Page 30 of 64 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Ministry

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Full Metal jacket? When I hear that "ahhhh" part, I thought it was "I tried".

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Pretty spot-on! Where did you get the "hep, hep, hep, hep" sample from? There is a good one in the beginning of The Exorcist III!
    Thanks. I don't remember where I found that specific sample (I want to say that it was also in "Apocalypse Now"), but here's this one: Go to 1:55.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I want to do a cover of N.W.O. and I STILL can't figure out what the scream in the chorus is. Is it just Al saying "aaaahhh"? Is he actually saying something (it sounds like "aaaah strong")? Is it sampled from a movie? The Prongs samples page doesn't have an info on this.
    It always sounded like "OOOOOOUTSIIIIIDE" to me. *shrug*

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I just got confirmation from my local store that they ordered the Ministry RSD release for me
    Same here, I'm super stoked!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    There isn't a single record store here that has any copies of the Trax Box. I am severely depressed about it. Hopefully it's up for download or someone is kind enough to put it up for a free download sometime tomorrow or so. I'm dying to hear some of these unreleased tracks. Good luck tomorrow guys!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Ministry

So I've listened to the early ministry tracks and the live songs have banter from Al and he sounds really happy. I'm still convinced that he hates that era only so he doesn't lose fans from his current fan base

Oh and the TR mix is different from the one that has been floating around. I think it's been TR's vocals all along as this one doesn't have any distortion on them.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got a copy of this on Record Store Day. I still haven't gotten over the excitement. I have to say, this is by far Ministry's best material, IMO.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

UNF. I gotta see if I can track one of these down.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

UNF. I gotta see if I can track one of these down.

You can buy the box set from Cleopatra's official site. Only 33 left right now. They seem to be going decently fast, so I'd hurry up and get one if I were you. I can't afford it right now after pre-ordering a bunch of toys or else I would hop on this set.

http://cleorecs.com/store/shop/minis...ds-lp-booklet/

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Warning, there seems to be a manufacturing error on one of the discs. http://www.prongs.org/minfiles/forum...=117618#117618

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Disc one has an error with the track "He's Angry". If you bought the set, contact Cleopatra Records and they will issue a replacement disc.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Since there is no Coal Chamber thread, I'm leaving this here.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ^Thumbs up for the collaboration, thumbs down for the song.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesiswontdie View Post

I can't afford it right now after pre-ordering a bunch of toys or else I would hop on this set.
    Hilariously, this is the exact same scenario I find myself in. Fucking Transformers addiction.

The bottom line though, as much as I want this, I can't justify it to myself. Well over 3/4 of the material here's in circulation already (Early Trax/the recent Twelve Inch Singles reissue, and IIRC those Revco CDs are just the same ones from the last round of reissues, even), and I don't even own a turntable so that LP is useless to me.

Moreover, Cleopatra have a tendency to farm their assets. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new stuff here come out again in a different format in a year's time.

I'll wait for the drip, and once it does I'll compile that Ministry: 1980-1985 compilation that for now exists only in my mind's eye.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    ^Thumbs up for the collaboration, thumbs down for the song.
    Could have been a lot better, that's for sure. Al's part was small, but overall not bad.
    Dez writes lyrics like he's still 16 years old, lol. His lyrics haven't improved in 2 decades. (As far as Coal Chamber goes anyway. Didn't follow Devildriver much so can't really speak for them).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    The bottom line though, as much as I want this, I can't justify it to myself. Well over 3/4 of the material here's in circulation already (Early Trax/the recent Twelve Inch Singles reissue, and IIRC those Revco CDs are just the same ones from the last round of reissues, even), and I don't even own a turntable so that LP is useless to me.

Moreover, Cleopatra have a tendency to farm their assets. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new stuff here come out again in a different format in a year's time.

I'll wait for the drip, and once it does I'll compile that Ministry: 1980-1985 compilation that for now exists only in my mind's eye.
    I hope they do release a compilation of just the unreleased tracks, that would be a smart move. I went ahead and picked up the set. I never owned the live Revco album and my original copy of Side Trax is the crappy mono version. My previous copy of Beers Steers and Queers is also the original, so having all the remixes and B-sides added is a plus. The vinyl is awesome and so is the book.

But you are right...I have no doubt Cleo will milk this stuff. I would have held off on buying the Twelve Inch Singles re-issue if I knew this set was right around the corner.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

pfff HAHAHAHAHAHA

That album`s good though

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I think it's just With Sympathy that he doesn't like. Someone over at Prongs went to the show and asked him to release more early stuff. Al said the tracks that aren't on With Sympathy are pretty good.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Pretty mind-blowing that he`s stepping up and owning some of his early work. I like WS for what it is, but it`s true that if there`d been a full album that contained the likes of Wait, Overkill, He`s Angry and I`m Falling, it`d kick WS`s ass to here and back.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    His main gripe about WS is mostly about the label having him make the album they wanted him to make. Thing is, it's not too different from the stuff he was doing at that time. I dunno... I like WS.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    If you compare the WS demos to the finished version, there does seem to be a wee bit less overall pop influence present, no background singers at some points. I can see how they might have foisted elements on him to add to it that made him uncomfortable.

But then you've got stuff like the Work For Love demo with the goofy "You ain't got what it takes' "But I'm willing to woooooooooooooooorrrrk!" exchange, which is silly and kind of great. Who knows.

So yeah, drippy drip drip. After a few listens, I'm rather glad I didn't shell out the 200 for this, but if they did an early-Ministry only compilation for like a hundred, I'd hop on that. It's pretty crazy how suddenly we've got no less than 2 versions of Same Old Madness on disc to enjoy where a short time ago there were none.

For the life of me I cannot figure out whether he re-recorded vocals for 'I'll do anything for you'. Seems likely.

Standouts for me are the demos of The Game Is Over, Let's Be Happy and Wait. It's a godsend that songs basically came out mostly formed from this period, I can barely even think of them as demos at all.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 04-26-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    So I'm going to be seeing Ministry live for the second time tomorrow, and I'm thankful that it's going to be at Irving Plaza. It'll also be the second time I'll be at Irving Plaza, as I went there for the first time to see my first Killing Joke concert.

I guess I might have to assume that the entire set-list will mostly be songs from Relapse and From Beer to Eternity with several songs from the Bush trilogy thrown in there, right?

I know it would most likely never happen, and by most likely, I mean like 99.9% as I'm very well aware of the odds, but I wish there would be songs from Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon in those set-lists. And if he can reach back for Thieves, So What and Psalm 69, I don't see why performing The Land of Rape and Honey, Stigmata and Breathe should be a problem either, even though I still understand why Al prefers things that way. It's not that I have a problem with the later albums either, as none of them prevented me from sticking with Ministry, but I can still see and agree with the fans that would want to hear more songs from different albums.

And with the music he's made since 1981, I've always seen it as a lost opportunity to play around (As in trolling, but in a good way.) with his audience of all eras. Walk in the Park was one of the songs I had mind.

With all that said, I'm definitely psyched. If you see somebody with an ETS T-shirt and a Nine Inch Nails cap from the NIN/JA tour, that's me. I changed my mind, as I thought that I'd at least wear the ETS shirt once to any concert of any band that's had any association/connection with NIN before.

Apologies in advance if I don't have much to say though. I suppose it's quite the pleasure for me, since I'm not really that much of a concert person as mentioned in the past. Anyway, even if it could go without saying for the likes of me, I just hope to have a very great time.

I still wish it was on a Friday night or a Saturday night though. Those nights just feel more right for concerts, but that's just me.

On the brighter side, at least it's during spring. This is also just me, but rock concerts are so much better in spring and summer. I'm not so fond of going outside in the autumn and winter anyway, especially for something as late as a rock concert. It's even much better knowing that Irving Plaza is one of the venues closest to my house.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-05-2015 at 06:50 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    An updated version of America would seem like it would fit in very nicely next to any of the Bush trilogy songs as well. It easily became one of my favorite Ministry songs before With Sympathy came out. I just thought I'd point that out too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    And if he can reach back for Thieves, So What and Psalm 69, I don't see why performing The Land of Rape and Honey, Stigmata and Breathe should be a problem either,
    I would be happy with literally those songs and nothing else

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    An ideal set-list for me, excluding rarities, B-sides and anything that came out before The Land of Rape and Honey would be a decent combination of In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up and Sphinctour, with some hints of Dark Side of the Spoon. With that being said, I actually feel quite the same way as you do too.

I just love the way Breathe builds up here. It's one of my most favorite parts of In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up. I just love the drumming. I think PB4PB also known as "What used to be the Piss Army." called it, "DUN! DUN! D-D-DUN!", or something like that. I'd be so stoked if I ever actually caught it live.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-06-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I've watched that version so many times... I can't bear the studio one now

and the visuals of people in suits zombie walking to work, industrial plants etc... it's just so perfect

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    My ideal Ministry setlist would be a tad heavy on Twelve Inch Singles and Twitch material; and run up to HOTM. Something like this:

Animosity
    Bad Blood
    Dead Guy
    Worthless
    You Know What You Are
    Over The Shoulder
    All Day
    Same Old Madness
    The Game Is Over
    We Believe
    Burning Inside
    The Missing
    Thieves
    Stigmata
    Just One Fix

Encore:

Jesus Built My Hotrod
    Just Like You
    Revenge

Encore 2:

Every Day Is Halloween

While I know he'll never own up to WS itself, the fact that these days he's willing to dig up unheard tracks from the pre-Twitch era gives me a little hope. Maybe we'll get a retrospective tour one day.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I was certainly surprised to hear no songs from Relapse this time around. I'd also like to admit that Hail to His Majesty (Peasants) and PermaWar sounded much better than I expected it to. And as expected, there were a lot of songs from Houses of the Molé, Rio Grande Blood and The Last Sucker. As of now, I actually think I like Houses of the Molé and Rio Grande Blood more than The Last Sucker as far as whole albums go. However, I still loved hearing Watch Yourself and Life Is Good live.

This is just me, but Al certainly still knows how to put on one hell of a show, in spite of me still wanting some songs being traded for others, since it was very identical to my first Ministry concert give or take a few songs. I was definitely satisfied nonetheless. Hearing Waiting, Worthless, Rio Grande Blood, Señor Peligro and LiesLiesLies actually threw me back to how much I loved those albums when I first listened to them. LiesLiesLies also sounded so much better live too. I also still would've loved to hear Worm though. And speaking of sounding better, I think Irving Plaza also sounded much better than the Best Buy Theater did, or so it seems.

I also noticed that there was a visual on the entire Ministry discography. I could've sworn that it just started with Twitch. I suppose it still proves that he's still okay with his synthpop and new wave days. Like many other fans of earlier Ministry though, I still have a feeling that he might be pretending to hate With Sympathy. It's hard to be completely convinced, since those videos on YouTube reveals that he actually enjoyed performing songs like Effigy (I'm Not An), Revenge, I Wanted to Tell Her and Work For Love, so I still don't really buy Al's story about hating With Sympathy to the extent of calling it an abortion of an album.

And speaking of trolling earlier, I suppose that I felt a bit trolled when I heard a few seconds of what sounded like Lava only to be switched for Khyber Pass, which was then finished off with Enjoy the Quiet. I was thinking and even saying that I hoped it was a Lava, and that I was glad that a Filth Pig song managed to make its way into the set-list. However, I just ended up saying damn it once Khyber Pass started playing. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but would've loved Lava a lot more. I actually would've preferred Lava followed by Grace. I also still wondered why Al won't perform Breathe either, and surprisingly, there was also no Psalm 69 to be heard.

It's kind of funny as there were also drinks named Stigmata and Psalm 69 at the bar too. Oh, and I know that I'm very late on mentioning this, as I'm sure lots of people have already called this, but I think Al just makes farewell tours since they attract far more attention and ticket sales as opposed to him just simply stating that he's on an indefinite hiatus. He did however, admit that he was concealing his ailments on his first attempt at "retirement" though.

With that being said, it still makes me wonder just how long his next "farewell" will be. I'll also admit that I was fooled the first time back in 2008, but not anymore.

Oh yeah, and hearing the Pigface version of Suck during the intermission was pretty cool too. On my first Ministry concert, Mr Self Destruct was played instead.

Oh, and even better, as somebody got to upload the entire performance.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-30-2015 at 11:30 AM. Reason: I forgot that the version of Suck was the Pigface version. I just didn't hear it a while.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    As mentioned, I just found this a few hours ago, and it also had one more video to continue it.

-Rather than bump this thread again, I just thought of posting this here since I've accidentally omitted this part of my attendance.-

I also forgot to mention that I saw Sin Quirin walk next to the line I was standing on. He seemed to know a couple that had VIP passes at the time, which immediately granted them access to visit the rest of the band ASAP. I'm sure they had a blast. I definitely didn't say anything though, but that really was the closest I've ever been to a rock star of any kind. It's not like he was randomly chatting with the rest of the line, so I didn't say anything, and even if he did, I'd hardly have anything to say, aside from perhaps giving him props for his work on The Last Sucker to From Beer to Eternity. I've always had struggles and difficulties when it came to making conversation with new people, or people I don't know well anyway.

And well, he also seemed to have the right idea as he was taking sips of Dunkin' Donuts coffee. A caffeine fix is always great before a rock concert, as I also had Mountain Dew and Mike and Ike that day.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-12-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Sin Quirin walked near me. ^_^