Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2013.08.25 - Reading, UK @ Reading Festival

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I'm still seeding so you should at least get a bit out of my files.

and yes, big love to TR for his "fuck rock 'n' roll by the way" line after me, I'm not!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    To be honest, I'm pretty disappointed that Trent took a dig a Biffy for this.

Fine, go nuts at the promoter or whatever, but Biffy are a decent, hardworking band, they are MUCH bigger than NIN here in the UK, and deserve the headlining spot.

Anywhere else in the world, and it's the other way round, but not in the UK unfortunately.

I'm sure it's not Biffy's fault that there was a screw up, they don't seem like the type of band to want to ruin anothers' performance.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

2013.8.25 - Reading, UK @ Reading Festival

Set list seems to blow Leeds out of the water. Smug that I didn't bother with leeds, I'd have been pissed that reading out classed it. Awesome list actually with SD half way. To download this tonight or HM, that's the question...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wink

I was at the right of the stage, and although crowd were fairly subdued during first half of set, they were clapping along, although didn't seem to know anything about the band - someone next to me asked if Trent was the singer after he had started singing. But during Beginning Of The End a few fans started appearing, and by end of Wish, whole place was jumping (bar those that were at the front waiting for Biffy). Having seen the band quite a few times, was delighted that got to hear new and more unusual tracks - thought it was one of the best performances I have seen them give. Although it would have been nice to see the light show, did like the freedom of not playing the arranged tracks gave them. Roll on April!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would have loved to see this show. The setlist is very unusual for a NIN gig. Surely it's because I've seen them a few times since TF era but I've grown tired of hearing every single time Wish, MOTP, Terrible Lie, Head like a hole, Hurt, etc. These are great songs but they could play some of them and not all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frydek View Post
    I would have loved to see this show. The setlist is very unusual for a NIN gig. Surely it's because I've seen them a few times since TF era but I've grown tired of hearing every single time Wish, MOTP, Terrible Lie, Head like a hole, Hurt, etc. These are great songs but they could play some of them and not all of them.
    totally agree man even at the scala show i kinda did a little sigh when they played MOTP, THTF and head like a hole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2013.8.25 - Reading, UK @ Reading Festival

Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    I agree with this. But its the scheduling I can't understand. You have system of a down, NIN, deftones, and countless other heavy bands on and you stick NIN there?

Surely NIN under System and Biffy under Green Day would've made much more sense.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antpatty View Post
    totally agree man even at the scala show i kinda did a little sigh when they played MOTP, THTF and head like a hole
    Considering the gig at Scala was supposed to be for fans only, I was fairly disappointed with the setlist. I don't know why they're not a little more daring with the song selection after all these years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post

Fine, go nuts at the promoter or whatever, but Biffy are a decent, hardworking band, they are MUCH bigger than NIN here in the UK, and deserve the headlining spot.

Anywhere else in the world, and it's the other way round, but not in the UK unfortunately.

I'm sure it's not Biffy's fault that there was a screw up, they don't seem like the type of band to want to ruin anothers' performance.
    Completely agree.

I think TR was a little naive to think he would get any sort of production values at all when he wasn't the headliner and I think he is completely out of line with the BC slur - its not the first time he has been disparaging towards them either - as soon as they were announced he came out with similar missives - if they were told about this then you can hardly blame them if they had any involvement in what occurred.

Also - I'm not sure who was responsible on the band's side for getting them on this bill, but Leeds and Reading is really unsuitable to the kinds of audience that NIN attracts. The demographic seems to be 14-15 year old emo kids. Apart from anything else, at this point in his career, Trent Reznor should really not be playing support to anyone.......

FWIW, I don't know any BC stuff...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    remember that biffy were confirmed headliners before nin were even announced.....possibly even before nin announced the whole reformation-album-comeback thing.

reading didn't even seem to be emo kids, it seemed to be largely trendy "top-shop's festival range" wearing pop fans who couldn't get tickets for v-festival.
    Last edited by d-signet; 08-26-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering the gig at Scala was supposed to be for fans only, I was fairly disappointed with the setlist. I don't know why they're not a little more daring with the song selection after all these years.
    i hate THTF live mainly because when they start playing it you know the show is drawing to an end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antpatty View Post
    i hate THTF live mainly because when they start playing it you know the show is drawing to an end
    Haha yes it's true! That's exactly what I thought at the Rock en Seine show.

During the LITS tour, I remember people leaving the venue when Hurt started. I guess they thought it was the last song but In This Twilight was coming next and many missed it. A surprise might sometimes come next, who knows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainkurtz View Post
    Trent Reznor should really not be playing support to anyone.......
    It was pretty cool when NIN opened for Jane's Addiction during the NINJA tour
    Apart from that, right with you on this one. But that's how it goes in festivals I guess. Otherwise, they'd have to skip quite a few. It was actually OK at Rock en Seine although Phoenix was headlining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jane's opened for NIN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sore_and_crucified View Post
    Jane's opened for NIN.
    Maybe in the UK but not in North America

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Maybe in the UK but not in North America
    Would have preferred it your way around. Those nipples have scarred me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Would you have preferred Biffy | NIN tour then?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    it was definitely the right way round, trent might not know them (they are only just making waves in the US) they are fucking huge here. NIN is a weird choice for that festival, or that day at least.
    it won't have been Biffys doing at all either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The footage is fucking awesome.
    goddamn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone post the YouTube link yet?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    FUCK THE BBC
    Why the fuck did bbc not show nin what the fuck were they thinking i could not go so i was looking forward to see them live from the bbc on sunday night
    what a fuckin joke i dont normaly swear but that pissed me right off
    Last edited by humie74; 08-27-2013 at 02:50 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    You can tell in this performance that Trent isn't very happy with things, especially during The Warning where it seems like he's just mocking with his movements and wearing a hoodie while Josh Eustis seems to have a shit eating grin on his face about it. They also ramped up the fog machines to the point where you can barely see the band perhaps as a statement, but it makes the performance look amazing in certain ways.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 08-27-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Josh Eustis seems to have a shit eating grin on his face about it..
    I can barely watch that with a straight face with him in that Hoody, oh my...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was very close to the stage but the kids around me were so boring ... I felt they are in a wrong gig or waiting for the next band... it wasnt a good vibe unfortunately .. sounded good but the Scala gig is what THE CONCET this at Reading was something else ... Looking forward to see NIN in Milan tomorrow

will post a few pictures later...

I enjoyed the slow electro set at the beginning ... fuck rock n roll ...
    remember when they played their slow songs at a hardcore metal Sonisphere festival in 2009 ?

and yes ..no production...I was very disappointed
    Last edited by zsorzs; 08-27-2013 at 03:32 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zsorzs View Post

I enjoyed the slow electro set at the beginning ... fuck rock n roll ...
    remember when they played their slow songs at a hardcore metal Sonisphere festival in 2009 ?
    The songs they've played live so far from HM are basically a hipster's wet dream, and that's who populates Reading. But yeah, pretty much any time NIN plays live to strangers the audience gets a shock.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by humie74 View Post
    FUCK THE BBC
    Why the fuck did bbc not show nin what the fuck were they thinking i could not go so i was looking forward to see them live from the bbc on sunday night
    what a fuckin joke i dont normaly swear but that pissed me right off
    I would guess that the band requested it be pulled - like the live stream.

It sucks, but i can understand it.

Trent's been going around the whole media-circus thing with interviews and magazine cover stories making a big deal over the stage show (which IS excellent) and if I was in his position I'd be concerned about being made to look like a dick

imagine the average viewer at home who has listened to the BBC interviews, read the NME cover story etc, then they tune in to the reading set and think "wtf? is that IT? a few backing lights and strobes? what's the big deal"

without getting the bbc and reading's streaming to put up a notice saying "the band regret that they havent been able to put on the show they promised" i think i'd want it pulled too

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    The songs they've played live so far from HM are basically a hipster's wet dream, and that's who populates Reading. But yeah, pretty much any time NIN plays live to strangers the audience gets a shock.
    that wasn't the crowd i saw! i was only there for a day but it was FULL of my-first-festival teenagers wearing Fosters boxes on their heads!

sorry, that's pretty irrelevant. but i wouldn't have said it was a particular hipster crowd.
    i also think NIN won over big parts of the crowd tbh.
    Last edited by ManOfAtom; 08-27-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Isn't being a hipster what's trendy with the young people? They all look the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    'Alternative' and 'hipster' aren't mutually exclusive. Not all alternative kids are hipsters.

Anyway. If I was Trent (which I'm told im not) I would've pulled the broadcast. As a fan I love that we have it, especially given how unusual a setlist it is. But for the casual viewer expecting an amazing production it must've been anti-climatic.

P.S. what is it with the UK and festival fuck ups? First sonisphere and now this?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    made lots of pictures at the festival
    a few from the campsite etc. but most of them are from the NIN gig
    my Reading festival photo album is here :

https://plus.google.com/photos/11230...01726811399857

Last edited by zsorzs; 09-02-2013 at 02:33 AM.