Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I recently went back and played a few of the side missions in Ground Zeroes. I found that I had almost overlooked many of the features. You can play things in such different ways, run and gun, stealth, steal a car-load-it-with-sleeping-guards-drive-it-off-a-cliff. Its really good. I can see that a lot of people took issue with the final cutscenes, and I'll be honest that I don't know the characters well enough as I never finished Peace Walker, but I didn't have as much of a problem, it was more a sudden shift in tone that was jarring.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    What happened to stuffing dudes in lockers and what not? kinda missed that.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    What happened to stuffing dudes in lockers and what not? kinda missed that.
    Well to be fair the gameplay in Ground Zeroes and footage we've seen in Phantom Pain hasn't really shown any urban or indoors related environments. We might be able to still.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Well to be fair the gameplay in Ground Zeroes and footage we've seen in Phantom Pain hasn't really shown any urban or indoors related environments. We might be able to still.
    Ah true, it's just because well i did see one set of lockers somewhere and i kinda got that urge haha but i also realize now that we have the Fulton balloon thing that carried over from Peace Walker it might not even be necessary anymore... but still you gotta love having different kinds of options.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really hope Phantom Pain has some indoor stuff (I'm sure it has..) as it was a great shift in MGS3 when you moved indoors and the gameplay became a little more like MGS2. Not to say the open world stuff isn't good, but it made a great contrast in 3 (4 barely had any true indoor stealth sections now that I think about it).

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    GZ had some indoor stuff. I think lockers are coming back. You won't be able to fulton everyone, so you're going to have to hide them somewhere. I can't imagine GMP will be as plentiful as we saw in the gameplay demos.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ground Zeroes is the free PS4 PS Plus game this month. Now I just have to finally play Guns of the Patriots so I can play this one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Bowie, Joy Division, Kim Wilde, Hall & Oates, Billy Idol, A-Ha and Asia all confirmed to have songs appear in the Phantom Pain.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladdinsanity View Post
    Bowie, Joy Division, Kim Wilde, Hall & Oates, Billy Idol, A-Ha and Asia all confirmed to have songs appear in the Phantom Pain.
    Interesting... should be fun infiltrating to JD. Wonder which songs.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Apparently Phantom Pain might have microtransactions.
    http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/11/meta...otransactions/

If that's true...optional or not that's kind of disgusting.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Ground Zeroes is the free PS4 PS Plus game this month. Now I just have to finally play Guns of the Patriots so I can play this one.
    You're actually 100% okay to play GZ without playing MGS4, if you were curious. But you should, because MGS4 is siiiiiiiiick.

In other news, my PS3 got the YLOD the other day, so now I guess I'm in the market to buy PS4 - just in time for The Phantom Pain in all its next-gen glory.

Edit: Ick, microtransactions. Hopefully, if that's a thing, they won't be very intrusive in terms of screen-time and I can play through the game without noticing them much.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 06-11-2015 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    You're actually 100% okay to play GZ without playing MGS4, if you were curious. But you should, because MGS4 is siiiiiiiiick.
    Oh nice, I figured I wouldn't know what the hell was going on in GZ. I've had MGS4 since it was released but the time commitment has always kept me from playing it. I'll give GZ a whirl here soon and maybe that'll get me in the mood to get through MGS4, I think I only played a few hours of it originally.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Oh nice, I figured I wouldn't know what the hell was going on in GZ. I've had MGS4 since it was released but the time commitment has always kept me from playing it. I'll give GZ a whirl here soon and maybe that'll get me in the mood to get through MGS4, I think I only played a few hours of it originally.
    Yeah! GZ and TPP actually take place sometime between MGS3 and the original Metal Gear, I think. The order that they were released isn't really the chronological order of events in the MG universe. MGS4 was supposed to be "the end" of Solid Snake's story, and while Kojima did seem interested in making ANOTHER Metal Gear to CONTINUE Snake's story, that isn't gonna happen now. DDDDDD:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ha I had no idea. I thought GZ and TPP took place after MGS4. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah MGS V (both parts) are pretty much the sequel to the PSP game Peace Walker

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Fuck, how did I forget about Peace Walker??

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Fuck, how did I forget about Peace Walker??
    Because its a mediocre title?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Because its a mediocre title?
    Agreed, I never finished it. I'm kinda bummed that TPP seems like an expansion of the whole fulton recovery/mother base building concept that was introduced in Peace Walker. That was my least favorite part of the game and what kept me from staying interested enough to finish it.

That being said, this is still a Day 1 buy for me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Considering TPP is 200 times larger than GZ, I'd hardly consider it anything close to being an "expansion".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Considering TPP is 200 times larger than GZ, I'd hardly consider it anything close to being an "expansion".
    I am completely aware of the fact that TPP is going to be a huge game and GZ can't even really compare. I meant that TPP is expanding upon the fulton system/ mother base building that was introduced in Peace Walker. A system that I wasn't a fan of.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Different strokes I guess. I loved the Fulton in PW. I'm whatever about base management. But it's there. I like how you can just steal whatever by using fultons. They're way more limited comparer to PW though. When you run out of gmp, you're screwed. Unlike in PW, where if you ran out, you could always get more.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Peace Walker was amazing just in terms of being a character development arc for Big Boss and the best job Kojima could've possibly done to scale back on the ambitions of MGS4.

That being said, they should've found a way to make the two endings of Peace Walker into a single ending. Grinding for the "second" ending bottlenecked the story hard -- a really dumb move considering it had arguably the most important revelations in the game's entire story and is what the events of Ground Zeroes (and, by extension, the Phantom Pain) are completely contingent upon. They also should've originally released it as multiplat for PSP/PS3/XBox 360 to ensure that more people would've actually played it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Different strokes I guess. I loved the Fulton in PW. I'm whatever about base management. But it's there. I like how you can just steal whatever by using fultons. They're way more limited comparer to PW though. When you run out of gmp, you're screwed. Unlike in PW, where if you ran out, you could always get more.
    I agree. It's definitely not the best MGS game but it's no pushover either. It has the least amount of story in any MGS game but I loved the Fulton system. It felt great to avoid a shootout with enemies by pretty much abducting them with the recovery system. And on top of that, they would join your cause. I also like the Big Boss story arc more than Solid Snake as well. The side op missions were very fun too. I got a S+ in every side op. I'm glad the side ops are coming back in TPP.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm in the Peace Walker camp, too. I had a lot of fun playing it on the HD collection, and even though I accept that it's not the best Metal Gear game, it was still pretty enjoyable. I guess I just forget about it because it wasn't a numbered title, heh.

Anyway, just realized something. MGS1 was my first PS1 game, MGS2 was my first PS2 game, and MGS4 was my first PS3 game, Ground Zeros is my first PS4 game. Ain't that some shit? (Keep in mind, they're not all my FAVORITE games for each console, just the first.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Kojima's final (and his very best, IMO) trailer for the Metal Gear franchise.

It's just bittersweet and surreal to see the Kojima Productions emblem at the beginning without the actual name on the logo. Something tells me getting to license New Order (particularly a deep cut like "Elegia") for his trailer is probably a dream come true for Kojima.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    This game is going to be entirely bittersweet. I don't doubt it'll be amazing. But considering it's Kojima's last aka the last real metal gear game. I'm done with konami after this. So that also will dwell in the back of my mind as I play it. The whole thing with Kojima and his departure has slightly soured it. But, it's not something I'll pass on.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Amazingly excellent trailer. I enjoyed the monologue.

New Order too? Sweet stuff.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After wrestling with myself for 20 minutes I bought it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metal-ge...&skuId=4918011

Heads up if you want it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Reviews are starting to trickle in. 9 and 10s so far. No surprise there.