Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42
Results 1,231 to 1,235 of 1235

Thread: What are you reading?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Stay the Course: The Story of Vanguard and the Index Revolution by Jack Bogle

I've read a few of his books and enjoy watching his interviews on YouTube. I knew nothing about investing until a few years ago, when I randomly stumbled upon one of his videos on YouTube. I still have much to learn, but enjoy educating myself.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I am 25% of the way through. I am positive I am missing something that has people so upset he hasn't finished the series. I mean I see parts where it's like "oh this guy (Kvothe) is a bad-ass" but they are so far few and far between. He talks about his training but then spends a not-insignificant portion of the book so far as a street rat. uh, ok.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I am on the second book of the series now and I'm no further in understanding the clamor; I am however understanding why he cannot find a way to finish the series.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Just started reading The Nineties, by Chuck Klosterman.

From the inner sleeve notes: A wise and funny reckoning with the decade that gave us slacker/grunge irony about the sin of trying too hard during the greatest shift in human consciousness of any decade in American history

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Finished the book this weekend and the last few short chapters all introduced so many things. Like, the main thrust of the story is interesting enough and now you have extra antagonists? And you color characters in whole new lights that weren't present at all for the rest of the story? Hell, what about the short chapter where "hey I've been telling you stories with minute details but suddenly I'm going to paraphrase several months of sea travel and the subsequent urchin life because it's not important".

Oh and the made-up phrases for things like the fighting moves? Man I do not care because you don't describe them so all of that was just noise that my eyes skimmed over. Same for the names of sex positions (and there are a lot of them!! wtf happened in the middle of this book, wow)

I dunno what to really think. Like I said about Beetlejuice Beetlejuice I haven't really liked any media in months and it's starting to grate on me. I don't like not liking things and I sound like a whiny fuck, even to myself, just finding faults everywhere I look. Hell, there are a lot of bits that I really liked but then it kept bringing me down with inanities.