Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I see what you mean. One of the things that I've always liked about NIN was how some of his records sometimes take me back to exactly how I felt when I listened to them the first time. Which was blown away and as good as it got. The Downward Spiral is definitely one of them.

But more than the first time? If only I could experience that, in spite of how much I've always loved The Downward Spiral. Talk about uber-awesome re-visited.
    Part of the reason it blew me away even more was because I was like 15 or 16 when I first listened to The Downward Spiral when I got into NIN in about 2010 (Can thank Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock for that - had Wish as one of the songs it I thought it kicked ass and made me curious to check out more by NIN haha) and thought 'this is pretty cool' but some of the songs didn't really grab me as much as they do now, mostly because at that point I had mostly listened to more pop-y or alternative stuff, nothing as heavy as NIN can get. Over the past year or so I've slowly been getting into back into NIN as for a while I started listening to stuff like The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead and I know how some of you feel about him but Marilyn Manson too and for a long time that stuff clicked with me so well and partly because of that and partially because of growing up I guess I got more of an appreciation of the detail and emotions and power that can come through music. I listened to The Fragile for the first time in full for a while and songs that I never really cared about before like The Way Out Is Through, Where is Everybody and The Big Come Down and The Fragile resonant with me so much more than ever before to the point where I think The Way Out is Through is probably in my top 5 of favorite songs ever. That build up to the loud part crashing down on you is beautiful. So when Trent announced the whole DE reissue thing I downloaded the files as soon as I could, i was most hyped for The Fragile and The Fragile Deviations 1 but issues with those twos downloads made me have to wait. Gave Broken a listen, just as good as I remembered - Gave Up which I neglected a bit before is now one I enjoy shitloads and when I sat down to listen to The Downward Spiral I was blown away on so many levels. I'm not going to lie, before then the only songs from The Downward Spiral that were memorable to me and I would listen to often were Mr. Self Destruct, Heresy, March of the Pigs, Reptile and Hurt but holy fucking shit the Ruiner>The Becoming>I Do Not Want This chain is 15 minutes of perfection. Sure I had listened to those songs on and off before and I feel stupid for not getting into them as much before but like I said I don't think the younger me appreciated them as much or most of NINs discography as a whole.
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-05-2017 at 06:47 AM.