Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Radiohead

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I'm gonna make a little confession here. Outside of a handful of singles (and I do mean maybe 4-5 songs, most of which I'm not even sure I could name), and the first chunk of 'In Rainbows,' which I listened to one time in 2007, I don't think I've ever really listened to a Radiohead album or looked into them at all. I was only really aware of their reputation, as well as that of Thom Yorke, his other projects, and a little about Jonny Greenwood.

Then I started seeing all the buzz being generated around the new album - especially the social media white-out. That was something I thought was kind of interesting, so I thought "fuck it, I'll follow this." I saw all the positive reception for "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming," and just this morning I decided I'd watch both videos, knowing next to nothing about either song. Holy shit, I am super on board with this. Today's my last day of unemployment before I start a new job, and there's a good chance I'm gonna spend it with A Moon Shaped Pool on a loop all afternoon after ordering that beautiful special edition LP. I can't wait to look into this band some more.
    For me, OK Computer is their definite masterpiece. Hopefully this helps: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...worst-to-best/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Friend of mine thinks this album is better than Kid A...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's too early to rank it amongst their albums.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Only one full listen in so far and I’m loving it - more easily accessible than TKOL, and packs a bigger punch than In Rainbows. The guitar solo at the end of ‘Identikit’, the slow build-up of ’Ful Stop’; there’s so much to love on the new album (and, of course, Thom and co. nail the album closer)

Nothing they do will top Kid A for me, but this might be a close second (sorry, OK Computer, I might have to drop you to 3rd in the rankings)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    So that album title.
    Probably has to do with the art, we all know much the artwork is an integral part of the package as far as radiohead goes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Ryan;301061]Alphabetical track order, interesting.[QUOTE]

Interesting how they sort of renamed present tense to fit it properly in the track order

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    For me, OK Computer is their definite masterpiece. Hopefully this helps: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...worst-to-best/
    Thank you! Haha, I actually have that bookmarked already! Stumbled across that while I was digging around for another article on CoS. I feel like I have a LOT of digging to do.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    listened to it in the car today. absolutely beautiful. a perfect amalgamation of their previous work. and with the (in my opinion) definitive version of True Love Waits.

also, i hadn't realized pitchfork had noticed, and i thought i was going to be the first person to go THE SONGS ARE IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER, GUYS! ahaha

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    I'm gonna make a little confession here. Outside of a handful of singles (and I do mean maybe 4-5 songs, most of which I'm not even sure I could name), and the first chunk of 'In Rainbows,' which I listened to one time in 2007, I don't think I've ever really listened to a Radiohead album or looked into them at all. I was only really aware of their reputation, as well as that of Thom Yorke, his other projects, and a little about Jonny Greenwood.

Then I started seeing all the buzz being generated around the new album - especially the social media white-out. That was something I thought was kind of interesting, so I thought "fuck it, I'll follow this." I saw all the positive reception for "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming," and just this morning I decided I'd watch both videos, knowing next to nothing about either song. Holy shit, I am super on board with this. Today's my last day of unemployment before I start a new job, and there's a good chance I'm gonna spend it with A Moon Shaped Pool on a loop all afternoon after ordering that beautiful special edition LP. I can't wait to look into this band some more.
    I'd tell you where to go and where to listen first but I think it's pretty obvious.

After listening, I enjoy the album. Much, much better than the King of Limbs but doesn't surpass any albums starting with OK Computer and ending with Hail To The Thief.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Decks dark is so beautiful, I love the part at 2:10 "you got be Kidding me, the grass gross over me"

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There's stuff in the second half of the album like "Present Tense", "Identikit", and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief" that I really fucking love in terms of its arrangements as I listened it to again and whoa...

I want to know the other 2 songs in the special edition as I'm going to wait out for that one.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Somebody already said one of the two songs was "Spectre"
    OK, it will be good to know that I have that song on CD. I hope there's more.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    *&^%$#$%**&&^%^&&**
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 05-09-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    It's too early to rank it amongst their albums.

Yes, sure, but I haven't immediately been gutted and found myself fighting back crying in public while listening to the new RH album on headphones since Kid A. I've never heard anything like this, but it's so emotionally intense. This is the strangest album they've made, but it's strange in a personal way. It's weirder than King of Limbs. The pacing seems so strange at first, but it's not "a rock album," so dive into the weird tumultuous emotional storm. I think more people might get into King of Limbs after hearing this. I think it'll make King of Limbs make sense to some people who didn't like it.

I really love this album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Yes, sure, but I haven't immediately been gutted and found myself fighting back crying in public while listening to the new RH album on headphones since Kid A. I've never heard anything like this, but it's so emotionally intense. This is the strangest album they've made, but it's strange in a personal way. It's weirder than King of Limbs. The pacing seems so strange at first, but it's not "a rock album," so dive into the weird tumultuous emotional storm. I think more people might get into King of Limbs after hearing this. I think it'll make King of Limbs make sense to some people who didn't like it.

Sorry, I should have said "For me... it's too early to rank it amongst their albums." I am enjoying it so far. But with Radiohead, it's usually a few listens to fully grasp the whole album.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Well I fucking LOVE King of Limbs so I hope this is like that and more.

Also, the Grammar Nazi in me hates that the album title is missing a hyphen. (Should be "moon-shaped pool." Compound adjective.)
    Last edited by allegro; 05-10-2016 at 01:11 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    walked home last night with my headphones loud to finish my proper listen of the album (yeah, I've been busy ) and oh my, in the drizzly, empty streets at midnight, True Love Waits almost destroyed me. I wanted to just 'do a Just' and lye down in the street.
    Good album. Really good album. I've been thinking of making a mix of piano driven RH tracks, but I'm pretty sure it would just be Daydreaming, True Love Waits, Pyramid Song and Codex on repeat...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not a native speaker here, but could the name be like "Moon did shape the pool"? Like, the pool was personally shaped by the Moon. :-) (like, "a dog ate meat")

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post

Interesting how they sort of renamed present tense to fit it properly in the track order
    It's always been "The Present Tense" from what I remember. Either way, the definite article shouldn't change how it sorts alphabetically. I think they sequenced the album this way as little "fuck you" to people writing treatises on the Web about how they plan these epic inter-album metasequences — clearly that's insane. It's just a record, put it in shuffle mode if you want. This is not an age to be precious about such things.
    Last edited by botley; 05-10-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Not a native speaker here, but could the name be like "Moon did shape the pool"? Like, the pool was personally shaped by the Moon. :-) (like, "a dog ate meat")
    That's interesting. The moon shaped the pool. It's possible, sure. edit: the pool is Earth.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-11-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Alphabetical track order, interesting.
    Irrelevant, « The Number » is still before.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    Irrelevant, « The Number » is still before.
    Yeah. Good thing articles like "the" don't count toward alphabetization (unless it's programmed cheaply, like iTunes used to be).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    it's How to destroy angels_ and [WITH TEETH] all over again.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    So listening to the album 4-5 times now I feel the album hits the subject of climate change, Or I could be very wrong

Daydreaming-

beyond the point

of no return
    of no return

it's too late
    the damage is done
    the damage is done

this goes
    beyond me
    beyond you
    Last edited by Rdm; 05-10-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    So listening to the album 4-5 times now I feel the album hits the subject of climate change, Or I could be very wrong

Daydreaming-

beyond the point

of no return
    of no return

it's too late
    the damage is done
    the damage is done

this goes
    beyond me
    beyond you
    No, that's bang on.

http://climate.nasa.gov/400ppmquotes/

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Well, Thom is definitely heavily (and reasonably) concerned with climate change, and that's been in the lyrics for a while. I have a rare radio-single version of Idioteque that's covered in quotes about climate change, about how it's all our fault, and how it's probably too late to stop. We are not scare mongering, this is really happening. Take the money and run.

If that was a panicked approach to the issue, then this sounds like a really sad resignation. Either way, that song and Present Tense are really devastating tracks.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Well, Thom is definitely heavily (and reasonably) concerned with climate change, and that's been in the lyrics for a while. I have a rare radio-single version of Idioteque that's covered in quotes about climate change, about how it's all our fault, and how it's probably too late to stop. We are not scare mongering, this is really happening. Take the money and run.

If that was a panicked approach to the issue, then this sounds like a really sad resignation. Either way, that song and Present Tense are really devastating tracks.
    A few fascinating thoughts above me on the climate change themes throughout. I'd say this album is a great mix of those themes, both in proactive and negative lights, and personal/romantic obstacles.

Had a similar experience to @liquidcalm ! Walked around once the sun went down by a highway overpass with trees. This album is hitting me hard and I am someone who was on board with everything from the TKOL era, too (except the exclusion of "Staircase" from the record). It was amazing, AM-SP took me where I 'wanted' to go with nearly every turn yet still surprised me. And Tinker Tailor is a slinking dirge and I like it a lot.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    interesting perspective regarding climate change, but i'm pretty sure 'daydreaming' is a direct emotional response to his split with his longterm partner rachel owen. there's a backwards-masked 'efil ym fo flah' at the end of the song- 'half of my life,' which likely refers to the 23 years he spent with her.

what a devastating song, still my favorite on this record. GREAT album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    interesting perspective regarding climate change, but i'm pretty sure 'daydreaming' is a direct emotional response to his split with his longterm partner rachel owen. there's a backwards-masked 'efil ym fo flah' at the end of the song- 'half of my life,' which likely refers to the 23 years he spent with her.

what a devastating song, still my favorite on this record. GREAT album.
    I still think that too, especially with the music video. That's kind of how it feels like after a big break up IMO.