Thread: Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.
    I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this.
    Last edited by botley; 12-02-2016 at 04:06 PM.