Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41 81 89 90 91 92 93 101 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,730 of 3060

Thread: Nine Inch Nails - 2014 Tour Discussion/Speculation

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    ....I would think Rock Am Ring will be broadcast in full, they always air every band on the main stage every year...If they dont, then you know TR is pulling strings
    They don't play on the main stage. It's the alterna stage. So I don't know, if every act on this stage will be broadcast....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Ergh

So I've finished my shows for this tour and *personal opinion alert* I found the shows a bit underwhelming. The band performed well, though Trent aside there seemed to be a huge lack of charisma - I expect more than just some guys on stage playing instruments from this band. Very happy with the YZ and HM heavy set lists but they've been extremely static - some of you may recall that I frequently exclaim that light shows are stupid because the set list and performance is compromised; this definitely proved that for me. A lot of the shows felt predictable and overrehearsed as a result.

I don't regret it. I had fun and yet again made loads of new friends and experiences. But something was missing. The soullessness of arenas didn't help. Perhaps I've been too spoiled by past tours.

/butthurt

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Apparently they didn't have the video screen for Primavera Sound Festival, so it looks like that's not going to happen for Rock Am, but I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Are you SURE that SICNH was the closer? because i saw nin in 94 and early 95 and i could have SWORN it was hurt.
    You know what? i'm gonna check out the setlist on those shows.

BTW, now that i think about it? i think that fuck you like the animals song was the closer...

see what i did there?
    According to nintourhistory, SICNH was the show closer in Dallas 10/29/94 (I'm assuming that's what you saw). It closed the show again in Dallas on 2/11/95

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Ergh

So I've finished my shows for this tour and *personal opinion alert* I found the shows a bit underwhelming. The band performed well, though Trent aside there seemed to be a huge lack of charisma - I expect more than just some guys on stage playing instruments from this band. Very happy with the YZ and HM heavy set lists but they've been extremely static - some of you may recall that I frequently exclaim that light shows are stupid because the set list and performance is compromised; this definitely proved that for me. A lot of the shows felt predictable and overrehearsed as a result.

I don't regret it. I had fun and yet again made loads of new friends and experiences. But something was missing. The soullessness of arenas didn't help. Perhaps I've been too spoiled by past tours.

/butthurt
    I can understand this entirely, I didn't feel exactly the same way, maybe because I have only seen two (very similar) incarnations of the band (2009/2014) live.
    I do agree that the thing I enjoyed the least was the enthusiasm of Trent and the band. In Cardiff especially he was moody and short, not saying much at all or seeming like he was enjoying himself. They all seemed bored, even though they played well. I loved the light show and the sound and the instrumentation, and the crowds were pretty great too (minus some idiots) but all in all I feel like it just lacked something. I was gutted that the Pino/Josh/backing singers lineup wasn't used in Europe, especially as it sounded incredible. I would've preferred that with a minimal stage setup to what we got on the actual tour.
    I think if I had seen the 2007 tour with the With Teeth lineup, I would've been even more disappointed. I'm kind of glad I don't have that high bar to set against, but obviously deeply upset that I never did see it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Ergh

/butthurt
    It's a shame you didn't get to experience the Nottingham show - that was almost like the Berlin show in a way, setlist varied significantly from the rest of the recent shows, and I still can't really fathom why (not complaining!!) as we still got all the bells and whistles....I agree that there may have been a slight 'going through the motions' vibe at times - as Trent himself said it's all about execution and exhaustion at this stage, which is a bit sad to hear.

Would've preferred a chattier, happier Trent than we saw. Is it that he feels less comfortable away from the US - certainly I've seen footage of him speaking for extended periods of time in America, and he seems more at ease. Or maybe it was the less than stellar sales that has put him in a less agreeable mood?

Personally though, I was buzzing after last weekend - maybe only having seen them 5 times means the novelty hasn't worn off yet for me?!

If there's one benefit from this experience, hopefully it'll be the dawning realisation that they're not big enough in the UK for 6 big arena shows unless they have a stellar support act, and they'll revert back to the Brixtons of this world. (or, more likely, just do 2-3 arena shows instead).
    Last edited by simonn; 06-01-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    According to nintourhistory, SICNH was the show closer in Dallas 10/29/94 (I'm assuming that's what you saw). It closed the show again in Dallas on 2/11/95
    It was the closer every day of that tour except for the days when there was no encore and in the three day stretch in Los Angeles they mixed things up a bit.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    that is fucking bizarre.
    Just goes to show how unreliable memory can be.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fuck View Post

I feel like Trent's going a bit overboard with the horror aspect of Came Back Haunted.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    I feel like Trent's going a bit overboard with the horror aspect of Came Back Haunted.
    Came Back Hulked?

Also, this comes to mind:

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatper...cartoon030.htm
    Last edited by Fist Fuck; 06-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I saw your username "Fist Fuck" together with that picture and, well, made the unfortunate connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ergh

/butthurt
    Similarly underwhelmed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraCynic View Post
    Similarly underwhelmed.
    the curse of being a great live band...are the expectations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did they announce the streaming plan for Rock am Ring and Rock im Park?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne. View Post
    Did they announce the streaming plan for Rock am Ring and Rock im Park?
    Schedule is supposed to go up Thursday.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Uhhhhhh... http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-i...-53c03fb5.html

Goddamn.

*edit* LOLJK

This is what it originally said, and I was peeing my pants:

Somewhat Damaged
    Last
    Copy of A
    The Line Begins to Blur
    March of the Pigs
    Me, I'm Not
    Gave Up
    Burn
    Came Back Haunted
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    Ruiner
    Find My Way
    You Know What You Are?
    Survivalism
    The Great Destroyer
    I Do Not Want This
    Wish
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like a Hole
    Eraser
    The Day the World Went Away
    While I'm Still Here
    Hurt
    Last edited by Sarah K; 06-03-2014 at 06:14 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Down in it snippet during closer?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I'd imagine that is an error.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Jesus Christ, what troll did that?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That fake setlist was good trolling. It was full of "holy shit, really?" moments but no huge red flags like TPD ILFTJYF WIE etc.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    That fake setlist was good trolling. It was full of "holy shit, really?" moments but no huge red flags like TPD ILFTJYF WIE etc.
    Yep. It was basically just believable enough, without being too over the top. KUDOS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Disagree that shows have been underwhelming this tour. I agree the band have seemed a bit quiet (especially at the Manchester show), but the show played at Primavera (even without the ridiculously great visuals) was easily the best I have ever seen NIN. It was one of the biggest crowds of the festival and the atmosphere was incredible, so I'm assuming that made an impact on the band.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    Or maybe it was the less than stellar sales that has put him in a less agreeable mood? ...

If there's one benefit from this experience, hopefully it'll be the dawning realisation that they're not big enough in the UK for 6 big arena shows unless they have a stellar support act, and they'll revert back to the Brixtons of this world. (or, more likely, just do 2-3 arena shows instead).
    I think that probably does have an effect as he seemed pretty happy at the 02 show which was the fullest, but I don't think the intensity of the performance was adversely affected at the Birmingham or Cardiff show though. I think the Reading festival performance and live streaming on the BBC was part of the promotion and the tour had been booked beforehand and once that was scuppered they didn't really do anything else promotion wise which was a shame. I feel doing something on TV would help, especially as I looked for the varying successes of NIN albums in the UK on the BPI website - and With Teeth went gold within a few weeks of release, unlike any other album - this makes me wonder if that performance on CDUK had an effect on sales - perhaps an example of the power of television?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think that probably does have an effect as he seemed pretty happy at the 02 show which was the fullest, but I don't think the intensity of the performance was adversely affected at the Birmingham or Cardiff show though. I think the Reading festival performance and live streaming on the BBC was part of the promotion and the tour had been booked beforehand and once that was scuppered they didn't really do anything else promotion wise which was a shame. I feel doing something on TV would help, especially as I looked for the varying successes of NIN albums in the UK on the BPI website - and With Teeth went gold within a few weeks of release, unlike any other album - this makes me wonder if that performance on CDUK had an effect on sales - perhaps an example of the power of television?

I thought the o2 show was the least good of the shows I attended. I'd probably say:

Paris
    Birmingham
    Cardiff
    Antwerp/Amsterdam
    London

A lot of my friends who only saw the London show loved it. But that's largely because NIN give more of a shit about their work than most other bands around.

Also for your other point, I'm kind of surprised they've never done something like Jools Holland. Though there is a part of me that'd like to see them pop up on Graham Norton or Chatty Man...if they did anything it'd be Jonathan Ross and we'd all have to find places to vomit.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    NIN on Jools would be amazing (or maybe when he does radio talk shows, put him on Radio 6 where he belongs not fucking Zane Lowe), but Trent seems adverse to publicity.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I thought the o2 show was the least good of the shows I attended. I'd probably say:

Paris
    Birmingham
    Cardiff
    Antwerp/Amsterdam
    London

A lot of my friends who only saw the London show loved it. But that's largely because NIN give more of a shit about their work than most other bands around.

Also for your other point, I'm kind of surprised they've never done something like Jools Holland. Though there is a part of me that'd like to see them pop up on Graham Norton or Chatty Man...if they did anything it'd be Jonathan Ross and we'd all have to find places to vomit.
    Didn't Courtney Love go on Chatty Man ?? That would be interesting!

The thing that clinched London for me was that I was with my sister and she's been out of the loop for ages, I wasn't sat with her at the 2009 show because you could only buy 2 presales in one go, plus she was in a mood as she waited for 90 mins in the presale queue. But this time, no queue so we could go get a pizza / beer from pizza express, then they start with Me, I'm Not which is one of her favourites and all the way through she was saying stuff like 'i need the loo but i don't want to miss a second' and 'i forgot how devastating they are live' 'all the old songs sound so fresh' - anyway the whole thing was a sister - sister trent bonding love-in.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    NIN on Jools would be amazing (or maybe when he does radio talk shows, put him on Radio 6 where he belongs not fucking Zane Lowe), but Trent seems adverse to publicity.
    Which r6 show would NIN fit on: Radcliffe and McConie? Tom Robinson?!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I thought they'd do Jools this time round. They just seem to be against that kind of promotion. I heard something about Letterman wanting Trent on for ages after Woodstock but he'd never go. And then they appear on CD:UK. Odd.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    could someone please tell trent to play 1,000,000 and Terrible Lie in Poland? kthxbye