Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Boston Marathon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    There's little background info.
    Did they receive a tip for that particular house. Was this protocol for every houses being searched?
    It definitely wasn't protocol for EVERY house, based on what I saw. Not sure how many houses we searched in this manner though. These house-to-house searches were supposed to be consent based. Sure, people were probably shitting themselves while giving consent but.. it's still consent.

I am pretty sure a tip doesn't allow police to pull you out of your house at gunpoint though. Warrant/consent is still needed. There is definitely not enough info to make a sound conclusion but it's the first video that made me question things. I'm surprised there weren't any citizens who objected to a search (how many houses were searched?). I'm curious how the police would have responded to that... I am guessing "exigent circumstances" in those situations.
    Last edited by DigitalChaos; 04-21-2013 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    ^ That article title is incorrect. Whoever chose it is an idiot because in the article, they say he's still recuperating and unable to speak.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Huh? It says he's responding in writing.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Huh? It says he's responding in writing.
    They must have updated it some time after I posted.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Amanda Palmer weighs in, self-combusts: http://gawker.com/amanda-palmers-a-p...poem-476820444

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Amanda Palmer weighs in, self-combusts: http://gawker.com/amanda-palmers-a-p...poem-476820444
    This makes all of my poetry awesome now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    one of he big reasons there were so many people who were incredibly skeptical of the 9/11 attacks. But... once again, WTC bombing would have been negligence instead of an intentional act.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I learned long ago not to listen to Amanda Palmer if there isn't a piano in front of her.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    So the White House is says they are going to try the kid for use of a WMD... Does that mean Iraq actually had WMD's now? Since when is an IED a WMD?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    So the White House is says they are going to try the kid for use of a WMD... Does that mean Iraq actually had WMD's now? Since when is an IED a WMD?
    In domestic law pretty much any kind of bomb qualifies as WMD. The term WMD in the sort of context you heard Bush throw it around in is foreign policy ie international.

So for domestic law, a weapon of mass destruction is something that can kill a load of people and damage a load of property, within an international relations context it's something that can seriously damage/destroy cities and/or thousands of people

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Maybe it was the only way to put him on death row since Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty.
    Maybe. But why even have laws if you are going to circumvent them at your discretion like this? Either blowing up a group of people gets you the death penalty in MA or it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In domestic law pretty much any kind of bomb qualifies as WMD. The term WMD in the sort of context you heard Bush throw it around in is foreign policy ie international.

So for domestic law, a weapon of mass destruction is something that can kill a load of people and damage a load of property, within an international relations context it's something that can seriously damage/destroy cities and/or thousands of people
    Sure seems like we need a terminology change or unification.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post

Sure seems like we need a terrminology change or unification.
    Why? Are you getting confused, lol.

Definitely not unification, the separate usage has a purpose

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That "poem" is insanely terrible.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

Yeah, things are getting a bit weird for her. She lives in the Boston area and I'm pretty darn sure, based on her twitter feed that she didn't stay home Friday.

Though, I have to say, the flag waving covers up the more interesting story about general humanity and everyone's reaction to it - more to come I'm sure.

Westboro Church is coming to some funerals. I don't have empathy for them.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Maybe it was the only way to put him on death row since Massachusetts doesn't have the death penalty.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Both suspects did not have gun licenses

One of those gun show loopholes?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Both suspects did not have gun licenses

One of those gun show loopholes?
    Maybe but, probably more likely because they lived in what is commonly referred to as the People's Republic of Cambridge. It probably takes an act of gawd to get one there.

Massachusetts licensing is one of the strictest. I'm told that if the town police chief things you look weird, you can not get a license to carry.

As for Amanda Palmer. Yes, she might be a wee bit over the top, but she means well and is completely a product of her environment. I read today that as you get older (yeah - I'm looking at a lot of you) we actually are more empathetic. That totally doesn't explain the American wing nuts, but I can't admonish Amanda for trying to make a point (as I sort of tried) that all this flag waving isn't the point. Two kids, who were immersed in American, and more narrowly, New England society, decided to slip off thinking that blowing up people was going to prove something. More personally, that what appears to be an older brother taking advantage of a younger brother's hero worship to do what he wanted (assumptions all around -but what my little mind is thinking right now).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Now there's photographs of their fucking mother all over the press. Fun to be her eh.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Can you imagine if the guy had been sitting in his chair at the time of the shooting.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That person was ballsy as hell to get all those pictures. Most of the comments on there are, not surprisingly, retarded.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    That person was ballsy as hell to get all those pictures. Most of the comments on there are, not surprisingly, retarded.
    "The photographer could have shot them" Wow, how idiotic an idea is that? With that many armed police just down the street you do NOT want to be whipping out any firearm even if you are pointing at the "bad guys". God, I hope there aren't mobs of dumb people thinking this.

Having said that, I agree, just standing in a window during this is a ballsy move.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    "The photographer could have shot them" Wow, how idiotic an idea is that? With that many armed police just down the street you do NOT want to be whipping out any firearm even if you are pointing at the "bad guys". God, I hope there aren't mobs of dumb people thinking this.

Having said that, I agree, just standing in a window during this is a ballsy move.
    Of course there are mobs of people thinking like that.
    Just look at N.Y. State senator Greg Ball who said torture should be used in this case.
    Basically said that if the information obtained through torture could save just one human life than do it.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    These guys really don't seem that smart....

The 11 Most Mystifying Things the Tsarnaev Brothers Did
    http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013...v-brothers-did

Kind of crazy how they managed to evade such a huge police force for so long.

Meanwhile, we have Bloomberg wanting to infringe on the constitution to make us "safer." We have already given up portions of freedom in the name of safety in the post 9/11 world. The fucking FBI didn't think these guys were an issue in 2011. The giant police force couldn't handle these very... unskilled individuals. Who the fuck is dumb enough to believe that we are going to be safer?

Bloomberg Says Interpretation of Constitution Will ‘Have to Change’ After Boston Bombing
    http://politicker.com/2013/04/bloomb...ave-to-change/

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 04-23-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: At request

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Some of this will be proven or disproven with time (like that email supposedly written a week ago predicting all this). If they start going after reloading powder... shit is going to get crazy.

I still fall back on the only possible conspiracy being negligence. You can't have that many people in some orchestrated event without someone credible coming forward. Look at all the little shit the government can't keep under wraps to begin with.

Black/Beige uniform of the baddies - uh... so they are smart enough to pull off an orchestrated conspiracy but dumb enough to wear uniforms that make it easy to identify their association? uh...

metrick fuckton of armed police to find one kid - I think we just have hollywood expectations of what police can do. The reality is that even a force that big failed to find a single 19yo kid who seems to have been running without a plan. In my opinion, that's just one more reason to laugh when people tell you that the omnipresent police will protect you and you don't need weapons to protect yourself. It's excessive expectations and/or incompetence... not conspiracy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Boston Marathon

I'll admit that's some weird shit, but those are always worded like its obviously right and you're an idiot if you don't believe it. It's all just a bunch of vague shit thrown together. And doesn't explain why the brothers had bombs during the shoot out anyway. I don't know, conspiracy theories have never held much weight with me. Our government is shady, but I don't think as shady as these loons believe. Bomb the Boston marathon to take away our guns?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    I'll listen to everyone. I'm not going immediately reject an idea but I will demand solid proof. go go skepticism! I did the same with the 9/11 stuff. After seeing that unfold it is pretty obvious that these situations are chaotic. People are chaotic. Reality is chaotic. Hyperanalysing a set of data will create tons of spurious patterns. Just look at the false identification problem that came from reddit when this was unfolding. Some of the patterns will be easily justified when you consider outside datasets. Every so often you just might find a needle in the haystack though.