Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns N' Roses

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Watching the 1992 Japan DVD, and as bloated as they were at the time, they were still fucking awesome. Watching GN'R now, circa 1992, 25 years later, they were fucking gods. Whatever modern band could compete with Axl, Slash, Duff in their prime?

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Watching the 1992 Japan DVD, and as bloated as they were at the time, they were still fucking awesome. Watching GN'R now, circa 1992, 25 years later, they were fucking gods. Whatever modern band could compete with Axl, Slash, Duff in their prime?
    are you referring to bands at the arena & above level only? Cuz there are plenty of bands that play smaller venues that are infinitely better than GnR. As far as arena acts, I saw Muse this past winter and they were pretty damn impressive, part. for only 3 main band members.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Muse better than GN'R? No way, man. There are no more Axl Roses or Slashes. No iconic rock n' rollers who write songs anyone will remember in 10-25 years time.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 11-14-2016 at 05:20 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Muse better than GN'R? No way, man. There are no more Axl Roses or Slashes. No iconic rock n' rollers who write songs anyone will remember in 10-25 years time.
    Ehhh, I'm glad there are no more iconic rock n' rollers. I think there is plenty of amazing music out there that will be remembered in 10-25 years, but most people are older and don't hunt for new music like they used to when they were younger. There were only icons because you had music channels that called them icons. They're are plenty of legends out now, you just don't hear them. Axl and Slash are only icons because it used to be a small community promoting these people. MTV made them icons. No more MTV, no more people to tell you how great they are. You have to go find the great music now, not be told what the great music is. Go discover the great music. There is no MTV of music promotion anymore. The listeners have dispersed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm an old fuddy-duddey. The last great rock bands came out in the 1990's, and get off my lawn!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I'm an old fuddy-duddey. The last great rock bands came out in the 1990's, and get off my lawn!
    I'll be 33 in January

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Upcoming opening acts. Some interesting choices. Killing Joke and Mark Lanegan opening for GN'R?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Upcoming opening acts. Some interesting choices. Killing Joke and Mark Lanegan opening for GN'R?
    Knowing KJ, they'll probably back out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'd say "rock n' rollers who wrote songs anyone will remember."

GNR was a band with so much potential, but their heavy drug use and Axl's madness fucked it all up. Nowadays they are just a nostalgia act that can't live up to their own legacy, and I say this with a bit of sadness, cause they were one of my favourite bands, but I've lost all hope and faith in them.

Axl has to be one of the greatest wastes of talent in the world of rock. GNR are irrelevant today.

Now, how amazing would have been a GNR (or Axl) album produced by Trent Reznor? Axl was really into NIN back in the 90s and was going for that industrial sound after the Illusions. It's one of those things that never was, but could have been incredible.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    I'd say "rock n' rollers who wrote songs anyone will remember."

GNR was a band with so much potential, but their heavy drug use and Axl's madness fucked it all up. Nowadays they are just a nostalgia act that can't live up to their own legacy, and I say this with a bit of sadness, cause they were one of my favourite bands, but I've lost all hope and faith in them.

Axl has to be one of the greatest wastes of talent in the world of rock. GNR are irrelevant today.

Now, how amazing would have been a GNR (or Axl) album produced by Trent Reznor? Axl was really into NIN back in the 90s and was going for that industrial sound after the Illusions. It's one of those things that never was, but could have been incredible.
    Any band that has been around as long as GN'R is, to some extent, a nostalgia act. A TR-produced Guns N' Roses would be poorly received. An Axl Rose solo album, maybe. Moot point as I highly doubt Trent would do it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Any band that has been around as long as GN'R is, to some extent, a nostalgia act. A TR-produced Guns N' Roses would be poorly received. An Axl Rose solo album, maybe. Moot point as I highly doubt Trent would do it.
    I mean back then, when Axl was into it and wanted to record with TR and Dave Navarro, right after the Use Your Illusion albums around 1994, not in 2017. Besides anyone who's into GNR knows of Axl's inability to release new music.
    Last edited by tremolo; 04-11-2017 at 02:01 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Since Trent was always going to waste his time on someone else's music rather than his own as he had a hankering to produce something at that point, i'd have preferred it to be a GNR thing rather than Marilyn Manson personally.
    Actually on reflection I take that back, no way would 94 Trent be able to deal with GNR egos, he'd prob still be working on it in 2010!
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-11-2017 at 02:43 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    mean what our comrades and white house allies are doing http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mosexuals.html
    louie

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    In 1992/1993 when Frank Sinatra was recording his Duets album, Axl was under consideration for a collaboration. How awesome would that have been?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Axl achieved some circles of alternative/industrial scene flavor with some musicians he had acquired in the late 90's and early 00's. Some of the late 90's demo recordings featured Gary Sunshine aka our boy Billy Howerdel under a pseudonym. Then there's Robin Finck, Buckethead, Josh Freese, Brain Mantia (Primus fame), Dave Navarro and a few others. Those 90's demos of IRS, There Was A Time and Catcher in the Rye were very different, darker and more visceral. No doubt I bet Chinese Democracy would've been 10 times better had it been released earlier than it did.

Oh My God had Howerdel, Freese and Navarro on it. Sean Beaven (Manson, Puscifer and NIN fame producer) produced it.

1999 Demo

Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-02-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    GNR are irrelevant today.
    that's a fairly ridiculous statement......and approx $5mil a show proves it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Axl achieved some circles of alternative/industrial scene flavor with some musicians he had acquired in the late 90's and early 00's. Some of the late 90's demo recordings featured Gary Sunshine aka our boy Billy Howerdel under a pseudonym. Then there's Robin Finck, Buckethead, Josh Freese, Brain Mantia (Primus fame), Dave Navarro and a few others. Those 90's demos of IRS, There Was A Time and Catcher in the Rye were very different, darker and more visceral. No doubt I bet Chinese Democracy would've been 10 times better had it been released earlier than it did.

Oh My God had Howerdel, Freese and Navarro on it. Sean Beaven (Manson, Puscifer and NIN fame producer) produced it.

1999 Demo

I do like some of the demos better. CITR and "prostitute" sound better on the demos. The finished, released songs sound too busy, too tinkered with. Still, the album is what it is and I like it. I wish Axl would release a boxset of all the demos and other finished tracks, pre-reunion, and then start from scratch on a new album with the current lineup.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I always liked Oh My God. As for the album, I only liked a couple of tracks off it. I do wish we got an album closer to the demo versions. An industrial GnR album sounds aces to me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    that's a fairly ridiculous statement......and approx $5mil a show proves it.
    They are irrelevant. Only their hardcore fans still care about that band and thosr overpriced shows.

In the music scene, they stopped being relevant in '93.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    They are irrelevant. Only their hardcore fans still care about that band and thosr overpriced shows.

If that were the case they wouldn't still be playing stadiums. Never really understood what "relevant" means or why people think it's important. Should people stop enjoying and following music they like because The Chainsmokers and Ed Sheeran are what's considered hip/relevant/important, even though their music is fucking horrible? Fuck "the music scene." Who gives a shit?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

you're way off here, they're filling football stadiums....i'm not sure how YOU measure relevance but im pretty certain bringing in that kinda of revenue qualifies as such.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If that were the case they wouldn't still be playing stadiums. Never really understood what "relevant" means or why people think it's important. Should people stop enjoying and following music they like because The Chainsmokers and Ed Sheeran are what's considered hip/relevant/important, even though their music is fucking horrible? Fuck "the music scene." Who gives a shit?
    It's a huge cash grab for them. They're doing a greatest hits tour, very structured (as opposed to the UYI tour, where they chose songs pretty much on the spot), and the newest song they're playing is 9 years old.

I love gnr, i love their music, but it's sad what they've become. Axl is a lazy motherfucker and even now with duff and slash on board it still feels more like a corporation than an actual band.

About being relevant, look at TR, he managed to stay relevant outside of NIN's fanbase, his score work and colabs with other artists, the visually orgasmic shows... pushing it. Sadly nothing like that can be said of gnr right now, or axl rose. It's a waste of talent.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    you're way off here, they're filling football stadiums....i'm not sure how YOU measure relevance but im pretty certain bringing in that kinda of revenue qualifies as such.
    I don't mean how many people you bribg to your shows. I bet Justin Bieber can sell more tickets, or just as much.

I mean the impact they (could have) in the musical landscape.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's a huge cash grab for them. They're doing a greatest hits tour, very structured (as opposed to the UYI tour, where they chose songs pretty much on the spot), and the newest song they're playing is 9 years old.

I love gnr, i love their music, but it's sad what they've become. Axl is a lazy motherfucker and even now with duff and slash on board it still feels more like a corporation than an actual band.

About being relevant, look at TR, he managed to stay relevant outside of NIN's fanbase, his score work and colabs with other artists, the visually orgasmic shows... pushing it. Sadly nothing like that can be said of gnr right now, or axl rose. It's a waste of talent.
    The newest song they are playing is nine years old because they haven't released an album in nine years. Never understood the "cash grab" concept. Are they supposed to play for free, for the love of playing music? And GN'R have felt like a corporation since 1991. You have a point about Trent, he has been far more productive than Axl, at least in terms of releasing new music for the past 20+ years. Hopefully GN'R and maybe AC/DC with Axl will release new music at some point.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I don't mean how many people you bribg to your shows. I bet Justin Bieber can sell more tickets, or just as much.

I mean the impact they (could have) in the musical landscape.
    I would expect a new GN'R with Slash and Duff, to sell between 500k and one million copies, provided it's good and they promote it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The newest song they are playing is nine years old because they haven't released an album in nine years. Never understood the "cash grab" concept. Are they supposed to play for free, for the love of playing music? And GN'R have felt like a corporation since 1991. You have a point about Trent, he has been far more productive than Axl, at least in terms of releasing new music for the past 20+ years. Hopefully GN'R and maybe AC/DC with Axl will release new music at some point.
    Yes, they haven't released music in 9 years.

It is a cashgrab: pretty much same setlist every night (no, they are not restricted by an intricate stage design), axl sounds fucking awful (i'm not talking about the rasp, i'm talking about his pitch).

I don't expect musicians to give their art for free, it is worth paying for. But if the GNR Co. is charging those prices for tickets, the least they can do is give you a kick ass show. I get the nostalgia factor, but technically their shows are mediocre (check paragraph above).

I think Axl constantly undermines himself. It blows, but we're more likely to hear new axl from acdc.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I would expect a new GN'R with Slash and Duff, to sell between 500k and one million copies, provided it's good and they promote it.
    I doubt that will happen (new album with them), but if it does, i'm sure it will sell great. The hype would be insane.

Musically? 0 faith there. A good album, but way below expectations.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The shows have bee well received (by fans and critics) and Axl sounds fine. I would like to hear some deep cuts from UYI, but the 3 hour setlist is otherwise pretty awesome and they play all the hits and fan-favorite deep cuts.