Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Things That Piss You Off - more bitching about your mom

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    My girlfriend's dad's wife. This time, she made a huge deal about the 500th episode of The Simpsons, and how she wanted all of us to sit around together and be a part of tv history and share the moment....And then told us she'd never seen a single episode. "I just think it's so funny. I was listening to them talk about it on NPR, and they were commentating about the discussions of worldly education that they depict in the show and how that reflects on society. For example - they were having an 'Ethiopian dinner' in one episode, and the little girl, I can't remember her name, but she's the smart one in the family, she was saying how she was just so absolutely thrilled about it, because she could put her experience of eating the food on her future college resume! Ha! Ha!"

She is INCREDIBLY wordy, in case you couldn't tell. This is how she describes eeeverything - In slow, wordy, overly precise detail.
    So...basically like NPR?

Quote Originally Posted by Fixer808 View Post
    I now hate your girlfriend's dad's wife.
    Don't have a cow, man.*

*=yes, I hate myself for making that joke.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    im so tired of the drama my friends seem to love to create and try to involve me in. ive had almost a dozen people call/text/facebook me trying to explain their side of the story. Look, i love you guys like brothers, but I am NOT taking sides in your pissing match. Yes, we can hang out and get some eat and toss some brews back, but i DO NOT want to hear your lawyer-style defense/prosecution case. Stop being a drama queen about dumb shit.

am i being too apathetic?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post
    im so tired of the drama my friends seem to love to create and try to involve me in. ive had almost a dozen people call/text/facebook me trying to explain their side of the story. Look, i love you guys like brothers, but I am NOT taking sides in your pissing match. Yes, we can hang out and get some eat and toss some brews back, but i DO NOT want to hear your lawyer-style defense/prosecution case. Stop being a drama queen about dumb shit.

am i being too apathetic?
    Heh, i think that's reasonable. I hate getting in the middle of things myself. Two of my friends from school were together and then broke up recently, and it was awkward as shit- every time i tried talking to the girl she would start talking about the break up and how much she wants to be back together with him, and how much she fucked up and what should she doooooo- and i'm like "whaaaat the fuuuck don't ask me...." especially since I know the guy too. They are back together again, and they better stay that way until the end of the semester >=[

Edit.
    Also, i woke up at 7 am, on my own a few minutes before the alarm, got my coffee, got ready for work, but then checked my email and remembered i don't go to work today but tomorrow. I can't exactly go back to sleep now, mmmm....
    Last edited by halloween; 02-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Dear History Channel:
    PAWN STARS IS NOT FUCKING HISTORY. More documentaries about Nazi gold and Pol Pot, goddammit.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dear History Channel:
    PAWN STARS IS NOT FUCKING HISTORY. More documentaries about Nazi gold and Pol Pot, goddammit.
    Thank you.
    History Channel has been falling off as of lately. I agree!

The gaming world really needs to stop subjecting gamers to buying 4 different copies of a game to get exclusive content from other retailers. Same thing with music and bonus songs or content. And people wonder why others download music?

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Dear History Channel:
    Thank you.
    H2 is your friend.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Just spent ten minutes wiping dried dog shit off the bottom of my shoe with hot water, q-tips, and paper towels.
    Anyone who leaves their dog's shit on the sidewalk is a really poor excuse for a human being.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    The gaming world really needs to stop subjecting gamers to buying 4 different copies of a game to get exclusive content from other retailers. Same thing with music and bonus songs or content. And people wonder why others download music?
    Definitely! Especially when it comes to bonus tracks or shirts or posters only included on foreign releases of any particular album. I WANT to buy the products, but I'm not going to jump through hoops to order it from another country. Just give the fans the OPTION to pay for the extra goods, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dear History Channel:
    Thank you.
    ABSOLUTELY THIS. i remember when History and TLC was gold to watch skipping grade school class.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    If you come over to my house unannounced while I'm watching a Lakers game, I will ignore you. DON'T GIVE ME ATTITUDE OR MAKE A DRAMATIC DOOR-SLAMMING EXIT WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

Fucking drama queens.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tireless.mind View Post
    ABSOLUTELY THIS. i remember when History and TLC was gold to watch skipping grade school class.
    You really didn't just say skipping grade school to watch TLC? Awesome.

Same could be said for The Bravo Channel, which is now the Real Housewives channel.

Reality is - Pawn Stars and the like sell advertising and that's the only thing keeping them alive. Pol Pot does not sell trucks, laundry detergent or disability insurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    You really didn't just say skipping grade school to watch TLC? Awesome.

Same could be said for The Bravo Channel, which is now the Real Housewives channel.

Reality is - Pawn Stars and the like sell advertising and that's the only thing keeping them alive. Pol Pot does not sell trucks, laundry detergent or disability insurance.
    sometimes The Price is Right made a convincing offer too.

well he should, dammit! how amazing would that be? probably less amazing than a world without arbitrary systematic death and appalling totalitarian regimes. but pretty damn odd.

i was going to make an old man comment about the degeneration of TV. but while informative, documentary cable TV has taken a pretty tough slide. actual entertainment is amazing. How I Met Your Mother obliterates Friends.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tireless.mind View Post

i was going to make an old man comment about the degeneration of TV. but while informative, documentary cable TV has taken a pretty tough slide. actual entertainment is amazing. How I Met Your Mother obliterates Friends.
    Old man? Pahlease. New Girl > How I Met Your Mother. OK, maybe not.

I'm having such a shitty day at work, I just told myself not to reply to any more emails because I know I'm going to go postal and it's going to come across. For some reason, in a business full of techy men, I'm appreciated: bitch white female nerd. Go figure.

I'm still turning off email. I need this job more than ever.
    Last edited by Dra508; 02-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    someday, insomnia, you and i are going to stop being friends. i would love to sleep soundly every single night for the rest of my life.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Freaking sports fans. "ALRIIIIGHT! WE DID IT!" What did you do? Man, you watched the SHIT out of that game! Good work!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Freaking sports fans. "ALRIIIIGHT! WE DID IT!" What did you do? Man, you watched the SHIT out of that game! Good work!
    My facebook was nothing but "ROCK CHAWK" today. I am so sick of hearing about KU.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
    My facebook was nothing but "ROCK CHAWK" today. I am so sick of hearing about KU.
    Amen. I'm going to KU next year, and I'm absolutely counting on not going to a SINGLE KU game. IF I do go to one, it'll only be because I have to run cameras.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Amen. I'm going to KU next year, and I'm absolutely counting on not going to a SINGLE KU game. IF I do go to one, it'll only be because I have to run cameras.
    My uncle and a friend of mine goes to KU and they love it. I've visited it a few times. Pretty cool place. I'm sure you'll like it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I only listened to the Canucks/Dallas game on the radio, that must be why we lost.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I spent six hours today trying to record the bassline for a song, and nothing I did worked. For some reason the tone just didn't fit. I've never had such a hard time getting the goddamn bass to sound right... I feel like I've lost my mind and my ears are completely fried.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i hate when that happens. i especially hate trying to fiddle with a delay pedal through a synth. everytime i get it just right, i leave for the day and come back to a whole new setting.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Today seems to be making a lot of people feel down, myself included.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    My OCD is getting really, really bad. There are times when I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown over this crap.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    My OCD is getting really, really bad. There are times when I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown over this crap.
    Dude: as much as I know it doesn't help for me to say don't worry about it; don't worry about it.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^Heh...well, I do appreciate it. And I am trying to fight it, though it's really hard. I don't remember what it's called, but there's a type of therapy where you basically force yourself to not give in to the compulsions, and over time it eventually kind of wears away at it and the OCD gets better. I don't have insurance, so I can't see a therapist about this at the moment (which would definitely help, and which I need) but I'm getting better at ignoring my compulsions, hoping they'll start to ease up a bit. It damn near became a necessity, because I'm getting to the point where I just can't handle this level of anxiety all the time, and I forced myself to start trying to improve it. Baby steps, but it's a start.
    Last edited by theruiner; 02-29-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Cognitive Behaviour Therapy? There's a technique to battle negative thinking which asks you put your thought into a sentence, and then to answer the following:

What is the evidence that this is going to happen? What is the evidence that this is not going to happen?
    What are the advantages of thinking this way? What are the disadvantages of thinking this way?
    What would you say to a friend that said this?

It's something you have to keep thinking over like a mantra. It is pretty hard to do, but you might notice your spirits lift momentarily when you do it and then perhaps the effects will last longer each time.

Breaking down your actions to the smallest detail also helps. I used to be physically sick at the thought of meeting new people. Now I just think "we're just going to get dressed, nothing else, we're just getting dressed". Then we're just putting our eyeliner on, then we're just putting our shoes on, then we're just getting our train, then we're just walking to this place, and then you're there and you may as well go in. This still works very well for me because I have a tendency to dwell on bad things that have happened, even years after the fact, and keeping busy is a good way to stay positive.

Sorry if this is patronising, but hopefully even a reminder will be of use.
    Last edited by icklekitty; 02-29-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: I done more writing.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    ^^Heh...well, I do appreciate it... Baby steps, but it's a start.
    See, here's the thing. This is a bit reductionist, but here we go. You're a smart individual; that's clear. So it seems clear to me that you can get to the point of wellness, of not sweating the small stuff. I'm not a doctor or a therapist or whoever might be able to tell you how to get to that point of wellness. But it's blindingly clear to me that you can.

So either you will, or you won't. If you won't it's because you haven't tried, or haven't looked hard enough, or live in a country that fucks you over because you're not lucky enough to be born rich. Prost.

I was a bit compulsive about some things, and I learned to let them go. I'm sure it's nothing as serious as your situation, because I was able to do so simply by giving myself a good talking to. But I can be pretty stern. Oh well.

Good luck, buddy.
    Last edited by Timinator; 02-29-2012 at 05:25 AM. Reason: I'm a moron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fuck internship hunting. I'm smart damn it, stop picking classmates who are passing because of my help over me!

Ok, that's not nice. But still, its irritating.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I was really looking forward to having some privacy this weekend but it turns out that my parents changed their mind about heading away for the weekend. Hoo-fucking-ray...

I hate to sound like a bitching teenager but I was really looking forward to spending some alone time with my girlfriend. Doesn't look like that'll happen any time soon.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Just found out that a prof in my dept has just published a book on a topic which is very close to that of my dissertation. They laugh at you, they say you can't write on this or that. Then they go do it. Wonderful.