Page 147 of 241 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 145 146 147 148 149 157 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,410 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After about 6 listens I can only say it is truly a masterpiece. Only track I'm having a hard time adjusting to is Running, but hey, you never know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Some of this album is more poppy and dancy than I would like, but there is enough good, creative content on Hesitation Marks to help me come to terms with the fact that it's more of a choice on Trents part than a symptom of a failing talent. Not a choice that I necessarily jive with, but I suppose that this is what's up his alley at the moment. Ithink I like it more than the slip or With Teeth

Of course there's enough trippy and bizarre shit on this album to compensate.

And we can all agree that All Time Low is the best track here... right?
    I feel that All Time Low is NIN distilled. Pop sensibilities, noise, and hooks galore. This is a NIN-ass NIN song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

And we can all agree that All Time Low is the best track here... right?
    Every song is the best track in it's own way. Literally. I find myself switching favorite songs every time I switch tracks. I've never had that happen. Close to 10 listens through now, and if I had to pick a 'best' it'd be a toss up between While I'm Still Here, Satellite and Running. But they're just three of fourteen perfect songs.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Getting a heavy Peter Gabriel vibe, and that's a very good thing!
    Trent's remix of Growing Up:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have to totally disagree, I think Satellite is one of the best tracks on the album.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

I concur with the Peter Gabriel vibe (I'm such a huge fan of his too).

Only listened to this straight through twice so too early to articulate my thoughts.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Yeah those remixes. WTF. so cool though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    bunch of this album reminds me of:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm sure what my heart is doing isn't at all healthy, but hey. Trent: singing.

Trent Reznor, master of the badly timed rap and the growly scream, actually honest to god SINGING.

[I agree with the Peter Gabriel references, btw, but I mostly hear the motherfucking eighties. And when did they become this sexy and cool, huh?]

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    And when did they become this sexy and cool, huh?]
    No fucking idea. They went from being the most whiny attention-whoring kid in the place to being a clever and hot stud in a blink of an eye.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    While I'm Still Here (Breyer P-Orridge 'Howler' Remix) is freaking amazing.

The sampling reminds me of Rob Zombie. Love it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    First Listen: It's really nice and better than I expected. After hearing "Came Back Haunted" I had feared that this would be NIN's "Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy" (any dredg-fans here?), but this isn't remotely true. In hindsight, I'd say that "Came Back Haunted" is even my least favourite song of the album. This one, and all the songs up to "Disappointed" are, in my opinion, too much comfort-zone songwriting, but thankfully everything after that is more adventurous and I like it way better.

I REALLY love "Sattelite" and will give it a spin at our next flat party. Sounds like a Justin Timberlake song off "FutureSex/LoveSounds" and that's great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else think Black Noise is the best track on the album? ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The background weird vocals effect in Find My Way are fantastic.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelordoflard View Post
    Anyone else think Black Noise is the best track on the album? ...
    No. ten characters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apologies if this has already been quipped, but tell my Trent isn't a fan of Final Fantasy VII while listening to the synth ditty at the end of All Time Low...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone think the digital release from nin.com will have individual album art for each song?

I think that and the liner notes are what I'm looking forward to most now that I've listened to it a dozen times.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by accelestar View Post
    Anyone think the digital release from nin.com will have individual album art for each song?

I think that and the liner notes are what I'm looking forward to most now that I've listened to it a dozen times.
    The COA artwork is from the vinyl cover.. and every single has got their own artwork so far. So it may have individual album art.
    And it looks like some songs will have extra lyrics printed on the liner notes, as shown in the teaser video (at least, disappointed has some).
    Last edited by Lerxto; 08-27-2013 at 06:02 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think Various Methods might take over my favorite song spot. It's fucking good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was pretty surprised when I read all the comments in the first thirty or so pages about, like, "This is the album we've been waiting for since The Fragile!!" Do most of you still think this? How many listens have you had? I'm not trying to instigate, I'm just floored that ETS has been so unanimously positive. (We traditionally have high standards, especially for new NIN.)

I have only had two full listens, and one of them was interrupted by daily activities. I still think Copy of A is the best. I like the dark minimalism of the second half but wish the amazing robot voice on In Two (I think? maybe it's While I'm Still Here) was explored further. Trent rarely distorts his voice, which is interesting for an electronic musician. There's really nothing to dislike here, but I hesitate to make grand sweeping statements (for instance, "Throw everything from With Teeth to The Slip away because this is The Real Deal") because it's just too soon. Running and Disappointed will probably need time to grow. I like the sax. I like that there's no latter-album delicate piano instrumental with fuzzy synths, he's dispensed with that tradition, which is a nice change. I am surprised that this album is actually pretty minimal, because he keeps using that word and I don't think it means what he thinks it means. There's still a lot going on but it's less dense than WT and YZ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Everything sounds a lot better in context of the album.

Haven't listened through yet but hearing the preceeding 'Disappointed' and the other tracks, it just makes a lot more sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    imo the sudden ending of Black Noise ties into the "end of the world" mentioned in WISH (oh no the acronym)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ataxia View Post
    imo the sudden ending of Black Noise ties into the "end of the world" mentioned in WISH (oh no the acronym)
    those final seconds made me search for the point in TDS that sounds almost identical. I think the end of Mr Self Destruct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In Two might become my favourite NIN song ever.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    those final seconds made me search for the point in TDS that sounds almost identical. I think the end of Mr Self Destruct?
    Last three notes of hurt (the loud ones)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Several songs, I can't name them off the top of my head, have a little Mr. Self Destruct twang in them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    There were two posts around here that 'disappointed' me somewhat. That: 1) one should forget about everything from WT to [/i]TS[/i] because this album is The Real Deal; and 2) Trent should have made this record immediately after TDS (or something like that).

It's impossible for this album to exist without what came before in post-2000 NIN. There are so many ideas here that have mutated from YZ and his score work, it's crazy. With that said, I lit a candle last night and listened to what seem to already be my 'evening favorites': Find My Way, Various Methods, In Two, and While I'm Still Here. Incredible mood.

EDIT: Don't know about the connection with Mr Self Destruct, but upon hearing Black Noise I immediately thought of Of Secrets...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenSpiral View Post
    I think Various Methods might take over my favorite song spot. It's fucking good.
    I know we're not the only ones. And Trent's gonna break a lot more hearts once this album is out for good. My chest aches from this song. And I'll never get over it, as long as I have my memory of being a NIN lover.

////

In Two...

(Nothing to say here.)

...real talk. Song is also a 10.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpenoctem View Post
    Trent rarely distorts his voice, which is interesting for an electronic musician.
    when you say "distorts" do you mean "uses any kind of vocal effect" (other than delay/reverb) or do you literally mean just distortion? because i feel like he has done both quite often. broken and TDS are rampant with vocal effects (distortion and otherwise), the fragile has quite a lot, too, but used a bit more subtly. with teeth & what i remember of year zero are pretty straight forward, but the slip definitely utilizes some.

sorry, not trying to start any shit, just trying to understand what you mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone tried to write lyrics?