Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Saul Williams

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/2016/01/31/464613...rn-day-parable

Interview with him re: the album.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    The first half of the album i really like. The second half I'm still digesting but I do think this is one of Saul's better records.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    This album will be in rotation. I really like "All Coltrane Solos At Once." I better dig in to the lyrics here. Lots of (messages/information) (filtered through/contained in) Saul's artistic creation. Truth is uncompromising. I watched an interview with Saul where he talked about style and substance. What Saul does is use style to package the truths he wants to tell. He compared this to commercial artists who use style to package what they think people want to hear. He talked about striking a balance between style and substance. Without an interesting style, not many people will want to hear your message. So he basically uses style as a tool to propagate his messages.

I feel like I want to link in to his network as many of us have linked in to Trent's. What I mean is, we have explored many of Trent's interests, inspirations and ideologies/beliefs. I want to do this with Saul. I'm especially interested in the books he has read.

He also worked with Kanye West during the making of 808s and Heartbreaks. The genius of Kanye is that he recognizes excellence and he tries to absorb it into his creative arsenal in order to better himself as an artist.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 02-05-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_k_f View Post
    On the track Ashes, I wasn't sure if the phrase "Dancing on the corpses ashes" was a term borrowed by At the Drive In from somewhere else or something they came up with... I tweeted Saul if it was a nod to ATDI in and he fav'd it? I tweeted Cedric what he thought about the track and his response was "On point!"
    Regardless, real good track... I'm liking this album.
    listening on vinyl right now and it's quite good. wish it came with a download code or an amazon auto-rip, but oh well.

anyway, in the liner notes, it specifically credits that line with being from the ATDI song as a lyrical sample. so it was definitely intentionally used from "invalid litter dept." (which was the first ATDI song i ever heard and is still my favorite).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love the line in Burundi "Treaties don't negate the fact you're dealing stolen property"...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Anyone else participate in Saul's recent AMA? (AMAs are the only time I'm ever on reddit personally)

He answered my question which was "Why leave THESE MTHRFCKRS off MartyrLoserKing?" His cryptic response = "it belongs to the future"

Making that answer even more cryptic, he said earlier in the AMA that THESE MTHRFCKRS is the song he's most proud of. Very interesting.
    Last edited by Deadpool; 02-08-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Anyone else participate in Saul's recent AMA? (AMAs are the only time I'm ever on reddit personally)

He answered my question which was "Why leave THESE MTHRFCKRS off MartyrLoserKing?" His cryptic response = "it belongs to the future"

Making that answer even more cryptic, he said earlier in the AMA that THESE MTHRFCKRS is the song he's most proud of. Very interesting.
    He's already confirmed that there's going to be a part two. Let's hope it materialises sooner than Year Zero 2 didn't.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    He's already confirmed that there's going to be a part two. Let's hope it materialises sooner than Year Zero 2 didn't.
    Let's not get our hopes up. See Bowie's Outside 2, QOTSA's Like Clockwork 2, obviously YZ2

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Handwritten lyrics for MartyrLoserKing are now available to download:

http://saulwilliams.com/wp-content/u...ritten-web.pdf

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    http://www.npr.org/sections/micropho...ampaign=buffer

Part 2 of MLK next year with the graphic novel which is being made right now. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm really loving every video for this. This project seems like his most cohesive, by far. It's just great. I cannot wait to get more videos, tour dates, whatever it is the guy throws at us. The whole MLK project seems like something he's put a lot into and is as passionate about it as anyone is.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

So good, even Saul himself liked it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw Saul last night.
    Jesus Christ, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    Don't miss him live.
    My highlight was him jumping into the crowd and singing Burundi with me.
    Yep.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I saw Saul last night.
    Jesus Christ, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    Don't miss him live.
    My highlight was him jumping into the crowd and singing Burundi with me.
    Yep.
    Well color me jealous. What part of Burundi did you get to sing? It's by far my favorite song on MLK. I'm really hoping he announces a more thorough NA tour and that I get the chance to finally see the man.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Swoosh! I'm a candle!" of course.
    Image here, as I can't shrink it down to be anything less than massive on here, I'm the idiot on the far left

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Fucking amazing album. So full of humanity and passion. I had to buy it, on a COMPACT DISC no less. A rarity now, even for me.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'm getting pretty hopeful that we'll get a video for every song, at the rate he's going. Loving all of this stuff. This feels like everything he was going for on Niggy Tardust taken to another level and realized in a really powerful way. One of the more exciting projects going on at the moment that's on my radar, for sure.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    When his rings appeared, I was like "NIGGYTARDUST!!!!1!1"

Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Just bought tickets to No One Ever Does live in St. Paul. Looks like it's Saul singing to the Mivos string quartet. One night only, should be interesting.

http://www.liquidmusicseries.org/sau...one-ever-does/

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)

This got talked about in some Salon interview he did where he mentioned a lot more about the whole MLK storyline and comic book he's working on. So glad to see that so far he's still got the ball rolling for this project. I think it's his most interesting work so far by far.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finally getting an official release of "These Mthrfckrs"!!

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Anyone know how to find These Mthrfckrs outside of Apple Music/iTunes? Can't find anything on the label's site or Saul's site or Amazon, either.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    This track is definitely NOT The Noise Came from Here. It seems to be the self-titled track MartyrLoserKing, cut from the final album. It doesn't appear on the remix album, either.
    Last edited by wizfan; 08-15-2016 at 01:05 PM.