Page 29 of 99 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 79 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    If you would like to torture yourself, twitter search "Who are Nine Inch Nails?"
    I apologize on behalf of my generation.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staleincense View Post
    I apologize on behalf of my generation.
    I'm 21, I think you underestimate my age. I apologise on behalf of my country.
    I feel insulted that Biffy Clyro (a sub-par Scottish arena band) are headlining, but it's more appealing to the teenage demographic who now attend R&L. I wish NIN were playing the NME Stage there, or Glastonbury. Fair enough them being under Smashing Pumpkins a few years ago, but putting them under a band like that... ugh. It's really upsetting me.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    For gigs at venues you have to transport your own PA and mixing board etc etc . For festivals you don't, just 'plug & play', that's it.
    Planning a few venue gigs in between, wouldn't be smart.
    Not true.

Venue gigs: the house, more likely than not, has their own system. And if they don't, you can find a local rental house to provide one - including all the transportation, personnel involved in running it, etc. All you do is pay for it. I'm pretty sure NIN uses Firehouse for all of their US tours (not sure about internationally), and I wouldn't be surprised if the incredibly diverse size & shape of venues on the Wave Goodbye tour led them to go with local/house PAs over a touring rig.

As for festivals, many artists DO bring their own consoles. I'm not saying the majority of them do, as that certainly hasn't been the case at any festival that I've worked (most acts just bring a show file that'll work on a festival provided console). But it's not at all uncommon for an artist to show up with their own consoles for both FOH (what the audience hears) and monitor world (what the band hears). Heck, I just did it last year.

Anyway, my point: planning a few venue gigs in between festivals, from a production standpoint, would not be all that difficult. It's not as seamless a process as touring with the same PA, same lighting, etc, but if you're hiring/renting from the right vendors, it's nothing that's extraordinarily difficult.

Oh, and who the heck is Biffy Clyro? Honest question; I had never even seen that name until this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel insulted that Biffy Clyro (a sub-par Scottish arena band) are headlining, but it's more appealing to the teenage demographic who now attend R&L. I wish NIN were playing the NME Stage there, or Glastonbury. Fair enough them being under Smashing Pumpkins a few years ago, but putting them under a band like that... ugh. It's really upsetting me.
    Same. NIN are easily big enough to headline the NME tent, which would be awesome and get rid of the Fall Out Boy demographic and all the "lads" who want to smash around to Biffy Clyro (youtube 'Mountains' if you want to know what they sound like, it's so meh).
    This could have been such a beautiful full circle type thing for me as well. The first time I ever came across NIN was watching their set at Reading in 2007 on TV as a little 15 year old and just being completely captivated. I even remember them doing Dead Souls and thinking, I must look up this Joy Division band. It marked my entry into the world of proper music.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    What backwards part of the country are you in? Ireland's full of NIN/Bowie fans.
    Louth, my friend. Louth. Full of orange tainted 'women' in tiny skirts listening to Rihanna and then the male equivalent doing a fair bit of stabbing and listening to Eminem and Swedish House Mafia. It's a horrible, twisted part of the country...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    prepare yourself for "PLAY THE FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL SONG!" heckles.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Biffy do have some interesting tracks and used to be quite enjoyable to listen to. Loved the screaming and mental time signatures. They've just kind of conformed now and are quite average. NIN really should be the top of that bill. Or at least swap NIN with Green Day and give us SOAD followed by NIN closing. In an ideal world, I suppose.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCmuse View Post
    Louth, my friend. Louth. Full of orange tainted 'women' in tiny skirts listening to Rihanna and then the male equivalent doing a fair bit of stabbing and listening to Eminem and Swedish House Mafia. It's a horrible, twisted part of the country...
    Ah, Louth. I almost took a job there, I'm glad I didn't. Then again, I am from Donegal.

Back on topic, I'm hopeful it won't be arenas for Europe next year. The 2005/2007 setup for the UK was fine.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Alright, if they are doing a proper worldwide tour in '14, I'm willing to wait. Can't afford a festival I like, can't stand the majority of the lineup at the ones I can afford.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Ugh, yuck. Like 19 year olds know/care who NIN are anyway.
    exactly... they'll be off watching captain foetus and the embryos on the zane lowe stage... and I'll hopefully get NIN all to myself

shame they aren't doing saturday, I would love to see NIN and then swan off to see magnetic man

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Here's what you do in a situation like this:

1. Get up front
    2. Ignore everything behind you

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Honestly, even if someone gave me a free ticket (which happened last year), I would not be very willing to go to the shithole that is Reading Festival. Playing festivals is fine, there's crazy people who like them and rich people who pay them to play. But play SOMETHING else for the fans who don't want to see a 40 minute set without soundcheck for the better part of 100 quid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To speak on behalf of all my fellow German speakers: Selber schuld.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I don't know what a Biffy Clyro is either, goddamn i'm getting old...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Calling it now. Nine Inch Nails/The Cure/2013

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbron View Post
    Calling it now. Nine Inch Nails/The Cure/2013
    I'd die if that happened. That would be the ultimate tour.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
    Here's what you do in a situation like this:

1. Get up front
    2. Ignore everything behind you
    I used to be the type to do that, but I quickly lost interest. The acoustics at the very front are almost universally awful, and its insanely uncomfortable. At some point, your essentially losing what you paid for unless you specifically came there to put your tongue on Trents shoes.

These days, I'm the kind of guy who finds the sweet spot at the edge of the crowd and the middle of the venue.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm 21, I think you underestimate my age. I apologise on behalf of my country.

Its totally justified in this situation. NIN with the exception of The Hand that Feeds and the CDUK performance (lol) have never been part of the mainstream UK consciousness. They have always been this cult thing on the outside, Biffy have always put the work in ensuring their music is heard over here, you have to suck dick and go through hoops to get big, NIN have always refused to do that. Some American bands do that over here Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, but for some reason NIN never did. Dont know if it was to do with management of whatever. NIN are undoubtedly bigger than Biffy 30 Million records hello! and more important but right here right now in 2013 Biffy are bigger in the commercial sense. It seems wrong absurd and unjustified and stupid that NIN are below them but The Cure headlined last year and apparently they got a really small crowd. The 15 year olds were more interested in Skillex or some shit.

Reading Festival is ghastly! Its not the same thing as it was. It used to be our British Coachella but has gradually sold out. I dont really know what goes through out the minds of the people who create that lineup this years one is very schizophrenic. Its just about making money really! Its used to be about promoting underground music. However i really enjoyed NIN there in 2007 they got a bigger crowd than The Smashing Pumpkins. I reckon they will acctually get a bigger crowd than Biffy but i just think its too risky for the promoters to give NIN a headline spot.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    ^^^it does help Biffy that they ARE from the UK though. There's a few bands like that, Oasis for example, who are insanely big in the UK but not really worldwide.

I think NIN should do Later with Jools Holland, about the only uk music show I can think of

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm surprised that Jools hasn't picked them up yet. They'd do well with some Radio 4 coverage, too.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think NIN should do Later with Jools Holland, about the only uk music show I can think of
    Omg that would be amazing, especially as Later... generally has more acoustic settings.

Trent: Zane Lowe sucks, do Jools Holland.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCmuse View Post
    So, the Irish version of Essex?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've never been to Essex but from what I've heard... yeah.. more or less.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I spent the first 7 years of my life in Essex! The porton on the east side of the motorway is the bumhole of London - in hackney or homerton you'll at least get stabbed out of your misery at some point.

NIN is pretty culty in the UK but still very popular - sold out the o2 arena in 2009, every album from spiral to zero cracked the top ten, etc. But yeah, UK media is full of homework averse cokeheads who will probably say "nine inch who?" and phone up whatever poptards are on never mind the buzzcocks this week

Always thought it was odd NIN never did a Peel session

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Everything about that post is delicious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    This is pretty much the funniest mental image of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker973 View Post
    As soon as I get a non-work-night, I'll give you a setlist to rival my speculative list of openers... Let's just say that @NINfan04 's "Row Row Row your fuckin' boat" is definitely going to be on the list.
    lol like I said, I don't care what they play!

For me, it would be nice to hear songs like Happiness In Slavery, Ghosts 13, Maybe Just Once, All the Pigs All Lined Up version of MOTP, Sunspots, Getting Smaller, The Perfect Drug, And All That Could Have Been (song), La Mer, Just Like You Imagined, Somewhat Damaged, etc... I know SOME of those were played live here and there or at rehearsals but most haven't been.

I guess we're going to have to wait until July to find out what might be played live.
    Last edited by NINfan04; 03-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthebear View Post
    Everyone is missing the big picture here. Last time NIN played Reading/Leeds, they played after lostprophets and the end result was Ilan Rubin in the band.

This time around they're playing after Fall Out Boy. See you later Avery, next time we're having PETE FUCKING WENTZ.
    So, in a very demented way you are comparing one of the best rock drummers of today to a shitty wannabe rockstar pop punk bassist?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by assume2much View Post
    So, in a very demented way you are comparing one of the best rock drummers of today to a shitty wannabe rockstar pop punk bassist?

You get jokes right?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Always thought it was odd NIN never did a Peel session
    it's never too late to try :')

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I was doing some research about when they announced U.S. dates the last time there was a fall arena tour (2005) and it wasn't until the middle of June. I hope we don't have to wait that long this time around.