Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy (belated) Birthday to The Fragile

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Happy (belated) Birthday to The Fragile

I always used to bump The Fragile birthday thread on the old ETS on September 21. Damn me for slightly forgetting this year.

Anyway, happy birthday. Along with Stephen King.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Happy Birthday, Alfonso Ribeiro. Lest we not forget...

[IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Happy birthday Stephen King and The Fragile… already September 21 in some timezones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    My dude, you should have just started a new thread instead of resurrecting this old one from a banned member.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    wait...but...aren't...?

I don't know old lore well but I'm pretty sure they're the same person. unless that's the meta joke? Both are just as likely!

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    My dude, you should have just started a new thread instead of resurrecting this old one from a banned member.
    That was me. Might as well resurrect my old thread, lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That was me. Might as well resurrect my old thread, lol.
    My apologies, I guess I should have put two and two together. Please return to regularly scheduled programming.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    That’s awesome. Like an indoor garden. The Fragile truly was “organic”.

As well as orgasmic.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Just popping in to say Trent could have done a 25 year Fragile tour if he wanted.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    figured i'd play everything from the fragile era today, starting with the TDWWA single

and logged in just to say

still fucking love the TDWWA porter ricks remix 25 years later *shakes my booty* ����

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Rob Sheridan making a good post...

https://www.tumblr.com/robsheridan/7...d-25-years-ago

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    There are definitely things in that Tumblr post that have not previously surfaced, including a tract about a WIP version of The Great Below. Always cool to see old details bubble up from the depths...

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    There are definitely things in that Tumblr post that have not previously surfaced, including a tract about a WIP version of The Great Below. Always cool to see old details bubble up from the depths...
    We need to hear that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I definitely thought that about some of the gear shots never being posted.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Wonderful Tumblr post. Thanks for sharing here. Man seeing TR in the booth reminds me of the amazing promo they cut for the Album.
    Last edited by Ruined; 09-21-2024 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Hard to believe it's been 25 years already. I remember right where I was back then when I was only 16 years old. I had to go to the Best Buy in Fargo to get it because my small hometown only had a Wal-Mart and K-Mart in those days and they only sold edited/clean CDs. I remember being almost overwhelmed with how much new music there was to sink my teeth into, but I couldn't wait to pop the "Left" disc into my Sony Discman and put my headphones on and see what Trent had cooked up (aside from TDTWWA, Starfuckers, and WITT, which I'd already heard). I played some of it in the car today and it still rocks every bit as much as it did back then. Like The Downward Spiral before it, it doesn't sound like it's aged a day.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Just popping in to say Trent could have done a 25 year Fragile tour if he wanted.
    Why on earth would he do that when he can keep making soundtracks that sound the same?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The Fragile era is when I fully embraced being a NIN fan on my own. I grew up with my parents as NIN fans, but by 99 I was saving allowances for music. Sept 99, I started freshmen year of high school. I remember being very excited about the Trent-Kurt Loder interview and the performance on the VMAS 9/9/99, the first day of high school (and the release of the Sega Dreamcast! ) .

I remember later into the album's cycle, my friends coming over to watch the world premiere of the Into the Void video.

The Fragile will always hold a special place in my life.

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Why on earth would he do that when he can keep making soundtracks that sound the same?
    Right right? Pretty hard to distinguish between Challengers and Bones and All. I get The Killer mixed up with Empire of Light all the time. I never know if I've got Mutant Mayhem or Soul on.

I say this with love: STFU

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Right right? Pretty hard to distinguish between Challengers and Bones and All. I get The Killer mixed up with Empire of Light all the time. I never know if I've got Mutant Mayhem or Soul on.

I say this with love: STFU
    I’m just bitter ‘cause I want a Fragile tour. lol

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'm okay with that not happening. I don't think they could do it justice as a whole.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Honestly, I'm okay with that not happening. I don't think they could do it justice as a whole.
    I’d be happy even if WITT requires playback for the chorus vocals.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Trent with the drive of 2007 could make it happen easily, I honestly just don't think he cares enough to attempt it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Trent with the drive of 2007 could make it happen easily, I honestly just don't think he cares enough to attempt it.
    Trent wasn't pushing 60 with a family and a whole other career in 2007. Even then, if you listen to that incarnation of the band performing We're In This Together, you can tell it's already a bit of a struggle for Trent to maintain the energy of that song. Not saying it's impossible for him to do it today, but I just don't think it would hit as hard as it needs to. Probably why it hasn't been performed since then.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-23-2024 at 04:18 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    as amazing as it would be to see the fragile live, trent doing a nostalgia tour would make me sad. it's not that NIN is better than all these other bands doing that shit... but of course NIN is better than all these other bands doing that shit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Trent wasn't pushing 60 with a family and a whole other career in 2007. Even then, if you listen to that incarnation of the band performing We're In This Together, you can tell it's already a bit of a struggle for Trent to maintain the energy of that song. Not saying it's impossible for him to do it today, but I just don't think it would hit as hard as it needs to. Probably why it hasn't been performed since then.
    As much as I enjoyed the With Teeth live era, the 2008 lineup and every incarnation afterwards was technically better IMO. It would be a treat to hear the current band tackle WITT, but clearly the vocals are the issue. He was able to make Last work and they still play that one, so I suppose there's hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What I really want are the 5.1 mixes. I'm ready, bring them on!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    NIN's official accounts posted some behind the scenes pictures from the recording of The Fragile. None of them appear to be unreleased, but definitely the best quality I've seen.

https://www.instagram.com/p/DATcyCzg...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    tumblr_2700ffba68e562de50557d25d216c25c_90e044a1_1280.jpg

Track 11 - Rotation...is this a renamed track?

Edit: Nevermind. I knew I should have consulted the wiki before posting. https://www.nin.wiki/Rotation

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Track 11 - Rotation...is this a renamed track?

Edit: Nevermind. I knew I should have consulted the wiki before posting. https://www.nin.wiki/Rotation
    Before Charlie made the claim it *could* be The Big Come Down, I always thought it could be Just Like You Imagined. It's likely not any of the songs with lyrics that made the album that weren't on those white board tracklistings (We're In This Together, No You Don't, The Great Below, Where Is Everybody) given how prominently the song title is featured in the lyrics. Ripe was on that CD along with Rotation so it's not that. The Frail and I Look Forward To Joining You Finally are unlikely. That leaves Just Like You Imagined, The Way Out Is Through and The Big Come Down, assuming it is not a totally unreleased track, which I think is unlikely since every other song listed on those early listings ended up on the album (and it's easy to see how Stained became Underneath It All).

To me, Just Like You Imagined makes sense unless it was a late addition to the album. The Big Come Down could work since its title is sort a lyric in a bridge section only mentioned once, so it's possible it had an early title. If Charlie couldn't say for sure, then I doubt we'll ever know. Maybe Danny would remember?