Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost BC

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    does anyone like the music though? It seems so reliant on the image... the fact that they sold a special edition version of the album with a butt plug shaped like the singer, the silly costumes, etc... It just seems like it wouldn't work without the visual aspect. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Yeah the music is an awesome mix of blue oyster cult, 70s/80s metal and Jeff Wayne that nobody else really does. Not everything is a miasma of shallow twattery

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I dunno, I find that the Meat Puppets did this type of music a lot better, and they were never hailed with this amount of hype, even with Cobain's endorsement. I've been listening to Ghost over the last couple of weeks in yet another attempt to figure out what people hear or see in this band, and I still don't get it. The music seems to me such average 70s soft rock, rather plodding, no surprises, heard it all before kind of stuff.

Michael Bolton rocks harder than Ghost.

Even the image has been done to death by black metal bands over the last 3 decades. Sunn0))) did the robes, etc.

Ghost are not a metal band, but they are at least writing actual, somewhat catchy songs, which metal bands today generally do not do, so there's that: metal is totally boring these days, so maybe this is why metal fans have embraced the band. I wish there was a good article which explained their appeal: most reviews I read are on the defensive, and keep pointing out that they write such great songs. I don't buy it and I'm not feeling Ghost at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It just seems like it wouldn't work without the visual aspect.

Before the image there was Subvision: a rock band with nothing much to distinguish them.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 08-26-2015 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I dunno, I find that the Meat Puppets did this type of music a lot better, and they were never hailed with this amount of hype, even with Cobain's endorsement. I've been listening to Ghost over the last couple of weeks in yet another attempt to figure out what people hear or see in this band, and I still don't get it. The music seems to me such average 70s soft rock, rather plodding, no surprises, heard it all before kind of stuff.

Michael Bolton rocks harder than Ghost.

Even the image has been done to death by black metal bands over the last 3 decades. Sunn0))) did the robes, etc.

Ghost are not a metal band, but they are at least writing actual, somewhat catchy songs, which metal bands today generally do not do, so there's that: metal is totally boring these days, so maybe this is why metal fans have embraced the band. I wish there was a good article which explained their appeal: most reviews I read are on the defensive, and keep pointing out that they write such great songs. I don't buy it and I'm not feeling Ghost at all.
    I think you answered your own "question" right here, i do consider them a "fun" band, and i think they know how to sell their image/concept, really good, i consider them a "new" KISS (mostly image but they sure have a way to write catchy tunes).
    Most metalheads dislike them because they feel the image doesn't fit the music, but i don't think that's an issue, it's actually a forte because it made people notice them...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I hear the music and I am let down.
    I want a band that looks like that to sound EVIL, at the very least. I want them to sound like Hell on Earth, the End of Days, and Satan Rising all in one.
    But no: they sound like The Byrds.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think they do sound genuinely creepy, if not evil. I get a real hammer/70s Euro horror vibe from them, and as far as I can tell that is what they are going for, so it's a mission success in my estimation

The only satanic group I ever thought sounded evil in a raging hell fire way was Akercocke (the track of menstrual blood and semen in particular). But I am bored to death of 99% of black and death metal, I find it to be mostly dimwits thrashing instruments and trying to be big and clever. Ghost has a bit of subtlety and nudge wink irony, which is very refreshing

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Number one "metalhead complaint" for this band is as follows:

Have the image but Not Black or Death Metal = shit. It isn't metal if it isn't black, death or extreme.

Most retards say that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am jealous of those who actually have the time to overthink what Ghost is about

just enjoy the music, if you don't then go listen to some other band who makes you happy.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Aggro hit it on the head, I am a huge metalhead and find metal these days( from up and comers) really boring. I only look foward to what I listened to as a kid/teen really, they still bring it with what they got. But these new bands, its just low notes and chugging the first fret and a lazy single note, delayed solo. Everyone is trying to make shit brutal but miss the emotion of it with just senseless noise. I have been brancing out and listening to more black and death, and the mix of blackened death, right now those bands are fixing my metal needs. But deathcore and any other meshuggah wanna be's need to go.

Ghost is a rocking band, and this new album's riffage is addicting. If only I was still in contact with a friend who really was just into classic rock and such, I think he would really dig Ghost.

Plus the fact that they look evil as hell, and play what they play, is genius lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If I cared so much about the image rather than the music I'd probably not be a NIN fan either.

I agree that the album is one or two songs short, but at least it's not the worst problem to have.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hey that was pretty good! Why the hell isn't this on the album?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    good track but I think it's better that they left it out

I can't see where it could fit in Meliora

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I think that "bonus track" is fantastic and better than some of the songs that made the cut. I just don't get why they need to have bonus tracks for an otherwise incredibly short album. The album could have used a few more tracks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    That Leeds performance is great. Ugh I hope I can catch a show.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    love their acoustic stuff

Papa sounds awesome in them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Finally got my Meliora digipak, lovely stuff, nice booklet. Very well done.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Man, your avi's threw me off lol.

I have been on the hunt for good quality versions of the acoustic stuff. I know that they released if you have ghosts for sirius, and I am waiting to see if they release jigolo from that same performance. Those were such killer versions.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Man, seeing pictures and setlist of last night's show is making me really sad I'm missing out on this tour.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    00:45 I lost my shit completely. Fucking love this band.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I didn't realize this was a whole show, the replay is tomorrow morning, I signed up for a trial of Sirius and hopefully I will capture it and upload it here.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I am sorry for posting so much in here with out anyone posting in between my posts.

Here I have is studio versions of the acoustic songs performed during the Unholy Unplugged mini promo tour.

Some info: The first two tracks were ripped from my capture of their siriusXM appearance, If You have Ghosts was taken from the Hard Drive sessions as I felt that the siriusxm performance was not as good as the Hard drive one.

I also included the poster for the tour to have as artwork, so if any photoshop savy lads want to tackle on making an actual cover for your digital collection, go for it, and maybe share it.

These files are in FLAC as I will trying to preserve quality as much as possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayys3p44na...ugged.rar?dl=0

Edit: I also have the SiriusXM interview, but I figured it wasnt as neat as the actual music.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Awesome fan edit

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)