Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NIN / Pink Floyd tribute album on Kickstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

NIN / Pink Floyd tribute album on Kickstarter

Hey, I'm working on a tribute album to NIN and Pink Floyd. You can learn more about it at reznorwaters.com, or on the Kickstarter.
    I'd appreciate any help you can give me, in the way of donations, suggestions, or even just spreading the word to anyone else who might be interested and telling them to do the same.
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it's a really interesting concept and the sample you have up sounds fantastic, but $35,000 is pretty steep for this kind of project.

i would recommend indie-go-go, which allows you to keep whatever money you raise, even if you don't meet your final goal (whereas kickstarter only gives you the money if you meet and/or exceed your goal).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    $35k is very steep, plus ... it's a free album and you'll charge $25 for a preorder? And $50 for a CD? I'd love to back, and would be VERY interested if your prices weren't so crazy.

And maybe, as a tier suggestion, letting a backer choose a track to do?

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Have you ever recorded music before?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Just re-read this, and you don't actually have a vocalist yet? Also you could save a fortune by using synths instead of real instruments in a $59 an hour studio

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I was totally on board when I saw your reddit post a few months back but the whole thing seems really sketchy now. First of all, $35,000 is a fucking obscene amount of money for an album of cover songs that you're going to release for free. The fact that you need a new computer, studio monitors, instruments, and session musicians all seem to suggest you've never actually recorded music before. You want to record at a $59/hour studio and then mix & master it yourself? Buy a few good microphones, record it yourself, and send it to a professional to master. It's been almost 3 months just to make the next demo track? How long is this album going to take once it's funded?

To be completely honest, I think you're in way over your head, and I'm actually somewhat unsure that you even know what you're doing. Do you have any other recorded music you could show us? Because as it looks now, you're just a guy with Pro Tools and too much spare time.

I'm sorry for being so negative, and I would love for you to prove me wrong, but it's just not adding up right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i was in till you said "rock on" ahah

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    I just watched the video. It's great that you spent two years listening almost exclusively to Nine Inch Nails, and apparently buying equipment to recreate the nine inch nails sound. (Never mind that changes from album to album)

When you said that, I thought of this picture.

But you showed me this picture

You have no business asking for thirty-five grand. I admire your drive, but there's no way that two years and a copy of Pro-Tools is going to get you where you want to go, and there's no way you're going to finish the album, even if you got funded. You have years of learning before you finish any album at all. I'm don't want to comment on the music, because it's apparent you are still learning. Keep practicing, keep making songs, but this guy did an INCREDIBLE recreation of Pretty Hate Machine after raising only a tenth of what you are asking - and I'm telling you that there's no way you're going to make an album that sounds better than that given your current experience.

Sorry if this is bumming you out, but we're doing you a favor. Keep practicing and recording things, come back in a decade. You'll be like "Ha, I know I really liked Pink Floyd and Nine Inch Nails, but thank god that Kickstarter didn't get funded."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks, guys. I needed this. The Kickstarter has been pulled. I'm going to develop the album as much as I can with the resources I have, try to acquire what I can on my own, and come back when I have more to show for myself.

To ibanez33, I'm sorry to have shaken your faith in me. I hope to regain your confidence when I resurface.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reznorwaters View Post
    Thanks, guys. I needed this. The Kickstarter has been pulled. I'm going to develop the album as much as I can with the resources I have, try to acquire what I can on my own, and come back when I have more to show for myself.

To ibanez33, I'm sorry to have shaken your faith in me. I hope to regain your confidence when I resurface.
    A good first step might be to actually try to do, as accurately as possible, a cover of a nine inch nails song - instrumentally, at first, since you don't have a singer. That would be a great way to study, and beef up on the experience you'd need to pull something like this off.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @reznorwaters Keep us posted on it all though, it sounds like a great idea regardless.

And protip: avoid Another Brick In The Wall pt2, pt3 is far more NIN-worthy :P