Page 158 of 241 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 156 157 158 159 160 168 208 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,740 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hanakuso View Post
    And, regarding the guest list:
    SPOILERS AGAIN::
    http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/826/si3u.jpg
    man, adrian is ALL OVER the album. and not just on guitar, which is especially cool. really bummed it didn't work out having him in the touring lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I'm Still Here has samples from a Hank Williams song?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    There was an issue with initial orders where the shipping was WAY overestimated... I think deleting and re-adding your address fixed the issue and made shipping much more reasonable. Are you sure you guys aren't seeing the mistaken price?

I think it had something to do with the accounts being imported from our old nin.com accounts. I know I didn't order the vinyl from nin.com initially but then when I found out that the shipping price was a mistake they cancelled my DE order so I could order both as a bundle. Shipping was very reasonable.

I have no idea what thread contained the fix for the address problem, sadly. Maybe way back at the beginning of this thread?

I am only keeping my order because I selected their free "next-day" shipping when I was on a trial period of Prime.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Looks awesome. Any seam splits? How sturdy are the slips for the individual vinyls? Paper thin, or more like cardstock-like?

I'm really hoping for no seam splits on those inner sleeves.. God that would piss me off..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am legitimately shocked that Cortini wasn't involved with While I'm Still Here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    No worries. We're here to help.
    And no, there are no holes in the sleeves or so to, well, you know...
    What's with the holes in the sleeve? I've seen that mentioned a few times now but i'm clueless.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I love the fact that the only song with a co-writer is really just less than a minute of beeps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    While I'm Still Here has samples from a Hank Williams song?
    Ok...i'll bite...lets play a game.....first one to figure out the sample wins.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I had a sneaking suspicion that Josh was criminally underused on this album. Looks like I'm right.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    agree with goingincirclez. even if you end up preferring the standard version to the audiophile version, you have the added option of doing an A/B comparison between the mixes - not to determine which is better, but to recognize more details in the recording. from the description, it should be more significant than messing with your speakers and EQ, but less so than hearing the separate tracks in a multitrack release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortfeazor View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, and I may even be wrong, but I don't think this is entirely correct. The "loud" version isn't going to have any frequencies that the "audiophile" version has as I think you're suggesting. The increased dynamic range means there's more of a range of volume compared to the "loud version", hence adding more subtlety to dynamic changes. But the "loud" version isn't clipping frequencies.

I'm certainly not an expert here, but I don't think decreasing the dynamic range removes any information, but merely shrinks the difference between soft and loud.
    i'm not sure the post this is responding says that information is lost with one mix or the other or anything about clipping frequencies (which doesn't even make sense?), but the issue is more about perception than what exactly is in the mix. in any mix, some sounds in the recording will mask others (so you can't hear them), as will background noise, and decreased dynamic range can mean less "information" in the sense that you can't differentiate between the loudness of one sound and another that is slightly louder/quieter.

(i'm not a recording engineer expert either, though. an engineer specializing in audio, but that's different.)
    you're right, though, not to mention what AM mentioned in the official post about the loss of bass information just to make the overall level louder.

NIN has been the posterchild for the loudness war since 1994. it is extremely important that they are doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Looks awesome. Any seam splits? How sturdy are the slips for the individual vinyls? Paper thin, or more like cardstock-like?

I'm really hoping for no seam splits on those inner sleeves.. God that would piss me off..
    It's cardstock. They look quite resistent. The vinyls fits nicely in them, and the seams are glued in a quite stealthy way. Relax

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    you're right, though, not to mention what AM mentioned in the official post about the loss of bass information just to make the overall level louder.

NIN has been the posterchild for the loudness war since 1994. it is extremely important that they are doing this.
    As someone who is interested in the topic but doesn't know much can you elaborate on that last sentence please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nobies View Post
    I had a sneaking suspicion that Josh was criminally underused on this album. Looks like I'm right.
    Josh Wink?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    While I'm Still Here: Trent Reznor - Saxophone

speechless

imagine him actually playing that part

I already shat my pants laughing

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I think of the sax as TR's little parting gift to us, his dry humor in musical form.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post

speechless

have you never heard driver down!? (i freaking love that song)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like there's some sax in the mix at the end of find my way. Does anyone else hear this? It's towards the very end of the song.

I'm loving this fucking album by the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by broevol View Post
    Josh Wink?
    Overused, tbh. All of these songs start and end with his signature DJ noodling.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hani View Post

speechless

Why's that funny? (and why is this stupid computer I'm using not allowing me to hit enter?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    As someone who is interested in the topic but doesn't know much can you elaborate on that last sentence please?
    Loudness war = sacrificing the audio quality and fidelity for loudness by means of dynamic range reduction (reducing the difference between loud and quiet sounds), limiting, clipping (cutting off the peaks of the waveform resulting in distortion) and other things. This site may be useful: http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    There's sax on purest feeling and the Lost Highway OST tracks too

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Why's that funny? (and why is this stupid computer I'm using not allowing me to hit enter?)
    There used to be a way-too-enormous thread on nin.com where people were in search of the elusive photo of Trent Reznor playing saxophone. It turned into a running gag, the source of Photoshops, etc. I believe people were petitioning him to play sax on stage Just. One. Time.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    There's sax on purest feeling and the Lost Highway OST tracks too
    I wanted to give him some video so he didn't have to actually imagine it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    There used to be a way-too-enormous thread on nin.com where people were in search of the elusive photo of Trent Reznor playing saxophone. It turned into a running gag, the source of Photoshops, etc. I believe people were petitioning him to play sax on stage Just. One. Time.
    Didn't the nin.com forums not start until after that tour though?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I believe people were petitioning him to play sax on stage Just. One. Time.
    Maybe ... just once?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Oh baby.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    have you never heard driver down!? (i freaking love that song)
    I actually did, when I saw Lost Highway for the first time. anyway, it brings a smile to my face to imagine how Trent handles that saxophone. do you think he makes sweet love to them, just like to his tambourines?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    You beat me to it! As a sax fiend, I am super happy about this.

(the only way anyone should play the sax)
    Last edited by halo33; 08-28-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    oh my. VMOE is soo fucking awesome

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think it's just funny because picture 48-year-old bulging muscles Trent recording that honking sax line.

Plus it's on a proper NIN track, finally (Purest Feeling and Driver Down don't count in that regard)