Page 217 of 241 FirstFirst ... 117 167 207 215 216 217 218 219 227 ... LastLast
Results 6,481 to 6,510 of 7217

Thread: halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtinMinorKey View Post
    It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music. The obvious reason for this deception is that no one is going to like the idea of NIN-Lite.
    i'm going to have to disagree with you 100% in claming that Trent Reznor, known to be a total control freak as far as NIN goes, would ghost-write. unless you're referring to the album Ghosts, which was written with several others since it was more or less a series of jams. but other than that, yeah.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Ghosts is a great album.

Just felt the urge to state that just now.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    um, that is really, really awesome. well done.
    It's like a very sweet combination of Fixed, Pretty Hate Machine, and The Downward Spiral.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    i'm going to have to disagree with you 100% in claming that Trent Reznor, known to be a total control freak as far as NIN goes, would ghost-write. unless you're referring to the album Ghosts, which was written with several others since it was more or less a series of jams. but other than that, yeah.
    Fair enough. All I can say is, my ears tell me different, and that the equation changes a lot when you are pushing 50 with two kids.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Fair enough. All I can say is, my ears tell me different, and that the equation changes a lot when you are pushing 50 with two kids.
    I think that cuts both ways -- a lot of things in the equation change when you are pushing 50 with two kids, including how your music comes out. Might be why you think it sounds so different.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

halo twenty eight. hesitation marks. 09.03.2013

I'm pushing 30 with 3 kids and I love it more and more every time I hear it. Its honestly the only thing I've been listening to since the leak. My kids love it too, I have to edit all time low on my own with the volume though, lol still looking for a edit copy of it I can put on my car cd for them.

Seriously though this album is in line with downward spiral and the fragile. I really thought it would start to wear off by the 2 month mark, but it just keeps getting better and better.

Love everything and anything to do with the artwork, I'm obsessed with it.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMorlock View Post
    I really liked the initial artwork for Hesitation Marks, and really wanted in shirt form. It became apparent this would never happen since NIN's shirts are so weirdly limited in design so I made my own. I'm fairly pleased with how it came out.

You use bleach to get the color effect?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music.
    examples? just curious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsewidthmod View Post
    wow, Arcade Fire's performance on SNL was the biggest shit-show ever; it was awful. I really liked the suburbs but after seeing them on SNL, I have absolutely no interest in them anymore. Nice pants he was wearing too with the eye all over it.

I haven't listened to the new MGMT record yet, but I like one of the songs I heard.
    Agreed, I like the new Arcade Fire tracks enough, I'll bet their better live. The concept of pseudo-band has been done alot better but mostly those mascot, bobble head, piñata-looking masks are fucking corny.

I don't think Reznor had a ghost-writer for any HM songs. Seems counter-productive. I think he's reusing things he's done before to different, subtle results. Maybe the studio process was more collaborative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can't stop listening to Hesitation Marks... I really hope they make another album very similar to the style of this one. Every song is excellent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So the Everything video is canned because of a negative first reaction to the song?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    So the Everything video is canned because of a negative first reaction to the song?
    No idea really, and of course Shynola are going to say the video kicks ass! However since Trent himself referred to the song as an 'irritant' I wonder if that is the reason rather than the video sucking, I mean the CBH video actually repels you from the screen and that was released

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    No idea really, and of course Shynola are going to say the video kicks ass! However since Trent himself referred to the song as an 'irritant' I wonder if that is the reason rather than the video sucking, I mean the CBH video actually repels you from the screen and that was released
    Telling Shynola to sitt on their hands is a wee bit different then telling Mr. Lynch to do the same.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    examples? just curious.
    Pretty much any pop artist. Sometimes the real writers are listed as co-wrriters, sometimes they are not listed at all. Just look at Brittney spears over her career. As she got more famous she started to get more writing credits on her albums. Do you really think she all of a sudden started writing her own songs?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Pretty much any pop artist. Sometimes the real writers are listed as co-wrriters, sometimes they are not listed at all. Just look at Brittney spears over her career. As she got more famous she started to get more writing credits on her albums. Do you really think she all of a sudden started writing her own songs?
    oh, okay. i guess i was wondering if there were examples a little more similar to NIN (the "rock" category or whatever). also, if there's anything like what is being claimed here, that someone well known for their songwriting starts getting ghostwritten.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's called ghost writing, and it's common in music. The obvious reason for this deception is that no one is going to like the idea of NIN-Lite.
    I think the song Banditos by the refreshments was ghost written too!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Regarding HM ghost writing, I don't think Trent would emphasize how honest to who he is and how he feels now he is being with HM if he wasn't the main force behind the songs, both lyrically and melodically. Yeah, he had some musicians play some instruments that Trent then (according to Ilan) chopped up to the extent that he doesn't even know what parts are him, but I highly doubt HM is ghost written.
    idk, prove me wrong, I know I'm not right all the time. I just see no evidence that suggests otherwise.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm sorry, I find this whole idea of ghost writing HM to be wholly without any merit or evidence, and can't believe it's even being seriously considered.

The HM credits clearly state who did what.
    Last edited by screwdriver; 10-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    tront did something different?! it must have been written by someone else!

the difference you're hearing is the part of the process where TR, AR and AM purposely stepped out of their usual workflow, invited new musicians in and got them to add their totally unique style, then edited and chopped and changed their parts around. even if nothing that was originally played remains, it's the variety and choice of new and different collaborators that makes HM so strange and different from the same ambient-gloom workout that's been happening over and over for the last few years.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    to be clear, although i was asking about ghostwriting in (other) music, i am definitely not taking the claim seriously.

and i was trying to hold my tongue before, but claiming that an artist didn't create their own work because you don't like the work (or you don't like the artist, as is sometimes the case with such claims) is pretty offensive.

EDIT: by the way, i just looked through britney spears' albums on wikipedia. she doesn't have any sole writing credits at all. and doesn't have any writing credits on most of her songs. can't see how there's much ghostwriting there, either.
    Last edited by m15a; 10-22-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Um, I'm fairly sure Josh Wink wrote the whole album

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    lol, next someone will tell me this wasn't written and produced by Brad Strider!
    http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=3579

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    But Trent noodled with it a little, so it's all good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post
    still looking for a edit copy of it I can put on my car cd for them.
    Yup, can't have kids hearing blasphemous words. All hail Jesus.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Regarding HM ghost writing, I don't think Trent would emphasize how honest to who he is and how he feels now he is being with HM if he wasn't the main force behind the songs, both lyrically and melodically. Yeah, he had some musicians play some instruments that Trent then (according to Ilan) chopped up to the extent that he doesn't even know what parts are him, but I highly doubt HM is ghost written.
    idk, prove me wrong, I know I'm not right all the time. I just see no evidence that suggests otherwise.
    Lol, his announcement was something to the affect of "i haven't been honest about what i've been doing lately but...."

And i'm not saying it's a 100% ghost written. I'm saying that to my ear, it feels as though Trent's participation in the creation of HM was at a much higher level than normal for a NIN release. I'm sure he wrote his own lyrics (regrettably), and that he came up with the major ideas for the songs. But i feel like the crafting of the songs was done by others.

Again, this is wild speculation, but i've been listening to NIN for 20+ years at this point, and something about this sounds decidedly un-TRez. And it has nothing to do with the style of music.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post

EDIT: by the way, i just looked through britney spears' albums on wikipedia. she doesn't have any sole writing credits at all. and doesn't have any writing credits on most of her songs. can't see how there's much ghostwriting there, either.
    Earlier I was talking about the progression of her first few albums, not the latest ones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    But i feel like the crafting of the songs was done by others.

Again, this is wild speculation, but i've been listening to NIN for 20+ years at this point, and something about this sounds decidedly un-TRez. And it has nothing to do with the style of music.
    what do you mean by crafting? and how is the album un-TR? and can those differences not be explained by NIN's conscious effort to differentiate the albums in various ways (as described in interviews - differences in composition process, recording, and mixing)? you have to understand that you are making a pretty bold claim. and if you're just going to say, "well, that's how i feel", well, no one's going to bother considering what you say.

Earlier I was talking about the progression of her first few albums, not the latest ones.
    i see what you're saying, but ghostwriting doesn't mean crediting somebody that didn't contribute that significantly, it means not crediting somebody that did contribute significantly. maybe what i saw on wikipedia doesn't match what is written in the liner notes, but if it does, you can only claim ghostwriting if the composition was by someone not credited on the tracks at all. why would there be half a dozen writers listed if the actual writer was someone else entirely? i don't want to argue the definition of ghostwriting, but in any case, the example of britney spears is way different than what you're claiming about NIN and TR.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tollefson View Post
    I'm pushing 30 with 3 kids and I love it more and more every time I hear it. Its honestly the only thing I've been listening to since the leak. My kids love it too, I have to edit all time low on my own with the volume though, lol still looking for a edit copy of it I can put on my car cd for them.
    @Ryan Tollefson - Then perhaps you might like this topic. And I've always wondered about things like that, hence me making that thread. It's always interested me too. And this is just me, but perhaps you won't have to worry about such things when all/any of them at least reach ages 11 and 12 as kids.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...s-amp-Children

As for Hesitation Marks, it seemed very in line to Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth to me, but I am also willing to be with the camp that calls it the best NIN has ever released since The Fragile, but with the exception of Year Zero still putting up some sort of fight. And as far as a new NIN release, I've definitely been interested in it more than The Slip for some reason too. (Not to rag on The Slip or anything like that.)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Lol, his announcement was something to the affect of "i haven't been honest about what i've been doing lately but...."
    Yeah, meaning he wrote a full album when we were only told/expecting the 2 songs for the Greatest Hits album. Not "I haven't been honest, none of this music is actually me at all lololololo"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Yeah, meaning he wrote a full album when we were only told/expecting the 2 songs for the Greatest Hits album. Not "I haven't been honest, none of this music is actually me at all lololololo"
    Yes, TR the shining knight of truth and honesty. Remember, this is the same guy that had to cancel a show because he OD'd then blames it on Jerome Dillon.