Page 159 of 241 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    wasn't there some sax at the very end of All The Love In the World as well?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Those performances were all Tenor saxes. "Capital G" is the only other Reznor-related track to use a Baritone sax.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    btw, I'd like to start a "While I'm Still Here/Black Noise" club, where we listen to those tracks all the time

because, well, I could listen nothing else for a month. and the aforementioned SAX - I'm in love

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Oh baby.

I still can't tell which part of this song he sampled, damn it.

I don't want to listen to it all day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From the facebook page:

"Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album throughhttp://store.nin.com . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version.For a detailed explanation with quotes from Alan Moulder and Tom Baker, read our blog post athttp://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post...-two-different
    NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    From the facebook page:

"Hesitation Marks was mastered in two different ways - the standard, “loud” mastering (which is what you’ll find on the CD, on iTunes, and everywhere else), and also an alternate “audiophile” mastering, which we’re offering as a free download option for anyone who purchases the album throughhttp://store.nin.com . For the majority of people, the standard version will be preferable and differences will be difficult to detect. Audiophiles with high-end equipment and an understanding of the mastering process might prefer the alternate version.For a detailed explanation with quotes from Alan Moulder and Tom Baker, read our blog post athttp://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post...-two-different
    NOTE: The standard mastered version is in no way inferior to the Audiophile Version - we wouldn’t release something inferior as the default. And vinyl purists rest assured, the vinyl edition was mastered to sound the very best for that format. The Audiophile Version is merely an alternate take on the mastering, which some people will appreciate. It’s meant to give a slightly different experience, not denigrate the standard version. Listen to each and come to your own conclusions."
    REALLY nice! Originally I was planning to buy the album at a local store, but with this thing I will definitely purchase it at nin.com. I already thought that they tried to make the standard mix more dynamic than usual, for example the loud part in Copy of A is indeed louder than the other parts and not just containing more sound. But with a more quiet mastering there will be more possibilities to do things like this. I'm really excited! Turn the volume up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

TR played sax during his tour with Bowie. Can't recall which song though.

Edit: poop it is above.
    Last edited by fortheloveofgod; 08-28-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    Subterraneans. Scroll up to hear it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofgod View Post
    "Subterraneans." the best arrangement of it ever made! (including the "Scary Monsters" lyrics, imo)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    you're right, though, not to mention what AM mentioned in the official post about the loss of bass information just to make the overall level louder.

NIN has been the posterchild for the loudness war since 1994. it is extremely important that they are doing this.
    As someone who is interested in the topic but doesn't know much can you elaborate on that last sentence please?
    i went with 1994 because even the original TDS master is only DR8, but i could have gone with 1992 — Broken is also DR8, overcompressed despite having more headroom than the contemporary average. only the first four Halos had good, responsible levels; compare the original PHM and remastered version and you'll see what i mean (i.e. the remaster is literally half the DR value and about eight million times louder).

basically, while everyone attributes records like In Utero and (What's the Story) Morning Glory? to the popular-conscious birth of the loudness war, it's been part of the approach since NIN got live-band frenzied and started using loud rock stuffs. after all, the aggression is extremely digital, so it makes a lot of sense to use digital mastering to its limits (which were fresh as of 1994, in terms of brickwalling) — not that it should, just that when it did, there was more of a sense of appropriateness compared to, say, Oasis ballads and "Heart-Shaped Box" (gritty rawk notwithstanding).

anyway, NIN has been on the very leading edge of the loudness storm moving over the industry ever since. even the TDS 2004 remaster by Bob Ludwig changed very little — more headroom, but essentially the same as you'd get if you dropped the final levels of the original CD, really (and brought up the quieter bits, as that graphic from the NIN Hotline showed it's compressed a bit more). The Slip 24/96 hi-res download is still brickwalled, TGWTDT soundtrack is right up against the ceiling, everything's just been really goddamn loud for about as long as the musical output has turned abrasive.

it would be wonderful to hear The Fragile with the actual headroom with which they mixed. there are so many nuances on it and its satellites (TFA, Still) that the increased depth would present much clearer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    All this sax talk had me thinking of this.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    I still can't tell which part of this song he sampled, damn it.

I don't want to listen to it all day.
    It's not a sample, just credit for the lyrics: "all the things that might have been" & "watch young lovers [walking by...] God forgive me if I cry."
    Last edited by botley; 08-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    It's not a sample, just the lyrics: "Watch young lovers [passing by...] all the things that might have been, God forgive me if I cry."
    Of course, I was so focused on the music, I overlooked the lyrics.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure somebody else mentioned it, but I just saw my Preorder with Amazon dropped to 15.99. Yay, extra money to blow on other things.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethbryte View Post
    I'm sure somebody else mentioned it, but I just saw my Preorder with Amazon dropped to 15.99. Yay, extra money to blow on other things.
    Which version?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    It sounds like there's some sax in the mix at the end of find my way. Does anyone else hear this? It's towards the very end of the song.
    Right after the churchbells in the outro, yeah, it's there. One of the first things I noticed in the non-BBC rip. And a really interesting juxtaposition: church bells usually evoking the righteous path, while a sax denotes sexay gutta timez. Or something like that. Both are so subtle as to be missed. But they fit the song: which way to go? Find it, indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Which version?
    Oops, should've mentioned that. The Deluxe version.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've given this a lot of listens so far. 'I would for you' is getting a lot of repeat play, that chorus and outro is amazing. I wish I knew what or who he was singing about. I love that one guitar echo out thingy @ 1:42... This whole album is something else.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethbryte View Post
    Oops, should've mentioned that. The Deluxe version.
    Yup. Looks like mine was too. Guess I'm glad I didn't cancel the order and go through NIN.com like I was going to. It'll be cheaper to keep that and just buy the digital version through the band site even after changing my address to get lower shipping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm sorry to break it out to you all, but I believe Trent "played" saxophone on TDS: The sounds we hear at the beginning of Eraser are basically him blowing in a saxophone without making it resonate, or at least a saxophone's reed

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    I'm sorry to break it out to you all, but I believe Trent "played" saxophone on TDS: The sounds we hear at the beginning of Eraser are basically him blowing in a saxophone without making it resonate, or at least a saxophone's reed
    Thats pretty much what it sounds like to me too but I'm not sure if that counts as "playing saxophone" even with air quotes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always thought it was a McDonalds straw...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Old man Belew did backing vocals on Everything. That's what I'm talking about!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelnails95 View Post
    I always thought it was a McDonalds straw...
    I wonder what Trent would order at McDonalds?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    i wonder what trent would order at mcdonalds?
    "hey
    give me a big mac, okay"

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    From the facebook page:

Welp, that just made me cave in and pre-order all three versions from nin.com.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Old man Belew did backing vocals on Everything. That's what I'm talking about!
    Say what????

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FernandoDante View Post
    Say what????
    http://imageshack.com/scaled/large/826/si3u.jpg

Irmão!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    I wonder what Trent would order at McDonalds?
    Everything.

Let's see him survive THAT!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    TR blows into the reed and mouthpiece of his Tenor sax at the top of "Eraser", at least he did on stage in the 2009 live arrangements. There's a similar blowing sound layered in over the saxes on "While I'm Still Here", too, for added texture... I think that's the Baritone mouthpiece, though.
    Last edited by botley; 08-28-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    - Wurlitzer
    - WHEELHARP
    - No live drums in 'Everything'
    - That's the Buchla on 'Eater of Dreams'
    - TR 'solo' on 'Satelite' and 'Running'
    - ...and where the HELL is Cori Bardo these days?