Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Govan Guthrie and Marco Minnemann will not be playing the US shows, their replacements will be announced shortly.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Govan Guthrie and Marco Minnemann will not be playing the US shows, their replacements will be announced shortly.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO why?!?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was very disappointed to see this. Granted, Steven's touring band has been an amalgam of interchangeable parts over the past four years. Still, you don't just replace musicians like Guthrie or Minnemann on a whim. At least not unless you have easy access to musicians like Brian Carroll or Gavin Harrison. I'm sure he'll find adequate replacements in time. He always seems to find great musicians or, rather, they find him.

Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO why?!?
    Looks as though Guthrie and Minnemann are planning on touring their own band The Aristrocrats this summer while Steven Wilson is touring North America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is sad to hear, but I have no doubts that Steven will find suitable replacements. I also wonder if Ninet Tayeb will be joining them on tour, since she contributed lots of vocals to the new album. It would be awkward in my opinion if they just played backing tracks of her singing during the concerts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wasn't minneman out of the last US tour already?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    Wasn't minneman out of the last US tour already?
    He was for part of it; Wackerman had to leave early on the tour to deal with some personal issues and Minneman took his place for a few shows.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NukaColada View Post
    This is sad to hear, but I have no doubts that Steven will find suitable replacements. I also wonder if Ninet Tayeb will be joining them on tour, since she contributed lots of vocals to the new album. It would be awkward in my opinion if they just played backing tracks of her singing during the concerts.
    I'd hope so. You're correct. That would be awkward. I hope Steven can get her to tour with him. Steven also sang a duet "Significant Other" on Insurgentes with a female vocalist. Perhaps he will revisit that track in the shows.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Gavin said he won't be joining Steven on his next tour.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...postcount=6334

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm guessing it'll be Chad Wackerman again. Speaking of Gavin, apparently he has a new solo album in the works which will be re-worked versions of Porcupine Tree songs. It was in the latest issue of Prog but I can't seem to find news of it anywhere else.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm guessing it'll be Chad Wackerman again. Speaking of Gavin, apparently he has a new solo album in the works which will be re-worked versions of Porcupine Tree songs. It was in the latest issue of Prog but I can't seem to find news of it anywhere else.
    He has said on many occasion that he's working on big band versions of Porcupine Tree songs. Like Futile on their Youtube channel. Last time I heard, he said that it's a very time consuming project and he doesn't know when it will be out.
    If that's what you mean or perhaps you're thinking of something else entirely?

Here's the Big Band Futile:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just ordered my tickets for the Harrisburg show. Third row, center stage. I haven't been this excited about a concert in a long time. The news of Gavin's new album is interesting; I always thought the big band version of Futile was really neat.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm writing this and looking at it at the same time as I believe it's not online anywhere.

Gavin Harrison is scheduled to release a new album packed with reinterpretations of Porcupine Tree songs. Cheating The Polygraph is out through Kscope on Feburary 2 and includes songs such as the title track, "What Happens Now" and "Heartattack In A Layby".

The project has been recorded over a five-year period and features contributions from Laurence Cottle (Bill Bruford's Earthworks/Alan Parsons Project), Dave Stewart (Hatfield And The North) and Gary Sanctuary (touring member of Gentle Giant offshoot, Three Friends).

Harrison has been one of Britain's most sought-after session musicians for the last 20 years. He joined Porcupine Tree in 2002 and has also played with King Crimson and Renaissance.

Cheating The polygraph comes as Porcupine Tree frontman Steven Wilson reveals he's not ruling out the possibility of making more records with his bandmates. Keep up to date with Gavin Harrison's latest ventures at www.gavharrison.com.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm writing this and looking at it at the same time as I believe it's not online anywhere.
    Thanks!
    This does seem like the big band project he has. Laurence Cottle also arranged the big band version of "Futile". Strange that it's out so soon and they haven't really announced anything. I would've expected a pre-order to go up at least a month in advance. In any case, I'll order this one along with Steven's latest.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I suspect the date will change. That seems too early, especially with no pre-order up.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    And now it's coming out early in April.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I’m very happy to announce that I will be starting the Americas leg of the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour with a show in Chile at the Teatro Cariola in Santiago on 8th May.

This will also be the first show with a changed band line up, as Guthrie Govan (Official) and Marco Minnemann will be departing at the end of the European tour to fulfill touring commitments with their own band The Aristocrats. These 2 guys were always going to be a very hard act to follow, but I’m very pleased to introduce two world class British musicians in the shape of Dave Kilminster on guitar, and Craig Blundell on drums.

Many of you will know that for the last 8 years Dave has been the principal guitar player in the Roger Waters band (if you saw The Wall show you will have seen him on top of the Wall playing the solo at the end of Comfortably Numb!), while Craig has primarily concentrated on being an international clinician for Premier Drum Co, Roland U.S. and and Paiste. Both are extraordinarily gifted musicians and I’m honoured to welcome them to the SW band.
    Don't know anything about the drummer, but Kilminster is as perfect a replacement for Govan as anyone. I saw him live with Waters in 2006 and his playing was pretty sublime.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-19-2015 at 03:08 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Don't know anything about the drummer, but Kilminster is as perfect a replacement for Govan as anyone. I saw him live with Waters in 2006 and his playing was pretty sublime.
    Blundell's no scrub. He actually reminds me of Gavin a little, which is another way of saying he's an absurdly good player. Gavin's polycraziness and experimental rhythmic patterns make him a drum God. But this guy is damn fast and crazy good. Really, it's apples 'n oranges when you're dealing with such a high level of proficiency on an instrument. I'm just glad Wilson got a replacement that can keep up the level of talent of his previous live drummers while adding his own twist to it. After all, improvising the music with one's own talent and style is what makes these live shows become epic. From the looks of these videos, I don't think he'll have any trouble handling Wilson's percussion needs.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Annnnnnd here's the rest of that interview in two parts:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    This guy is so eloquent but at the same time so casual, i could hear him talk for hours...

At times he says stuff i relate to so much i get scared, i guess that's why admire him so much; i'll say something a bit cliché: i can't wait for the album...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, those are so great! I think I only recognised about half of them.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    The new album is pretty great! I'm not a huge Wilson buff but I like it a bit more than the last one! Especially the first three songs make a great sequence for me! 3 years older is a fantastic and beautiful song.

I'm very psyched to finally get that interview going next week. Will be great talking to him.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    The new album is pretty great! I'm not a huge Wilson buff but I like it a bit more than the last one! Especially the first three songs make a great sequence for me! 3 years older is a fantastic and beautiful song.

I'm very psyched to finally get that interview going next week. Will be great talking to him.
    Based on the studio clips alone, I figured this was going to be brilliant. I've not been able to keep my hopes in check. I'm glad you like it. I assume you got to preview it. Do you work for a magazine or broadcast media?

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I work for a magazine part-time and got to have the interview with him and a preview beforehand since we want to present some of the shows on his tour. The album is definitely worth the wait. As I said, I used to listen to Porcupine Tree quite regularly back in the day and enjoyed his solo outings so far. I wouldn't call me a fan but I'm sure this is pretty much what you want a record from him to sound like.

I also like the idea that this is based around this tragedy of a young english woman who was found dead 3 years later in her appartment. It gives that album once again a certain kind of narrative or at least a path for ideas. It's still quite uplifting in parts and generally a quality listen if you're into this kind of sound. I don't mean to brag that I had the chance to listen to it earlier, but just wanted to reassure some of you that this is a neat album coming up!
    Last edited by dlb; 01-27-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    A Mexico date at last, preparing myself to watch him for the 6th time! (counting the times i saw Steven with Porcupine Tree...)

Cool tour poster too!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-23-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Lol, that cover is uncomfortably too close.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)