Page 209 of 241 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 219 ... LastLast
Results 6,241 to 6,270 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
    Really, this is a trifling concern, but since ATL comes right after Find My Way (a slow tempo piece) the extended coda feels unnecessary.
    nothing in music is necessary. (why can't you just say you don't like it or it makes you bored?)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Concerning "ATL": the first verses and pre-chorus represent the ecstasy of addiction, and the second verses and chorus are the climax of the song and represent the vicious 'comedown', so the outro just spaces out, trying to make sense of what came before. There's some interesting stuff going on there, layer-wise, though Trent obviously didn't want to throw too many layers on because he could (NPR article).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    nothing in music is necessary. (why can't you just say you don't like it or it makes you bored?)
    Fair enough, but it just drags on for me (my opinion, of course, and not that it really impacts the album as a whole). Another observation: I'm not quite sure why some are criticizing the vocals on the first verse of Dissapointed, they sound fine to me. The second half of that song is terrific as well.
    Last edited by Ichiro; 09-08-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm just a copy of a ha ha haunted

I love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After listening to this album multiple times and absorbing it, I have one thing to say.

I want more. Trent, make another album! Maybe another Ghosts? Or HTDA? Or another film score?

I am a selfish Reznor fan.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Some random HM observations:

Ever since June, I've been wondering if "Came Back Haunted" is about Trent's heroin incident and that maybe he had a near death experience and actually died for a minute or two, the way Dave Gahan did when he had his big overdose.

The ticking/clicking noises in "The Eater of Dreams" are so interesting because they actually produce an almost physical sensation inside my ears when I hear them. Very weird and very awesome.

I hope I won't be attacked for this, but I can't help but feel that this would have been a better album if Trent hadn't decided to keep most of the drum machine usage intact and had re-tracked more of it with real drums instead. The generic hand-clap stuff, for example, gets kind of grating for me.

I've never really heard an American say 'data' the way Trent does in "Satellite". I thought it was pronounced that way in the UK and pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with 'cat' in the US. Obviously it doesn't matter, I was just surprised is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think In Two is my favorite track, then Various Methods Of Escape. BTW, I don't think this is album is trying to be this thing that explodes and fills you with aggression. This is a mature and reflective effort. It has it's share of aggression but keeps itself in check, trying to send a message that the reflective period should have a soundscape of slight aggression, ambient waves of sound, eerie textures and obscure rhythmic beats. It is a new statement by Reznor. Not a rehashed one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    x-post:

Hesitation Marks debuts at #5 on the Irish album charts, highest ever NIN position:
    http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp#albums

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I've never really heard an American say 'data' the way Trent does in "Satellite". I thought it was pronounced that way in the UK and pronounced with the first syllable rhyming with 'cat' in the US. Obviously it doesn't matter, I was just surprised is all.
    I've always pronounced it "day-tuh" and I'm from smack in the middle of Nowhere, USA. FWIW.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Finally received the vinyl copy this morning from Amazon. It's gorgeous, can't wait to give it a spin!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm listening to Hesitation Marks again after a few days of leaving it alone and it still resonates. Damn this is good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store in Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days they will be available again. They had to remove them from sale and destroy them :O

Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?
    Last edited by dzaver; 09-09-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store i Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days there will be available. Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?
    The lyrics aren't exactly right but I doubt that they arranged a repressing because of this or pulled a halt onto the ongoing prodcution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    For anyone wondering why the delay of the deluxe edition of HM. I got the information from a local store i Europe. There was a printing error so they have to reprint it - in 10 days there will be available. Anyone noticed any erorrs on the ones they already got?
    No, not that I can see.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I wonder what might be the problem that they pulled them from selling and reprinted them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    its my first listen to the album now... got the vinyl today. listening to Running now. FUCK!? oH my GOOOODDDD. I love what I hear!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Another week begins - still no CD. Can't stop playing the album, though. It's all me and my wife want to listen to - even other NIN is not sufficient at this time .

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Another week begins - still no Vinyl!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well the album as finally settled and these are on constant repeat:

find my way
    all time low
    sattelite
    various methods of escape
    running
    I would for you
    in two

copy of a would be up there too but fuck, I might have heard it to death before the albums release. It's still a killer when I listen to the album as whole!

I still can't get into while I'm still here, cbh is overplayed aswell, disappointed is a great standalone track and everything is the misunderstood sibling of all the other tracks. I take immense care of him when the others are not looking though. :P

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Copy of A, Find My Way, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Running, In Two, and While I'm Still Here are my favorites. Really, the whole album is great. I still find my self coming back to Came Back Haunted (no pun intended) even though with most singles I don't think I ever do that. All in all, this album as of now is cemented as one of my favorite albums he's done.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ComradeCornhole View Post
    I've always pronounced it "day-tuh" and I'm from smack in the middle of Nowhere, USA. FWIW.
    My husband and most of his friends are biology grad students so I hear the word an awful lot, and "day-tuh" is much more common. The students are from all over the US and a few other countries as well.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Is anyone having trouble with the digital downloads from NIN.com?

Everytime I try and download the:

HM Audiophile (WAV), HM (Lossless) and HM (WAV) ... the download starts (very fast I might add) but slows to a stop and times out everytime. Ive tried every different browser and a different computer.

If ANYONE is willing to help me out in getting these 3 files, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    have you made music before? up to a point, simplicity (like "this is boring" or "i don't like this") is applicable, but the more you get inside a track, the more you feel whatever pull it has on its own. there's no sentience but there is a sort of 'gravity' in music that we can detect and interpret. it would differ for everyone, subjective as this all is, but i don't find the existence of this sense of 'gravity' subjective at all. i hear it in every song.

tl;dr: the song tells you what is 'necessary' once you understand it for yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    after sitting with it for a while, my favorites are pretty much:

Copy of A
    Various Methods of Escape
    While I'm Still Here
    Satellite

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    have you made music before? up to a point, simplicity (like "this is boring" or "i don't like this") is applicable, but the more you get inside a track, the more you feel whatever pull it has on its own. there's no sentience but there is a sort of 'gravity' in music that we can detect and interpret. it would differ for everyone, subjective as this all is, but i don't find the existence of this sense of 'gravity' subjective at all. i hear it in every song.

tl;dr: the song tells you what is 'necessary' once you understand it for yourself.
    yes, i have. and i'd rather not have someone else describe my music as wrong because it doesn't have the amount and type of development that they are expecting. personally, i think it'd be better if no one described any music as being incorrect.

no musical work has only one way of understanding it, so there is no one "rightness" or "gravity" to it.

and just because you feel confident enough in your subjectivity that you believe it to be objective, doesn't mean you are actually being objective.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Late to the party, but I got it today. Is posting pics of yourself holding your copy still a thing?

Crappy webcam quality, for which I apologize. My shirt is not associated with scorpiusdiamond's avatar in any way, but I do approve his taste in movies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After about 100 times through the cd I still love it. I just cant stop listening to it it is sooooo good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    this album, the recent released tour rehearsals and the older With Teeth era tour rehearsals are pretty much all I've been listening to.. I need nothing else (except maybe the new Crosses album whenever that's released)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It looks like I'm in the minority here, but other than The Eater of Dreams and Copy of A, I think Hesitation Marks totally blows. All Time Low and Disappointed are pretty accurate terms for describing the album, and pretty much sum up my feelings as a whole.

My main complaint are the vocals/lyrics on HM. They all sound so weak and hollow compared to anything else that TR has done. Hearing this album makes me wish that when NIN was "put away" for a while after the Wave Goodbye tour, it would have stayed there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
    It looks like I'm in the minority here, but other than The Eater of Dreams and Copy of A, I think Hesitation Marks totally blows. All Time Low and Disappointed are pretty accurate terms for describing the album, and pretty much sum up my feelings as a whole.

My main complaint are the vocals/lyrics on HM. They all sound so weak and hollow compared to anything else that TR has done. Hearing this album makes me wish that when NIN was "put away" for a while after the Wave Goodbye tour, it would have stayed there.
    If you can't find something to like on this album to the point that "it totally blows" I can't even fathom your reasoning. The one point you offer about lyrics is crazy considering the quality of vocals and lyrics on every album after TDS and up to this one.... As a curiosity which era drew you in?