Thread: Coachella 2013

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Much as I'd love to help, I can't really do that for just the opposite reason - we don't have an ISP that offers upload speeds above ONE Mbps, so starting a torrent is impossible. That said, I'm curious as to why a torrent would be better than a direct download if your download speed is an issue?
    It's not the speed, as much as it's the connection. I just moved into a place with a pretty bad DSL connection, which drops out frequently. So a direct download finishes part way, and then dies when the internet does too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    It's not the speed, as much as it's the connection. I just moved into a place with a pretty bad DSL connection, which drops out frequently. So a direct download finishes part way, and then dies when the internet does too.
    but your browser should be smart enough to pick the DL back up once the connection resumes, no?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    but your browser should be smart enough to pick the DL back up once the connection resumes, no?
    Nope. It doesn't. Either way, torrents are still a more efficient way of downloading.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Last time I used FireFox, I used an add-on that let me resume files that got interrupted.

Chrome can do it by default but it's janky.