Page 36 of 46 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1372

Thread: Steven Wilson catch-all thread (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Blackfield, Bass Communion)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

A post shared by on

Did not expect a track list and first single so soon. From the snipped I’ve heard of Personal Shopper this is gonna be *dark*

(Which is exactly how you want the Steven Wilson music to sound, he said to the NIN board)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    At this point im sure this guy can't release a bad album, so hyped!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    At this point im sure this guy can't release a bad album, so hyped!
    i mean, i wouldn't call To The Bone bad, but it's certainly the least enjoyable thing (to me) that he's released in his solo career.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i mean, i wouldn't call To The Bone bad, but it's certainly the least enjoyable thing (to me) that he's released in his solo career.
    I liked "To the Bone" a lot!, i guess is my "least favorite", but even that album has some awesome tracks and i do consider it a homerun

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Here’s the tracks with times.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    somehow i knew "personal shopper" was going to be the long one

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Just listened to "Personal Shopper". It's actually got more of the Love You To Bits vibe going for it, with some surprising elements to it. Including what I think might be quite a mind-blowing guest appearance.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-12-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    TBH i can't get through that, was hoping for a return to the sound of Insurgentes. SW does dark better than most and i thought this subject matter would bring about that. Oh well.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    This is a fucking disaster.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    just listened to "Personal Shopper". It's actually got more of the Love You To Bits vibe going for it, with some surprising elements to it. Including what I think might be quite a mind-blowing guest appearance.
    who's the guest? i can't tell.

also, y'all who are hating are being way harsh. this (to me) is better than anything on To The Bone, and while it's dancey, it's also pretty dark! i love when songs can pull off that balance. and early PT had plenty of elements that are similar to this song, so i'm surprised at the distaste for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: also, the fake products on the merch page are hilarious

SPECIALLY CAPTURED ANTARCTIC AIR, THE PUREST IN THE WORLD. STRICTLY LIMITED TO 100 DOSES. $640.99
    SOLD OUT.
    Last edited by eversonpoe; 03-12-2020 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I actually bought the CD this time around and I’m glad I did because the download was just mp3

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    who's the guest? i can't tell.

also, y'all who are hating are being way harsh. this (to me) is better than anything on To The Bone, and while it's dancey, it's also pretty dark! i love when songs can pull off that balance. and early PT had plenty of elements that are similar to this song, so i'm surprised at the distaste for it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: also, the fake products on the merch page are hilarious

SPECIALLY CAPTURED ANTARCTIC AIR, THE PUREST IN THE WORLD. STRICTLY LIMITED TO 100 DOSES. $640.99
    SOLD OUT.
    He is royalty.

Check the credits in the YouTube description of the audio track.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    He is royalty.
    Untrue. 'Knights' aren't even considered nobility. These days the title is more or less meaningless.

This track is not my thing at all. Sounds like the Bee Gees or ABBA. Lyrics are pretty cringey.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tricil View Post
    He is royalty.

Check the credits in the YouTube description of the audio track.
    oh holy shit i didn't even see that. well that's pretty cool!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Is it me? or the new track has a NIN-vibe?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hear it too

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    If the rest of the album is like this, it might not be for me. Sounds very familiar to the new No-Man (which I'm already not a fan of) but taken way farther, maybe a little too much for me. My reaction to hearing the new song: baffled.

Completely unrecognizable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In the instrumentation, yeah for sure. The female vocals kind of remind me of KMFDM. I like this track even though I'm not a fan of this guy, well done.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I mean, I'm digging the shit out of this. The chorus and vocal harmonies are badass. Wilson has been all over the place but this new project seems like it is going a very heavy electronica atmospheric dance beat direction. I mean he's done about everything that can be done. This feels new and refreshing, weirdly upbeat yet still angsty as fuck.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm a fan of the No-Man album, but not sure this will go down as easy. If this is the longest song on the record I can't imagine the rest of the material manages to be as adventurous or spacious enough, like even TTB managed to be at it's best moments. He's entering an interesting phase in his career, seemingly wanting to do something more and more modern-sounding. Like 10 years ago I joked to myself that the most interesting album he'll ever make is one I don't like, fully thinking he could do no wrong by me. Now it's less funny.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A lot of people seem to be offput by the theme of bashing consumerism and our materialistic nature. Yet I think SW is actually attacking his very own personal tendencies towards those things. I took it as what wealth and success can do to a person who also has obsessive tendencies of collecting, valuing, treasuring and devaluing shit. He lives and has earned a comfortable lifestyle. Much more he is probably trying to maintain health and appearance in the depraved world of having a fanbase and some celebrity. Of course, he is friends with a lot of mega celebrities and musicians, some of whom I am sure he is also a fan. He just knows them personally and gets to watch their lives unfold from a much closer perspective. I don't know, the shit just clicked. What is the purpose of all this shit in our lives and how we use it to fill the holes left behind from human experiences. I like the concept from his own personal perspective even if it's not a new or revolutionary concept.
    Last edited by pulse; 03-13-2020 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If we ever get to see concerts again, it will be fun watching Nick Beggs absolutely annihilate everyone with Personal Shopper's bassline for 10 minutes.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    A lot of people seem to be offput by the theme of bashing consumerism and our materialistic nature. Yet I think SW is actually attacking his very own personal tendencies towards those things. I took it as what wealth and success can do to a person who also has obsessive tendencies of collecting, valuing, treasuring and devaluing shit. He lives and has earned a comfortable lifestyle. Much more he is probably trying to maintain health and appearance in the depraved world of having a fanbase and some celebrity. Of course, he is friends with a lot of mega celebrities and musicians, some of whom I am sure he is also a fan. He just knows them personally and gets to watch their lives unfold from a much closer perspective. I don't know, the shit just clicked. What is the purpose of all this shit in our lives and how we use it to fill the holes left behind from human experiences. I like the concept from his own personal perspective even if it's not a new or revolutionary concept.
    I'm not offended by the message, it's just tremendously unsubtle. The lyrics are way too obvious, way too in-the-face. It's the sledgehammer approach, and it's cringey as fuck.

The whole concept seems oddly insincere in its hypocrisy. With this kind of anti-capitalist message, all content associated with this release should be free. Why write as song so deeply criticising consumer culture and then sell it back to that culture? Why wall an exclusive extended (19 minute) version of the song behind an expensive deluxe edition? Seems confused and out of touch, or at the very least, profoundly cynical in both message and presentation.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I'm not offended by the message, it's just tremendously unsubtle. The lyrics are way too obvious, way too in-the-face. It's the sledgehammer approach, and it's cringey as fuck.

The whole concept seems oddly insincere in its hypocrisy. With this kind of anti-capitalist message, all content associated with this release should be free. Why write as song so deeply criticising consumer culture and then sell it back to that culture? Why wall an exclusive extended (19 minute) version of the song behind an expensive deluxe edition? Seems confused and out of touch, or at the very least, profoundly cynical in both message and presentation.
    Why would he need to be subtle about the realization of all the useless shit he has acquired with money attained from a career in art? Much of that art as observations of problems that plague our modern life. Of course the song is ripe with cynicism. I can easily see artists with at least some integrity struggling with the hypocrisy you so keenly pointed out. Blatant in your face consumerism in visual marketing is everywhere. It gets shoved in your face just like he is shoving this fact of life in your face via this song. Yes, marketing and consumerism is how people overwhelming make their living or build an empire of wealth. The message is as dirty as the groove. Self analysis and comparisons to others isn't always pleasant and admitting those tendencies he shares with the same people who support his career. Perhaps he just wants to point out that some of what he felt validated his life turns out to be way more bullshit than he once thought and that realization is crushing. So perhaps he felt like writing a song about the whole shitshow we all live within because it bothers him. Either way, this is all how I interpreted the context of the lyrics and the tone of the song.

Edit: Hell, just look at the nature of this clip he just Tweeted for the album:

https://twitter.com/StevenWilsonHQ/s...899579904?s=19
    Last edited by pulse; 03-13-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Oh sweet it’s on amazon now

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Song might be a grower. Not so bad the second time around.

I find the subject manner funny tbh. He's not wrong either. I laughed a little when I heard "180 gram vinyl".

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    It's about what I expected in every department except length. Interested in what the 19 minute version will offer – hopefully not just the Elton John section for an extra 10 minutes...

Not buying this, though. Didn't buy TTB either. Bought the hell out of Love You to Bits. SW clearly makes way better art when someone else can tell him to simmer down (or just tell him not to be so cringe). The solo career has been an interesting array of mistakes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    It's about what I expected in every department except length. Interested in what the 19 minute version will offer – hopefully not just the Elton John section for an extra 10 minutes...

Not buying this, though. Didn't buy TTB either. Bought the hell out of Love You to Bits. SW clearly makes way better art when someone else can tell him to simmer down (or just tell him not to be so cringe). The solo career has been an interesting array of mistakes.
    I can agree with this. I think the biggest problem in Steven's career is losing Richard Barbieri. Despite their differences, they made incredible music together because they reined eachother in, fleshed it out and made magic happen. Perhaps Steven did most if not all of the writing but Barbieri's presence grounded him. Steve has still made some incredible albums during his solo career but there is no doubt the 2000s was his greatest era of music. I think we all know why.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Porcupine Tree now has a bandcamp page, with some rare live material for download

Of particular interest is Pure Narcotic - Acoustic Session 2012, the final studio recordings.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 03-19-2020 at 05:49 PM.