Page 156 of 241 FirstFirst ... 56 106 146 154 155 156 157 158 166 206 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,680 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seriously stoked about the audiophile mix. It's kept the excitement for the 3rd even though I've already heard the album. Surprises after surprises !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
    Shouldn't at least the vinyl version get the audiophile treatment as well? Or maybe a DVD and/or BluRay in 5.1 would be really nice...
    According to NIN's twitter, the vinyl has it's own optimized mastering.

"@rjmunthe @Atu bbs It was expertly mastered for vinyl to sound the very best on that format. Maybe listen to it before you start bitching."
    Last edited by fuchal; 08-28-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Oh, that's pretty cool. Might start off with the audiophile master just to see if I can hear the differences on my Sennheisers.
    Last edited by gorast; 08-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I've been avoiding pre-ordering the vinyl so that I can decide whether to buy it from a local shop that I'd like to support. I wasn't sure I would even want to buy it on vinyl. One thing the leak and the revelation of the mastering has done is made me want to go pre-order the vinyl right now. I still want to wait to buy it from Shake It, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    great! than my first listen will be on the audiophile mix of the album! now the wait for the 3rd september is even more worth it

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Anyone else want multi tracks just to get rid of the little "come on!" before the second chorus of satellite?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I ordered through NIN.com and I don't see a link yet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rampface View Post
    I ordered through NIN.com and I don't see a link yet?
    To what? The album is out in 6 days.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's not September 3 yet.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So the alternate mix will be released the same day?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I honestly don't get the "Everything" hate. I was bracing myself after reading all the comments (since I was holding out for the full album), but I think that song is such a fascinating dichotomy. It's not celebrating sobriety. To me, it's about the creeping anxiety that can plague addicts (especially newly clean ones) -- generally that they'll relapse, but that creeping anxiety permeates everything. The repetition at the end (I am whole/I am free/I am whole/I believe) sounds, to me, like he's trying to convince himself. A bit of "Act as if" and "Fake it till you make it." The anxious noise that creeps over it all at the end reinforces the interpretation for me.

So it's this dark and unsettling little beast wrapped up in a shiny pop shell. Lovely. (And sooo much of the album is like this.)
    Yes.

To me, it is harder for its chorus and darker for its body shift than any NIN single since ITV (minus CBH). And that's just sonically speaking.

"Everything" is seriously obvious dichotomy. This much would've been perceived by me even if it just went on the GH (along with Satellite) and there wasn't any derived material as a result.

The song having made the cut makes not only one more track placement I will enjoy as I do, acting as an album shake-up in more ways than one, but it expands the album narrative more, simply bringing things to more interesting grounds for the big picture. It sticks out but it sticks.

Not to seem so self-righteous in my appreciation/understanding and/or fondness of it (probably did)...because people are gonna dislike or hate it for very "innocent" reasons, too, I would say. The same way I don't like a brutal and heavy song when I really like the next song that could be described that same basic way (a general example).

Pretty damn curious about the song's music video.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    As plainly written on the front page of nin.com, yes. Would've been quite silly to do it otherwise, wouldn't it ?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Yes:
    If you ordered any format of Hesitation Marks from nin.com, you’ll be able to download one or both mastering versions, in whichever formats you prefer (MP3, FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WAV), beginning September 3rd.
    'spose I should have linked to the full article rather than just quoting a bit of it, when I first posted: http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post...-two-different

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ahh didnt really read it well enough because I'm doing other things. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Just saw the Tweet regarding the alternate mastering. Goddammit I love TR and NIN. Always operating with regard for fans and approaching us and his work with integrity.

This makes it totally worth paying a premium to order through nin.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Guess I'm not the target audience for this, but still: will I actually have some kind of benefit from this alternate mix with standard equipment? I'll be listening to the album on my iphone the most.
    The "loud" version can sound better on lower quality headphones and speakers, as the expansive dynamic range of the "audiophile" version would fail due to equipment limitations. In situations where there is a lot of surrounding noise, like at the gym or in your car, the loud version can be preferable. But if you like your music at a higher volume but find that it is often headache-inducing, then the audiophile mastering can really help-not to mention the added fidelity and subtlety (higher highs and lower lows making for better dynamic range).
    Last edited by Arkadin; 08-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll see if I can get my hands on the alternate mix and see fror myself. Sounds interesting nevertheless and could turn out to be a nice qay to test my several headphones.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Fuck, so glad i ordered this from nin.com. Cant wait to hear the other version.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    The "loud" version can sound better on lower quality headphones and speakers, as the expansive dynamic range of the "audiophile" version would fail due to equipment limitations. In situations where there is a lot of surrounding noise, like at the gym or in your car, the loud version can be preferable. But if you like your music at a higher volume but find that it is often headache-inducing, then the audiophile mastering can really help-not to mention the added fidelity and subtlety (higher highs and lower lows making for better dynamic range).

Not trying to be a dick, and I may even be wrong, but I don't think this is entirely correct. The "loud" version isn't going to have any frequencies that the "audiophile" version has as I think you're suggesting. The increased dynamic range means there's more of a range of volume compared to the "loud version", hence adding more subtlety to dynamic changes. But the "loud" version isn't clipping frequencies.

I'm certainly not an expert here, but I don't think decreasing the dynamic range removes any information, but merely shrinks the difference between soft and loud.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I almost cancelled my Amazon order of the vinyl to take advantage of the alternate mastering available through the NIN website, but then I looked at how much I'd be paying and said, "Nope." Looks like I'll be torrenting that instead...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fuchal View Post
    According to NIN's twitter, the vinyl has it's own optimized mastering.

"@rjmunthe @Atubbs It was expertly mastered for vinyl to sound the very best on that format. Maybe listen to it before you start bitching."
    I got bitched at by Rob Sheridan!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, i just got the vinyl (and the stores that are selling the album ran out of regular CDs). Also, I watched the deluxe cd and it's beautiful.
    More to follow.
    Last edited by hanakuso; 08-28-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    even though i already have a deluxe order from amazon, i went ahead and ordered a digital copy from nin.com specifically for the alternate mastering version. true, i could have waited a day and torrented it, but, i figure, this way it might encourage trent and co. to follow the same pattern in the future as far as alternate masters go. it sounds like a great idea to me.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    even though i already have a deluxe order from amazon, i went ahead and ordered a digital copy from nin.com specifically for the alternate mastering version. true, i could have waited a day and torrented it, but, i figure, this way it might encourage trent and co. to follow the same pattern in the future as far as alternate masters go. it sounds like a great idea to me.
    That's actually a really good idea! I'll be getting a CD with the vinyl (I was so excited when Trent did that with the HTDA vinyl as well), so it makes sense to purchase a digital copy. It's only $12...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    That's actually a good idea! I'll be getting a CD with the vinyl (I was so excited when Trent did that with the HTDA vinyl as well), so it makes sense to purchase a digital copy. It's only $12...
    that was my thought exactly. i'm just glad there was still time to pre-order, heh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think worrying about whether one's equipment is "audiophile enough" is a purely semantic exercise at this point. I mean sure, most people can figure out when they have shit headphones vs. nice speakers, but so much in between becomes a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

I will say this: it has been proven that headphones vs. open air listening can have a big effect on the nuances you hear. So can your overall environment. Not to mention your mood. Oh, and do you have your winamp or car stereo or ipod set to an EQ setting? There you go again.

But if you really listen to the album once... and then really listen to it again in a different manner (changing equipment or setting, etc) you will hear different subtleties. Lyrics become clearer, instrumentation sparkles and fades, highlights change.

Trent & Co. have provided yet another way to experience the album, for free, whenever you're ready. They're not saying you have to hear it any one way. And maybe you won't miss or gain anything. But the option is there. Having listened to the leak several dozen times already, WOW I suddenly have more to look forward to on the 3rd, again! Fuckin' A!

Try the standard mix a few different ways. If you can pick up nuances, then you might give the audiophile mix a go. You've got nothing to lose... but you might slip into a Ford v. Chevy (er, Bose v. Boston v. Sennheiser et al) debate...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    It was already leaked online but got pulled as they're working on rights issues regarding Pokemon and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    I almost cancelled my Amazon order of the vinyl to take advantage of the alternate mastering available through the NIN website, but then I looked at how much I'd be paying and said, "Nope." Looks like I'll be torrenting that instead...
    I thought about that same thing.. and came to the same conclusion.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yea I was about to cancel my order on Amazon as well, then I saw the shipping.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    It was already leaked online but got pulled as they're working on rights issues regarding Pokemon and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Yea I was about to cancel my order on Amazon as well, then I saw the shipping.
    There was an issue with initial orders where the shipping was WAY overestimated... I think deleting and re-adding your address fixed the issue and made shipping much more reasonable. Are you sure you guys aren't seeing the mistaken price?

I think it had something to do with the accounts being imported from our old nin.com accounts. I know I didn't order the vinyl from nin.com initially but then when I found out that the shipping price was a mistake they cancelled my DE order so I could order both as a bundle. Shipping was very reasonable.

I have no idea what thread contained the fix for the address problem, sadly. Maybe way back at the beginning of this thread?