Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopovers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopovers

I couldn't find a thread on Mumford & Sons or the Gentlemen of the Road Stopovers.

I'm sure most of you are aware that Mumford & Sons stage little festivals in rural counties in the UK, US and now Canada called Gentlemen of the Road Stopovers. They are really cool events that turn small towns into a giant party for a few days. Here is the website link for more info http://www.gentlemenoftheroad.com/

The lineups are really great and feature a varying lineup for each stopover.

Is anybody going??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I was tempted to check this out when it came around here...it wasn't too expensive and there were actually a number of bands I like playing. I absolutely cannot stand Mumford & Sons, though.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I hate Mumford & Sons as well. They're just absolute crap. They're like the Coldplay version of folk-rock that spawned other lame acts like the Lumineers and the Civil Wars (yeah, those fuckers sucks too). I hate this new folk-pop trend shit.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Mumford & Sons Gentlemen of the Road Stopovers

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I hate Mumford & Sons as well. They're just absolute crap. They're like the Coldplay version of folk-rock that spawned other lame acts like the Lumineers and the Civil Wars (yeah, those fuckers sucks too). I hate this new folk-pop trend shit.
    Tell us how you really feel.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I was tempted to check this out when it came around here...it wasn't too expensive and there were actually a number of bands I like playing. I absolutely cannot stand Mumford & Sons, though.
    Yeah it's the whole experience that drew me. 3 night of camping and 2 nights of music in a remote town.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    yeah, I hate this band, but the music video for "Hopeless Wanderer" is amazing.

It's like they hired a bunch of comedians to make fun of them for all the right reasons. I still think they're terrible, and I don't like them any better because they're willing to make a video which basically boils down to them parodying their schtick... but goddamn this is amazing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Eh. I don't know, for me they haven't quite got to Coldplay's level of boring crap. They're not the most amazing band, or interesting, or creative, or engaging... but I still like their music. It's likeable. I think people rip into them for the fact that they seem to have this air of arrogance and looking twee, plus the fact they must be everywhere in mainstream media. I got into their first album before they got to Glastonbury levels, and I've avoided their oversaturation in a way. I guess I'm lucky.
    It's just a source of music that you can listen to and enjoy without really needing to engage, and I guess that's okay sometimes.
    /opinion

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Eh. I don't know, for me they haven't quite got to Coldplay's level of boring crap. They're not the most amazing band, or interesting, or creative, or engaging... but I still like their music. It's likeable. I think people rip into them for the fact that they seem to have this air of arrogance and looking twee, plus the fact they must be everywhere in mainstream media.

It's fine if you like it, but I'd say this reviewer is coming closer to pinpointing what I hate so much about the band

And I'd actually say they're very much on the same page as Coldplay-level crap for me, if not more derivative and disingenuous with their precious brand of bullshit... but sure, they're not as bad as the bands that followed after them (like Of Monsters and Men or The fucking Lumineers).

What is this twee "Pogues without balls where we all occasionally yell 'hey!' and dress like we're hipster Quakers" genre called anyway?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yeah they are pretty bad. That video is the first time I actually listened to them. Heard the band name a bunch of times but thought it sounded like some moving companies name. Or an auto garage. But the music is just...wow...bad. IMHO.

Sorry if im offending anyone. I know we all have our taste in music. This just isnt mine. And i enjoy some folk, but this is something else entirely.

^^Whoever said hipster is right on the mark.
    Last edited by EndlessLoveless; 08-12-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: hipster comment

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Oh by the way, which one's Mumford?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    the pink one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    My god that's a terrible piece of journalism...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Spoon solo!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It was an insane this weekend in Simcoe! Shit Show!!!
    A lot of great music too!

I believe this was the biggest ever GOTR Stopover too. 35,000+
    Last edited by ILoveFestivals; 08-29-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm working security at a Mumford mini festival thingy tomorrow. lols I need money.