Page 145 of 241 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    This record is a great toke out essential.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I had the lights off and started the album back up before I went to sleep. "The Eater of Dreams" was playing and I was kinda getting scared.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chroipahtz View Post
    No. Trent Reznor is Nine Inch Nails. Have you learned nothing?!
    Exactly. That's why nobody else like Adrian Belew or Lindsay Buckingham is on the record.

(FYI that's the credit on PHM. The other albums usually say "all songs written, arranged and performed by Trent Reznor EXCEPT AS NOTED" (emphasis mine))

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    More importantly @Porkins , what the hell is up with your track ratings after having the album for less than 24 hours?
    i didn't know anyone actually used that feature in itunes...i have consistently ignored it since its introduction.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    hm! interesting interpretation. I definitely didn't pick up the hospital angle myself but I can hear that interpretation; fits with the theme and the source material. nice thought!
    Yeah, that's definitely what it's supposed to sound like. In Hurt he hurt himself, was suicidal, we never knew if the protagonist actually killed himself on TDS or not. Now we know, he woke up in a hospital. With hesitation marks.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    I hope I see Various Methods of Escape live just once in my life.
    Oh dear lord, hear my prayer.
    I'm thinking you won't. Am I getting songs confused or is that one with quite a bit of falsetto in it? As far as I know it's never been confirmed, but I'm fairly certain that's the reason we've never heard Sunspots or All the Love in the World. I hope I, wrong though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    So what you're saying is, it's BASICALLY about Lenny Kravitz watchin' Trent jerk it.

Now that's what I'd call an all-time low. Hey-o!
    And Atticus and Mariqueen are off in the corner.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I'm thinking you won't. Am I getting songs confused or is that one with quite a bit of falsetto in it? As far as I know it's never been confirmed, but I'm fairly certain that's the reason we've never heard Sunspots or All the Love in the World. I hope I, wrong though.
    In the chorus there's a little bit of falsetto, but he could sing it normally and it would still be glorious.
    Don't dash my hopes man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    One of my favorite moments is the ominously resigned whisper "so weary eyed" in Satellite. Not only is the best heard with headphones, but goddamn that line so perfectly encapsulates anxious paranoia. Who's more weary-eyed: the satellite doing the endless watching hoping to catch a slip, or the protagonist losing his mind out the back of his head? I geek out on this kind of double-meaning. Awesome, awesome line.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    In the chorus there's a little bit of falsetto, but he could sing it normally and it would still be glorious.
    Don't dash my hopes man.
    I'd rather be leaving hope at an all-time low and be surprised than have them be ten miles high and end up disappointed and hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was trying to catch up on this thread but I had to stop twice to get up and dance. GodDAMN, I love this album.

I'm tempted, at some point, to listen to TDS and then HM, if only to better pick up on the parallels. So much of the album, especially towards the end, feels like coming to realization that coming back from a dark, shitty place, is a hard thing, but a good thing, and that it doesn't mean your life is over. I'm really interested to hear the interview on the deluxe edition.

I will say that, lyrically, Satellite could totally fit on Year Zero. OMGWTFARG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Schweet schex! TR just made the album available to stream on iTunes for free:
    http://t.co/r7kXFdf9IF

(Not sure if ^ will link to it.)
    Great, though--I technically didn't listen to the album's entirety. Just skipped around on the track-player here and there, get just a little glimpse into what everyone's been talking about.

I caved--but it's not spoiled in a big way, just yet!

(Apparently US only)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    iTunes finally has a stream for the entire album (US only). I suppose this will be helpful to those fans who've heard the buzz about the leak, but aren't savvy enough to find a download.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post...ation-marks-in

"Listen to the new NIN album Hesitation Marks in its entirety RIGHT NOW, a week early, via iTunes (US only) here."

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razzletiger View Post
    I was trying to catch up on this thread but I had to stop twice to get up and dance. GodDAMN, I love this album.

I'm tempted, at some point, to listen to TDS and then HM, if only to better pick up on the parallels. So much of the album, especially towards the end, feels like coming to realization that coming back from a dark, shitty place, is a hard thing, but a good thing, and that it doesn't mean your life is over. I'm really interested to hear the interview on the deluxe edition.

I will say that, lyrically, Satellite could totally fit on Year Zero. OMGWTFARG
    i think the "I have been everywhere" from Find My Way makes me think of I Do Not Want This.

I don't know if he's fucked everyone in the world yet though. I sure didn't feel anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Yesterday I found out that the world was ending," has got to be one of the catchiest lines trent has sung in a long time, and it's only a verse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know if it's just me, but Various Methods of Escape makes me want to cry. AND I'M A MAN DAMMIT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Satellite should have been a single, not everything. (not a hater of everything)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    Satellite should have been a single, not everything. (not a hater of everything)
    I think saving the best for last was the right decision.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    I think saving the best for last was the right decision.
    He still could, I can just see that song doing very very well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Peter Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Getting a heavy Peter Gabriel vibe, and that's a very good thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex of scotland View Post
    Allow Time Low sounds like something Peter Gabriel would produce. I approve.
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimnothing View Post
    I am so impressed that there is such a Peter Gabriel feel to this album (one of my all time fav artists).

This is totally weird for me to see this comparison. Ever since the moment I saw "Right Where it Belongs" played live in 2005, I first thought of Peter Gabriel/Phil Collins/Genesis. Never noticed it until then but as I listened to a lot of older NIN tracks, I could hear it more and more. No one I knew shared that opinion.

Then with that powerful mental image/moment in my mind from that 2005 show, a few months later I had dropped some amazing acid and heavily experienced synthesia. I was alone, listening to the last four tracks of With Teeth on headphones and as "RWIB" peaked, I saw a giant Trent Reznor statue head (reminiscent of Legends of the Hidden Temple) come out of a colorful waterfall to deliver the "you can live in this illusion" line. My mind sort of connected the imagery of a Stephen Johnson directed video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NINisamazing View Post
    He still could, I can just see that song doing very very well.
    True that. I'm just glad it wasn't spoiled. It brings the album to a higher level IMO

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

I hope I see Various Methods of Escape live just once in my life.
    Oh dear lord, hear my prayer.
    I think it would make for an incredible show closer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I think it would make for an incredible show closer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Pair it with Hurt and I may not make it home okay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://ninein.ch/NINHMStream Now officially streaming.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

GOD DAMNIT I WAS SO CLOSE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuckit View Post
    True that. I'm just glad it wasn't spoiled. It brings the album to a higher level IMO
    Also, with all that NSA crap out now. It would just do real well, I am serious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, Trent really knows how to fuck an eardrum.
    Knowing the background story to this album, it really does feel like it's sort of a parallel universe to the older era albums. It's very familiar, but something's a little off. Not necessarily meaning bad, just different.
    Songs I had to give a second (or more!) listen:
    Satellite (HOSHIT- 1 nip slip away from being as sexy as Greater Good)
    All Time Low
    Black Noise
    Copy of A

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    i think the "I have been everywhere" from Find My Way makes me think of I Do Not Want This.

I don't know if he's fucked everyone in the world yet though. I sure didn't feel anything.
    Hrrmm. For me, it's more about desperation and surrender.

The song is about the fight for sobriety, bartering with God for strength and direction, struggling to leave behind the demons and forge (and find) a new path.

What does it mean to have been everywhere/everyplace? He's hit bottom as an addict. I think in the context of the song, he's also exhausted his ability to hold things together based on sheer will. He's admitting powerlessness (at the "Let Go and Let God" stage).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Am I the only one who hears a saxophone in Find My Way, in the back of the mix toward the end? Or is that something else? Everyone's making OMG SAX about While I'm Still Here, but to me it debuts earlier in the record.

Interestingly both songs feature a prominent deistic faith element too.