Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Sorry forgot that was Katrina in 2005

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesus View Post
    Where's the "Everything" video??? it was supossed to be out the week of the release of the album
    I've been wondering about that, too, so I just checked Shynola's twitter and found this:
    https://twitter.com/SHYNOLAfilms/sta...15916102549504
    Last edited by piggy; 09-06-2013 at 07:06 AM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    When's the last time TR has played a bass live? I know he does in AATCHB, but I haven't seen him do it since.

Also, I LOVE when he plays bass.
    He played bass during the radio sessions in 2006 also and you can see him briefly picking it up on the videos for mantra from the Sound City Soundtrack.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah, can't wait to see what they do with the basslines in WISH and Everything. Pino throws in some sweet little runs there. (Another bassist here. Also, another grown man with a ponytail, ha ha ha :P)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volk View Post
    I never listen to a grown man with a ponytail.
    Poor Thom Yorke.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamelion View Post
    Yeah, can't wait to see what they do with the basslines in WISH and Everything. Pino throws in some sweet little runs there. (Another bassist here. Also, another grown man with a ponytail, ha ha ha :P)
    I don't believe Pino's punchy and powerful playing is to be found on Everything. On a related note, I look forward to sifting through the multitracks to see who exactly is playing which parts, if they have the tracks labeled as such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Where's the "Everything" video??? it was supossed to be out the week of the release of the album
    Funny, I always thought the video was for Copy Of A

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    I don't believe Pino's punchy and powerful playing is to be found on Everything. On a related note, I look forward to sifting through the multitracks to see who exactly is playing which parts, if they have the tracks labeled as such.
    Dammit! I meant to write All Time Low and WISH! Stupid brain.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i find the dichotomy of all time low/everything really interesting. I think the line 'everything is not ok' in ATL shows the two songs to be complementary and almost two sides of the same coin. 'Everything' feels to me like the joy and almost cockiness of overcoming something (like addiction depression etc) and feeling really positive about the future but then with 'All Time Low' realizing that even though you might have conquered the surface issues theres still underlying causes and that its not just going to be unicorns and rainbows from there on out. It seems to me that the upbeat and poppy nature of Everything's music and lyrics is exaggerated on purpose to make a point LOOK HOW HAPPY I AM CANT YOU TELL I'M HAPPY?!?! makes it feel quite fleeting and not to be taken at face value.

maybe i'm coloring it with my own experience too much but thats how I see those songs at least.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    rhet
    i find the dichotomy of all time low/everything really interesting. I think the line 'everything is not ok' in ATL shows the two songs to be complementary and almost two sides of the same coin. 'Everything' feels to me like the joy and almost cockiness of overcoming something (like addiction depression etc) and feeling really positive about the future but then with 'All Time Low' realizing that even though you might have conquered the surface issues theres still underlying causes and that its not just going to be unicorns and rainbows from there on out. It seems to me that the upbeat and poppy nature of Everything's music and lyrics is exaggerated on purpose to make a point LOOK HOW HAPPY I AM CANT YOU TELL I'M HAPPY?!?! makes it feel quite fleeting and not to be taken at face value.

maybe i'm coloring it with my own experience too much but thats how I see those songs at least.
    I feel the exact same way, but that's how I heard "Everything" initially anyway. It's classic sardonicism from Trent -- the same can be said about "ATLITW", when he cuts off his own lyrics before they get too drab and woe-is-me. And I love how its stripped-down, W_T-sound appears right in the middle of the album, in between two of his most electronic songs ever.

But I did wake up and listen to "All Time Low" this morning, and the way it loses itself is gorgeous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I've been wondering about that, too, so I just checked Shynola's twitter and found this:
    https://twitter.com/SHYNOLAfilms/sta...15916102549504
    SO WEIRD!!
    "The video for "Everything," directed byShynola (Radiohead, Beck), will premiere the week of the album's release."-from a press release of Columbia
    http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news...ails-is-.shtml

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    wouldn't be the first time TR has scrapped a video. (I can think of 3 offhand.)

frankly, given the incredibly divisive reaction to the song, I could see reconsidering it as a single. And you know, regardless of your feelings, its not terribly emblematic of the album and there's way catchier songs that are. All Time Low, pls!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    SO WEIRD!!
    "The video for "Everything," directed byShynola (Radiohead, Beck), will premiere the week of the album's release."-from a press release of Columbia
    http://www.sony.com/SCA/company-news...ails-is-.shtml
    Shynola denied the video was them the day before the song premiered on the radio - and the album has only been out a few days so there's still time

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I think a music video for Everything could better convey what is obvious to many of us now, in that it's far from a unicorn song, or lucky charms...what have you.

I believe knowing that much at this point separates the men from the boys, and the women from the girls. Just saying. #truefans

Seriously though, the chorus is not in the slightest bit "happy." Not in sound or message. It's rather twisted sounding, to say the least. And the way the two sounds of the song can somehow together work? I may have said it before, but in case not--the song is genius. Nothing else to see here. Except hopefully a video...goddamnit!

And no offense to @joplinpicasso, but I think to hear it as With Teeth in direction is a little too...easy... And/Or maybe I'm just capable of pretentiousness. But I do agree with your other comment about it being more dynamic than some of the more WT upbeat songs parallels can be drawn to.
    Last edited by Amaro; 09-06-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks sold out in amazon... I hope my pre-ordered copy got shipped before

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Hesitation Marks sold out in amazon... I hope my pre-ordered copy got shipped before
    Track it, bro?

Anyhow, that would seem like good news for NIN.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    @Magrão
    No offense taken, ha! It's just how I hear it. The bass tone is definitely reminiscent of the bass heard in WT, Ghosts, and TS, imo, not to mention the Echoplex-like drum machine buildup. Trust me, it's a fantastic song penned by TR. What I wonder is this: if Trent recorded this for the 'greatest hits,' and the liner notes credit Belew with electronics, at what point was he brought in? Is there a less electronic demo of "Everything"?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone notice that the version of HM on Spotify has the rehearsal versions of Copy of A and Find My Way?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowimdowninit View Post
    Anyone notice that the version of HM on Spotify has the rehearsal versions of Copy of A and Find My Way?
    Something tells me that your media player is linked to your Spotify and instead of playing the version on spotify it's playing directly from your ipod/itunes or w/ever.

EDIT: That being said my spotify on my work computer, my phone, my ipad and my home computer all play the studio versions of those tracks, as does my girlfriends account on her phone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Something tells me that your media player is linked to your Spotify and instead of playing the version on spotify it's playing directly from your ipod/itunes or w/ever.

EDIT: That being said my spotify on my work computer, my phone, my ipad and my home computer all play the studio versions of those tracks, as does my girlfriends account on her phone.
    You are right. I stand (actually sit) corrected.

Fixed now. Nice.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    He played bass during the radio sessions in 2006 also and you can see him briefly picking it up on the videos for mantra from the Sound City Soundtrack.
    Correct - he played it on Reptile w Peter Murphy singing iirc. You have to look it up if you've never seen it.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    You are right. I stand (actually sit) corrected.

Fixed now. Nice.

Thanks!
    Spotify is a fickle bitch haha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post

What about your cat's iPad mini? Did you check that?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    What about your cat's iPad mini? Did you check that?
    We only watch NIN videos and play the purina app on that one, so can't verify on that one lol

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I don't know if it was posted or not but Bloody Disgusting gave HM 2 out 5. Pretty much told Trent to retire already.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...sitation-marks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    I don't know if it was posted or not but Bloody Disgusting gave HM 2 out 5. Pretty much told Trent to retire already.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...sitation-marks
    Good.

Feel free to leave the fanbase, goths. You'll find a bunch of metalheads on the other side waiting for you. We're happy here with our electroglitchpop, thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Spotify has an issue where sometimes, instead of playing the version of the song that THEY have in their system, it plays a local copy that you've imported previously. For instance, anytime I try to listen to the studio version of 1,000,000 it plays the version from Fuji Rock.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
    Correct - he played it on Reptile w Peter Murphy singing iirc. You have to look it up if you've never seen it.
    There's also that footage of Trent on bass in the rehearsal room for The Fragile - Just Like You Imagined, I think. That's a really interesting look at the structure of the song. As for Hesitation Marks, the album is getting regular play in our car to and from school, so the kids are digging it. My daughter, who just started high school, really likes Everything, enjoys All Time Low (but thinks it's a real departure from NIN's regular sound) and enjoys chilling out to Find My Way. Her younger brother just wants to hear Tetsuo the Bulletman. Or Iron Maiden.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamelion View Post
    Her younger brother just wants to hear Tetsuo the Bulletman.
    What a fucking boss.