Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad. (SPOILERS)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    What makes you think it happened after? I'm pretty sure it was the same day.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    i'm guessing Walt is actually in the clear, as Todd must have picked up the tapes from Hank's (and Marie wasn't even there while they were filming).
    Nah, that makes no sense. No way is Walt even remotely in the clear. Hank and Gomez are missing after just calling Marie and telling her they had just arrested Walt. The police are there at Walt's house. They'll know whatever information that Marie and Skyler know, which obviously isn't as much as Jesse but is still plenty for them to be going after Walt. There's the whole knife fight, his abducting of Holly, the cops recording that whole phone conversation with Skyler. That's part of the reason he went driving off with Saul's minivan dude, cause he knows they've basically got him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    One nitpick I have. How can Holly be 18 months at this point? Could have been 8 but I remember hearing 18 when the cops are calling in the Amber Alert.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    One nitpick I have. How can Holly be 18 months at this point? Could have been 8 but I remember hearing 18 when the cops are calling in the Amber Alert.
    Yeah, I was trying to figure that out too. I suppose if Skyler was maybe 6 or 7 months pregnant in the pilot with Walt's 50th birthday, and she had Holly early (remember they'd planned on doing a c-section but the birth came early), Holly could theoretically be about 10 months old by Walt's 51st birthday episode from the first half of season 5. After that there are some unspecified leaps forward in time. Like the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage from the final episode of season 5.1 sort of implies that stretches of time are going by. It's also reasonable to assume that some months pass by between the Declan deal/Walt quitting and the day when Hank reads Leaves of Grass. Then maybe a few weeks since then. So i mean, it's kind of a stretch, but I suppose it's not impossible.

The thing is, that timeline would then imply that there's only about four months to go between yesterday's episode and the flash forward stuff of his 52nd birthday. Doesn't seem like very much time to get settled into New Hampshire and grow a beard, but whatever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Nah, that makes no sense. No way is Walt even remotely in the clear. Hank and Gomez are missing after just calling Marie and telling her they had just arrested Walt. The police are there at Walt's house. They'll know whatever information that Marie and Skyler know, which obviously isn't as much as Jesse but is still plenty for them to be going after Walt. There's the whole knife fight, his abducting of Holly, the cops recording that whole phone conversation with Skyler. That's part of the reason he went driving off with Saul's minivan dude, cause he knows they've basically got him.
    what evidence do they have for what Walt has done for the past year or so? there's no bodies either? it's all he said she said (and Hank's phone shouldn't be tapped, so his call to Marie is not exactly legit). i didn't mean Walt is totally in the clear. just don't see how he'd be convicted for being Heisenberg at this point. but we do know that things will go downhill for Heisenberg big time eventually. i was just noting current status.

maybe it's just me but the way Jesse's face was swollen, my guess is that by the time he started cooking (and it was daylight) that was a different day.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
    Doesn't seem like very much time to get settled into New Hampshire and grow a beard, but whatever.
    I have to disagree with that. I just moved from NSW to QLD, and it didn't take me four months to get settled. And it definitely doesn't take four months to grow a full beard and a head of hair. Not for everyone anyway.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantin View Post
    what evidence do they have for what Walt has done for the past year or so? there's no bodies either? it's all he said she said (and Hank's phone shouldn't be tapped, so his call to Marie is not exactly legit). i didn't mean Walt is totally in the clear. just don't see how he'd be convicted for being Heisenberg at this point.
    But they taped him on the phone saying stuff like "toe the line or you'll wind up just like Hank" and "how dare you tell my son what I do" and "you were always saying 'it's illegal, it's immoral' while I built this whole thing by myself." How could he possibly explain away that conversation, especially with Hank missing and his whole family saying that he's Heisenberg? Plus, I'm sure that Walt has considered that Saul's likely to get arrested sooner or later now that Skyler's talking to the cops. Obviously they're not gonna figure out the things they have no access to, like the stuff with Krazy 8 and whatnot, but no way could Walt just stroll into his home and be like "Ha! Go ahead and try it you fools, you'll never convict me."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ok, obviously the shit's already hit the fan and the writers want things to go downhill from here. for all anyone knows, Hank may have just taken a one way trip to Belize. Walt wasn't under oath when he called and he clearly wanted to save Skyler. also what was his plan exactly? drive home, pack his stuff and wait for Skyler to show up? it made no sense that he didn't call her once he had access to a phone. but then the plot would have gone a different way, not necessarily a more interesting way.

and i'd love for the next episode to be more like the "Fly" episode, with just Saul freaking out or something. the internet will explode!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Todd and Jack know that the Jessie tapes are at Marie's house.

Marie knows that the Jesse tapes are at her house, and the cops are in the room with her.

Who will get them first?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That was some smart baby-thievin'

The second time I watched it (yes, already) it occurred to me that Walt/the writers are even more shrewd than I thought initially, re: the Holly-snatching. I now think that Walt knew he had to do a little in-family black flag op against Skyler and he knew the cops had to hear the performance in real time. Taking Holly would guarantee that the cops would be crawling all over his house (he may have even gotten confirmation via the Amber Alert) and have the phones wired. He gave his confession and cleared Skyler in one stroke.

This is complicated by the "...mama..." baby-changing scene, which implied he really did, in the heat of rage, intend to take and keep his daughter and that only her keening for mommy turns him around on that idea. I await the commentary track to come.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhenry View Post
    The second time I watched it (yes, already) it occurred to me that Walt/the writers are even more shrewd than I thought initially, re: the Holly-snatching. I now think that Walt knew he had to do a little in-family black flag op against Skyler and he knew the cops had to hear the performance in real time. Taking Holly would guarantee that the cops would be crawling all over his house (he may have even gotten confirmation via the Amber Alert) and have the phones wired. He gave his confession and cleared Skyler in one stroke.

This is complicated by the "...mama..." baby-changing scene, which implied he really did, in the heat of rage, intend to take and keep his daughter and that only her keening for mommy turns him around on that idea. I await the commentary track to come.
    Yeah, a lot of my friends have been speculating that he planned that whole thing out, but personally I'm not so sure. He doesn't seem like he's thinking clearly in that scene at all. I mean he just got in a fucking knife fight with his wife while his son tackled him. I especially think that sight of Walt Jr. crouched down trying to protect Skyler really got to him. This was supposedly all "for his family," and yet they're both there looking at him as this dangerous monster. Holly was all he had left. So he just grabbed her and ran for it. I think it was just pure adrenaline and animal instinct. I don't see how he could have been clear headed enough in that moment to make any clever plans. I think you're right the baby-changing scene was when he realized what he had to do.

Then again, Breaking Bad has a history of miraculous leaps in logic (i.e: Jesse's revelation), so anything's possible I guess.
    Last edited by Mantra; 09-17-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    On the inside B.B. podcast for 514, Vince and co. discuss the phone call/baby scenes. They confirm that Walt does know what he's doing with the phone call and baby, clearing Skylar of implication. He knew that leaving was best for the family.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I re-watch every episode. I have not yet watched this one again. It was such a bleak, dark episode with everything (almost) being illuminated. We know the fates of most of these characters and it is dark, very dark. I will watch it again but with a heavy heart. I did miss the pants in the desert so I would like to catch that. A little comic relief.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    On the inside B.B. podcast for 514, Vince and co. discuss the phone call/baby scenes. They confirm that Walt does know what he's doing with the phone call and baby, clearing Skylar of implication. He knew that leaving was best for the family.
    I also liked that the podcast confirmed my suspicions that Skylar gave the smallest look of understanding of why Walt was saying all those things to her on the phone. It certainly does not redeem everything Walt has done to Skylar, but I'm sure she felt relieved not to worry about implication. It would be so interesting to hear what Skylar was thinking at that very moment. Walt did not have to do that for them, but even now at the very end, his family is still very important to him.

This episode left me wrecked emotionally. It took several hours for the shock to wear off, and TV has never really affected me this way (surpassing the feeling after the season 4 finale of Dexter).

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Last 2 episodes are getting extended runtimes http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/b...isodes-2284751

I'm assuming they'll be 60 minutes + 15 mins of commercials, like the Pilot was.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tonight! Very excited.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    So, I finally caught up a few minutes ago. I had heard that "Ozymandias" was dark but oh my GOD. Fuck. I started to feel sick to my stomach at one point.
    Last edited by theruiner; 09-22-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    uh... well then...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can't believe Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston didn't win any Emmys this year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Those award shows are a sham. Not worth being taken seriously, ever. Great precursor to the finale. And damn, every time we see Todd, he shows, even more than the previous, on how much of a monster he is. Thought it was great how the gray matter thing might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Destroyer View Post

Bobby Cannavale deserved his award.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Lydia is such a weasel.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Saul: "Nebraska? What's in Nebraska?" Nice plug.

Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    (Taken from Random Movie News thread!)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Nice catch.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Breaking Bad. (SPOILERS)

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Destroyer View Post

I imagine they're gonna clean house next year. I think the Emmy's this year only looked at the episodes from last summer

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fuck, this show really breaks my heart sometimes. That call between Walt and Flynn was so gut-wrenching.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nothing would make me happier than to see Todd and Lydia get the acid bath treatment, whilst still alive. Something about walt in that episode felt human again

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Relatively tame episode this time around. Makes sense, considering last week was such a blowout and next week's the finale. Gotta have a "calm" episode between those to make sure the viewers don't die.

Andrea's death really, really hurt. Like, it hurt more than Hank, honestly. That poor woman has done absolutely nothing to deserve anything that's happened to her and Brock. Thank God they didn't show Brock's reaction to that scene.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Yeah, the Andrea scene was really upsetting.

Todd is the most insane and amazing character on tv. That scene with him in his ski mask politely telling Skyler that she doesn't want them coming back. Him bringing Jesse some ice cream. Killing Andrea without even flinching. Picking the piece of lint off Lydia's shirt while talking about what a nice team they make. Smiling when the Jesse confession tape mentions him killing that kid.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think the way Chris Hardwick described him on Talking Bad nailed it - he's so logical and methodical in who he kills that it makes him even more terrifying.

He's obviously a complete psychopath - but he does everything in such a nonchalant way that it just makes him a hundred times worse. "Sorry, don't take this personally" as he puts a bullet through the back of Andrea's head. The way he keeps acting like he's Jesse's friend even though Jesse is literally a meth-cooking slave. It's utterly horrifying, the amount of fucks Todd doesn't give.

And when he does give a fuck, it's so, so much worse.