Page 87 of 99 FirstFirst ... 37 77 85 86 87 88 89 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 2970

Thread: Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    What is a song, if not part of a setlist?
    The Perfect Drug.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    HiS, TPD ... it's all wishful thinking guys!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    The Perfect Drug.

I see what you did there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you guy / gals really want to see a 2013 version of Happiness In Slavery , unless something major happens we wont see the chaos of smashed guitars ,keyboards , it would take alot to compete with the live versions of long ago.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I actually have a very clear picture in mind how they can pull it off with this more techy incarnation of the band! It's not about the Woodstock-style show for me but the power of the song itself and the synth noodling towards the end that makes the song appealing to me! And I'm dying to hear it with Trent's deeper voice and elder roughness and I have a firm believe that a new version could be jaw dropping!

EDIT: listened to some bootlegs again and I have to agree: it might be a bit too rough for the current NIN sound, but heck, why not? We even got Robin in the band again who is familiar with the song ready to bop his head with it and we got some pretty great guys on synths who can apart from being able to do everything in the world go apeshit with this gem of a song. And c'mon how great would be if they all of a sudden blast this one out after HMIAIH when everyone is expecting me, I'm not or the warning?

Get a nice pit going, turn on the smoke machine, make some noise and here we go! slave screams!!!

EDIT 2: Yeah, damn right! I'm obsessed!
    Last edited by dlb; 09-12-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I didn't say songs but a setlist.
    Obviously, the classics will remain.
    Will they? He just played all of his classics at almost every festival, and most of them streamed it, so everyone has a proper footage of them.

Quote Originally Posted by That other guy View Post
    Do you guy / gals really want to see a 2013 version of Happiness In Slavery , unless something major happens we wont see the chaos of smashed guitars ,keyboards , it would take alot to compete with the live versions of long ago.
    I don't know, it's somewhat like Terrible Lie in terms of fucking Trent up. He might think "nah, I'm too old for this shit", but he'd surely go crazy by the time he sings the second verse. It just needs some adjustments for the second part.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Will they? He just played all of his classics at almost every festival, and most of them streamed it, so everyone has a proper footage of them.
    uhhh . . ??? (the main purpose of concerts isn't usually for streaming or recording. people still want to hear them live, although opinions on how much and which tracks obviously varies.)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    uhhh . . ??? (the main purpose of concerts isn't usually for streaming or recording. people still want to hear them live, although opinions on how much and which tracks obviously varies.)
    Yes, but he knows he is not forced to play some kind of "here's all my famous songs" set for this leg of the tour, and the fact that everyone could listen to the 2013 versions of these played-to-death songs just adds to the that he should be more willing to switch them up.

I'd really like Hurt to be dropped for example (like appearing in every 4th or 5th show), because there are so many nice replacements for it, some he never even played live.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I would rather TDTWWA replace Hurt and Suck replace Only and anything replace THTF....forget about 2013 Slavery, it will never happen...TR couldn't even pull those screams off anymore, and the equipment is too expensive these days to trash them every night lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I would rather TDTWWA replace Hurt and Suck replace Only and anything replace THTF....forget about 2013 Slavery, it will never happen...TR couldn't even pull those screams off anymore, and the equipment is too expensive these days to trash them every night lol
    For other screams he usually just takes them down an octave or so and turns them into melodic lines. He could easily do the same on HIS without totally changing the vibe.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    For other screams he usually just takes them down an octave or so and turns them into melodic lines. He could easily do the same on HIS without totally changing the vibe.
    i would love to hear a deep-voiced version of happiness in slavery. that would be super sexy.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    ^^ this!

And Trent is doing pretty well on burn throughout all these years aswell doing his high pitched screams and keeping it low on the other parts. Way better than the studio version IMHO.

For the gear trashing breakdown just pull a the great destroyer and have screaming slave sampled with the band all lined up twisting knobs and some wicked glitch-fest as the backdrop. And once again: smoke, smoke, smoke. Make it look like hell!

I don't want to see a Woodstock 2013 but a re-imagining of this fucking great song! Have fun with it and elevate it with some great visuals / stage set up! Listen to the London 1994 bootleg. That version is a bit more focused than the Woodstock gig and actually my prefered version of the song.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    EDIT: double post, sorry! Should have been a simple edit...

There it is [1:14:50]:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    i dunno. the screaming of "slave screams" seems kind of intrinsic to the song. there could definitely be a way to change the song to it still works, but i don't think it's necessarily as easy as in other songs. i think finding creative solutions to perform is a good thing, but there's just that much more potential that it's dropped in rehearsal (if it's even tried).

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I went to Pukkelpop this year and I've been actively reading an associated thread at the forum dedicated to international festivals. People there were actually complaining about NIN not playing Closer and Hurt!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i dunno. the screaming of "slave screams" seems kind of intrinsic to the song. there could definitely be a way to change the song to it still works, but i don't think it's necessarily as easy as in other songs. i think finding creative solutions to perform is a good thing, but there's just that much more potential that it's dropped in rehearsal (if it's even tried).
    he doesn't do any vocals during the choruses of gave up (playback and the other band members take care of that) so i'm sure something similar could be done for happiness in slavery.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I want to hear Satellite and While Im Still Here, with Trent playing the sax part live.

That and Happiness in fuckin' Slavery.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    he doesn't do any vocals during the choruses of gave up (playback and the other band members take care of that) so i'm sure something similar could be done for happiness in slavery.
    ah. yeah. a call and response could work really well, actually . . man, now i'm excited for something that probably won't happen.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    it will! jesus you fucking people! IT WILL HAPPEN!!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Obviously, the classics will remain.
    Remember when they did an entire summer tour without playing Closer at any of the shows?

Yeah..."obviously" doesn't work with Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I do not understand what is wrong with playing the classics in the first place. You have to remember, just because we have seen NIN multiple times doesn't mean everyone has. There are people who are seeing NIN for the 1st time. Closer, HLAH and Hurt should always be in the line up. I am just glad Wish seems to be a classic too. The bottom line is no matter what the set list is, someone is always going to be disappointed that a song wasn't played.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I do not understand what is wrong with playing the classics in the first place. You have to remember, just because we have seen NIN multiple times doesn't mean everyone has. There are people who are seeing NIN for the 1st time. Closer, HLAH and Hurt should always be in the line up. I am just glad Wish seems to be a classic too. The bottom line is no matter what the set list is, someone is always going to be disappointed that a song wasn't played.
    I'd say NIN does a good job of keeping in the hits and throwing in other lesser known tracks into the setlist. I've never had an issue with what they pick to play. Other bands though...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    I'd say NIN does a good job of keeping in the hits and throwing in other lesser known tracks into the setlist. I've never had an issue with what they pick to play. Other bands though...
    I agree, which is why I don't see the big deal in playing the hits. I admit, there is one song, I have only seen live once, a very long time ago that I want to hear. The odds are not very likely so do I get a but bummed? A little, but every show I have seen during the WT era has been amazing because of the cities and the people I was with so if I never hear it, it's okay. I get it. This time I am only going to two shows and both will be different because one is an arena and one is Vegas so I will be happy. Hell, I am just thrilled he is touring again.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I don't mind the "hits" when they are "head like a hole" "wish" "MOTP"....but TR apparently thinks 'only' 'hand that feeds' and 'survivalism' are "hits" which is the problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't mind the "hits" when they are "head like a hole" "wish" "MOTP"....but TR apparently thinks 'only' 'hand that feeds' and 'survivalism' are "hits" which is the problem
    Yeah, the singles from W_T/YZ eras are kinda bland. TR should replace Survivalism, THTF and Only with The Great Destroyer, Home and Discipline.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Those three were hits or at least the singles that had videos so generally people know what they are. I love THTF.
    Only and Survivorlism I could take or leave but he isn't doing the show just for us, it is for people who may only know the more recent hits. I really like the new song Everything too and it seems that most people don't like it but should he not play it? I don't know, I hope he does. Maybe one day he will be like Springsteen and play for three hours with no opening band and then everyone would be happy right? I doubt it. There is no right or wrong answer here, he is going to play whatever he wants and people like it or they don't.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    i've been to a lot of NIN concerts, mostly in the late 2000s. and i've never seen the crowd as a whole act uninterested in hearing any of those hits. and that includes the few final-leg wave goodbye shows i went to (where people weren't necessarily expecting the hits).
    Last edited by m15a; 09-12-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Yup- people need to stop semi-complaining about "the hits". Doesn't matter what band you go see, a vast majority of the people that attend any concert are casual fans. It's good to play them and more often than not those popular songs are the ones that get the best reaction. Some people wanna see Still and Ghosts played- you'll also see a lot of people leaving early and hear crickets half way through the show.

According to ETS stats the most ever users on here was just over 600- that would be one of the smaller Wave Goodbye shows. Arena tours shouldn't be tailored to the hard core fan that wants B-sides and the deep cuts.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Yup- people need to stop semi-complaining about "the hits". Doesn't matter what band you go see, a vast majority of the people that attend any concert are casual fans. It's good to play them and more often than not those popular songs are the ones that get the best reaction. Some people wanna see Still and Ghosts played- you'll also see a lot of people leaving early and hear crickets half way through the show.

According to ETS stats the most ever users on here was just over 600- that would be one of the smaller Wave Goodbye shows. Arena tours shouldn't be tailored to the hard core fan that wants B-sides and the deep cuts.
    and don't forget that a lot of the hardcore fans like those songs, too. i wouldn't be surprised if the hits are the most popular live songs even among regular NIN concert goers. (because i'm guessing most people like at least some of those hits and there are a lot more non-hits to choose from.) and, of course, there are hardcore NIN fans that haven't even been to a concert yet.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    and don't forget that a lot of the hardcore fans like those songs, too. i wouldn't be surprised if the hits are the most popular live songs even among regular NIN concert goers. (because i'm guessing most people like at least some of those hits and there are a lot more non-hits to choose from.) and, of course, there are hardcore NIN fans that haven't even been to a concert yet.
    Agreed. I like just about all the hits- outside of maybe Survivalism that has been a staple since YZ came out. I think even other fans feed off the energy. Pretty easy to do.