Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Festival Thread

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Honestly, based on how fast the 3 Day passes went, I wouldn't expect the single day tickets to last longer than a couple of hours.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Honestly, based on how fast the 3 Day passes went, I wouldn't expect the single day tickets to last longer than a couple of hours.
    That's what I figured, but tell that to @allegro

(as per the response I got in the Nine Inch Nails 2013 tour thread with the exactly same above wall of text I just copied and pasted over there to see what other responses I would gather from people who don't come to this thread)

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I don't remember Lolla Chicago ever selling out a one-day ticket that fast for anybody, are you sure? That's now 95,000 tickets. (Well, minus the Early Bird and cheap Three Days that are already sold out,).

edit: Tickets were still available the morning of the show (daily capacity in 2008 was 75,000): http://www.ticketnews.com/news/Maxim...ld-out08804939

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

The 3 Day passes always go fast, because they're cheaper and you get the wristband allowing you to come and go whenever you want (which you can't do with a single-day pass).

It appears that Perry and the three Chucks allotted a LOT less Three-Day passes this year, since they sold out in minutes with Mumford & Sons, Phoenix and Vampire Weekend (who've played Pitchfork twice already) as the only known headliners. $235 wtf. But scalpers are already selling those. Ugh the single days are gonna be stupid expensive.

I predict that whatever day THE CURE plays will go fast. That is the only day I give a shit about. I fucking hate Lolla now. I hope all the drunk talking through the whole show we're only here to get drunk and get laid assholes stay the fuck away from wherever I am.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...cal&id=9042769

Meanwhile, we also have Pitchfork. Bjork and Wire, hmmm ...
    http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2013/0...-lineup/65158/

Pitchfork is cooler than Lolla except you can't leave and come back, their infrastructure is ridiculous (wait in line for 30 minutes to pee in a porta-potty full of barf, not nearly enough drinking water and it's JULY, mud mud mud, piggy people leaving garbage everywhere and no staff cleans it up) and their food (which you're stuck with) sucks. At least Lolla has Graham Elliott and Connie's pizza. Pitchfork has cold vegan burgers soaked in spilled 312 beer. And the hippies don't have a wine tent.
    Last edited by allegro; 03-31-2013 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I only figured NIN for Outside Lands as wishful thinking. It happens a week after and to me it would be strange if NIN just does one festival, while Lolla and OSL usually share a nice chunk of acts and NIN have yet to play OSL. I would purchase single days to be on the safe side for Lolla. If they end up playing OSL, you can always sell the Lolla tickets because I'm extremely sure someone will take them off your hands. The more I look at it, Lolla doesn't seem too bad for a lineup, I don't care too much about NIN anymore, but I would give my left nut to see The Cure again.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Before the Lolla lineup leaked, The Cure updated their facebook page that they would be attending Fuji Rock fest, and THAT was actually the push that made me *almost* want to fly to Japan for Fuji Rock. I mean for NIN alone... yeah, I was just gonna wait for the US arena tour. I don't need to see NIN at a festival *That* bad, but when They announced the Cure and NIN would BOTH be attending, holy smokes, all hell broke loose.

So naturally, when the lolla lineup leaked and the 2 acts I was almost ready to fly to Japan for, were rumoed to be there, that's where this whole "Hey, let's just go to lolla" idea came from. I have a feeling The Cure is gonna go on a whole US trek this summer though, they might just be waiting for lolla to release their lineup and they'll announce headling area shows a few weeks later.

As for the rest of the festival, 90% of the stuff I have no idea what any of it is but, a few other acts that are decent for me would be QOTSA, New Order, Cat Power, Crystal Castles and Robert DeLong.

I really can't see NIN flying back to North America for just 1 show though, since there are 2 weeks between the end of the Japan dates and the next European dates, lolla makes sense for sure, but there has to be something else thrown in there. So in that sense OSL makes alot of sense. since this seems to be a festival run.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

we'd read that Robert Smith developed a flying phobia and would never fly again so we figured, that's it, no more Cure in the U.S. But I guess he was miraculously cured (no pun intended), or he took a boat here and then he'll stay a while, touring.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    No, I heard he still takes the boat.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    And it looks like QOTSA will open for NIN on that Friday of the festival. Big WTF to the Postal Service headlining, I'm guessing they're sharing the bill with The National on their day, no Vampy Weeks headlining, and New Order opening up for The Killers.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    So what day is The Cure gonna be?

edit: never mind, just saw answer to question: Sunday.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/0...day-breakdown/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    And it looks like QOTSA will open for NIN on that Friday of the festival. Big WTF to the Postal Service headlining, I'm guessing they're sharing the bill with The National on their day, no Vampy Weeks headlining, and New Order opening up for The Killers.
    Yeah I don't understand how The Postal Service can headline based soley on ONE album that is only 45 minutes long. And it kind of sucks that New Order will probably be opening for The Killers because I really don't want to have to book it a mile up north to see NIN as soon as New Order ends their set, if I end up getting press passes and going.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Do you think NIN will play opposite The Killers? I might be going with someone who really likes The Killers and NIN, so that would be devastating for them. If we go, I'll buy day 1 and day 3 passes and do something else besides Lolla on day 2. I would love to see The Cure again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

Quote Originally Posted by redshoewearer View Post
    Do you think NIN will play opposite The Killers? I might be going with someone who really likes The Killers and NIN, so that would be devastating for them.
    They're opposite each other, yes.

We're gonna go for Sunday, only. G's already off that day so it's kismet. I fell asleep the last time I saw The Cure (they were, like, the 90th band to go onstage) but they won't go on so late this time because there's a curfew heh.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-01-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Yeah I don't understand how The Postal Service can headline based soley on ONE album that is only 45 minutes long. And it kind of sucks that New Order will probably be opening for The Killers because I really don't want to have to book it a mile up north to see NIN as soon as New Order ends their set, if I end up getting press passes and going.
    To be honest, that whole Saturday aside from Postal Service, The National, and Death Grips is going to suck. But I'm willing to bet they give Postal Service an hour, but National with 90 minutes to compensate for them going on earlier.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    To be honest, that whole Saturday aside from Postal Service, The National, and Death Grips is going to suck. But I'm willing to bet they give Postal Service an hour, but National with 90 minutes to compensate for them going on earlier.
    The Postal Service have a few new songs to add to their set too, and Ben always manages to throw in a cover song or 2 when he's on stage, but this could still be very different from a Death Cab show.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Single Day passes for Lollapalooza all sold out within a couple of hours. Next year they're going to really have no other choice than to pull a Coachella and do a second weekend.

What shows you the demographic going to Lolla though, is that Saturday sold out almost immediately.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Single Day passes for Lollapalooza all sold out within a couple of hours. Next year they're going to really have no other choice than to pull a Coachella and do a second weekend.

What shows you the demographic going to Lolla though, is that Saturday sold out almost immediately.

So true. I had a friend by my friday ticker (solely to see NIN) cause I'm at work. When you hover over the artists to see how many people had added them to their "setlist" the killers blew everyone away, and no one seemed to care about NIN or the cure. Which made me happy to be honest, cause I knew I would ge the friday ticket with no issue.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I didn't care for Saturday either, not a single act I know of on that day, so i'm shocked that was the one that sold out the quickest. Guess i'm just stuck in the 90's and don't know what's "cool" and "with it" these days. Mumford and Sons? What is that? lol... I also keep hearing the name "The Postal Service" everywhere I go and how so many people are excited this band got back together... back together? I never even knew who they were in the first place. Wow... where have I been?

But yeah, you hover over The Killers on the lolla page and it shows almost 7000 people have it as their most viewed/excited about band (whatever you want to call it) of Friday night, where as NIN only has 3555. But hey, that works out better for us (the people that are going for NIN) Rather have the NIN stage less crowded so i'm not fighting for a decent spot.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm kinda relieved because I really didn't want to go to Lollapalooza. I am completely and officially Lollapalooza'd out. And The Cure is allegedly doing a full tour in the States so I'd rather blow my money on seeing them in a non-festival environment, instead.

Last edited by allegro; 04-04-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Always thought the logical first step should be just to offer 3-day passes. Coachella and Bonnaroo do that, and they do very well, then you can go to a two weekend deal. Saturday selling out in record time scares me, mostly because I didn't think Mumford and Sons were that popular within Lollapalooza's demographic. I remember seeing them in 2010 on a side stage on the North side of the park which was the smaller side.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The Lolla demographic is constantly changing.

I think these sold-out tix just indicates that Perry is trying to push those VIP tickets.

Seriously, though, tix for all of these days will be available on StubHub by tonight, guaranteed. edit: already there

There are also a shitload of other ticket brokers in Chicago. It's legal, here.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I honestly don't understand how everyone got tix for Friday like no problem... I sat at my pc screen for an hour only to get nothing.

Now I guess I'm gonna get charged $65 more a ticket because Frontgate fucking blows.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I got passes for day 1 and 3, but there's nothing really on day 2 that we want to see, so we'll do other Chicago things that day. I'm going with my daughter - she wanted to see The Killers, but she said and I quote, 'I'm not passing up a chance to see NIN just for The Killers'.

I'd rather see The Cure in a non-festival setting too, but summer is the only time we'll be able to do anything together, and I don't know what the my fall schedule will be like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    I honestly don't understand how everyone got tix for Friday like no problem... I sat at my pc screen for an hour only to get nothing.

Now I guess I'm gonna get charged $65 more a ticket because Frontgate fucking blows.
    Same. A friend and I had both our iPhones and laptops trying to get Friday tix only to come away empty handed. We were able to get Sunday tix though. We were there the minute they went on sale. There's currently 481 tickets available on Stubhub though! Such bullshit. It'd be really cool if they switched Sunday's lineup with Saturday or Friday with Saturday. Now I have to pay probably $150+ for a hotel Saturday night just to see NIN and The Cure. This festival's going to hurt.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    That's horrible about the single days, I don't understand what's up this year with that.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fortysixand2 View Post
    Now I have to pay probably $150+ for a hotel Saturday night just to see NIN and The Cure. This festival's going to hurt.
    Good luck getting a Hotel for under $200! My girlfriend and I already booked ours, literally one of the ones right across from Grant Park (don't recall the name) and it was $222 a night, and that was the best in the area considering proximity to the festival. There were hotels that needed an hour worth of transit to get to from the festival that were STILL around $200 a night.

This festival is defintaly going to hurt (the wallet) pretty damn hard. We booked an extra day on Thursday just so we can get settled in the night before the festival. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. 4 night stay x $222 = $888 + any other ridiculious hotel fees they decide to throw our way, + the $400 we spent on our tickets and travel fare which is going to be around $1000 (we're stopping in my hometown of Winnipeg on the way to the festival to visit friends as family). So this trip is gonna cost us an arm and a leg hahaha... bwtween $1700-2000 each no doubt. Damn... think about how many west coast arena shows I could have attended for that money...

Nearly 2 grand on a shortened NIN setlist, I must be insane!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Always thought the logical first step should be just to offer 3-day passes. Coachella and Bonnaroo do that, and they do very well, then you can go to a two weekend deal. Saturday selling out in record time scares me, mostly because I didn't think Mumford and Sons were that popular within Lollapalooza's demographic. I remember seeing them in 2010 on a side stage on the North side of the park which was the smaller side.
    I was there too, because I was waiting for them to end to grab rail for MuteMath, who were playing that stage next. That was the first time I'd heard Mumford and even then I was severely unimpressed.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I was there too, because I was waiting for them to end to grab rail for MuteMath, who were playing that stage next. That was the first time I'd heard Mumford and even then I was severely unimpressed.
    I remember my brother's friend telling me to check them out because she said they were like Fleet Foxes, I left after two songs. I decided to wait it out for Yeasayer instead. If I had money, I'd go to Osheaga.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Good luck getting a Hotel for under $200! My girlfriend and I already booked ours, literally one of the ones right across from Grant Park (don't recall the name) and it was $222 a night, and that was the best in the area considering proximity to the festival.
    The Congress? We ARE a big city, so hotels aren't cheap although we're not nearly as expensive as NYC. But that's a nice weekend vacation in Chicago, too; you should have a lot of fun,
    Last edited by allegro; 04-04-2013 at 02:56 AM.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Congress? We ARE a big city, so hotels aren't cheap although we're not nearly as expensive as NYC. But that's a nice weekend vacation in Chicago, too; you should have a lot of fun,
    Yeah, it is the Congress! When I first saw your post and the name, it didn't ring a bell and was about to dismiss it, until I went back to expedia hotel search to look at the map of hotels to find the one we booked, and yep it's the Congress, good guess.

Our summer vacation last year was actually 5 days in NYC, and we paid out the ass for that trip as well. We stayed at Hotel Pennsylvania in downtown Manhattan. Don't remember what the nightly rate was, but it wasn't cheap considering the tiny ass room we got. The window was permenantly stuck open as well about 4 inches, just wouldn't close. We basically chose it because it was one of the very few hotels in NYC that actually came equipped with a fridge. Fridges are an absolute necessity in my mind!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

The Congress is the only hotel right there at Michigan and Congress Pkwy across from the Auditorium Theater, it's the closest hotel to Grant Park. It's not luxury, it's old and tired, but its location and fairly cheap rate make it popular for Lolla attendees. Zagat gives Hotel Pennsylvania in NYC a 10 and the Congress a 14 so you're moving up heh.

edit: the husband is now bummed because HE wanted to see the Cure at Lolla. Scalper tix may be in our future
    Last edited by allegro; 04-04-2013 at 07:13 AM.