation on the SSL. Live players would record to tape and then be sampled into the MPC, where the parts would get re-looped back to tape so that Dre could build the arrangement on the SSL - at least, that's what he was doing when we were there.

I will say that after a few years of bad New Orleans dirtweed it was definitely nice to get blazed on the quality with Dre, Mel-Man, and Snoop!
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7583882-post262.html

also, my memory is failing me on the source, but I recall an interview with Reznor and/or Moulder in which they talked about Dre being the mixing assistant on Even Deeper and him sort of being shocked at how many tracks they were using
    Last edited by screwdriver; 10-03-2013 at 09:38 AM.