Thread: Welcome Oblivion Remix Contest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the comments and the shout-out! i entered all three contests and i didn't have the extra stems as i am just a lowly basic account holder at indaba.

if you're interested in checking 'em out, here is my indaba page: https://beta.indabamusic.com/people/...e?tab=overview

on the wing, i completed first. i didn't follow the original's structure as i was going for an extended version. sparse is usually what you'll find coming from me as i enjoy taking the minimalist approach... or at least leading to some built-up cacophony. i used reason 7 as my main daw and fucked shit up in sound forge when appropriate. one of the truly interesting things about this remix is the intro/verse resonant synth you hear is actually a loop of trent's vocal running through reason's alligator filter. the bottomless bass is provided by that wonderful korg polysix rack extension. in the mid part, i combined some of the original noise with my own elements doing some old-fashioned ACID chopping and slicing here and there. the "live" sounding drums kind of reminded me of vrenna for some reason and that is why it is in there.

how long was a more direct approach using mostly just the vocals. i thought that the contrasted feels between the verse and chorus made it a bit more challenging. on all of these, actually. i think it was this mix that i struggled with the chorus drums because the original sounded so great... and having it as a place-holder was probably not helping.

strings and attractors i almost didn't do. but i chose to go for a more unconventional mix.

all in all, it was a decent contest. it certainly is humbling to be chosen as one of the winners. especially considering reznor's one of my major influences. one of the hardest things i had to do was keep this under my hat for FIVE days... i was notified on july 3rd but didn't see the email until the 4th and i couldn't say anything to anyone about it until it was announced on the 9th. drove me nuts. one of the things i like about indaba over acidplanet is it's a site more focused on opportunities. acidplanet was more focused on the acid software and anything you made with it (essentially... users were never limited to using just acid in order to participate in that community).

i wonder if indaba will be hosting a NIN remix contest after the new album is released.
    Last edited by melodywhore; 07-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.