Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The Festival Thread

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I remember my brother's friend telling me to check them out because she said they were like Fleet Foxes, I left after two songs. I decided to wait it out for Yeasayer instead. If I had money, I'd go to Osheaga.
    Holy shit Yeasayer was great in 2010. I went to mainly see Soundgarden, so we saw Wolfmother too...all of their songs sounded very similar.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you're going to Chicago, I would highly suggest taking the El and getting a cheaper hotel. It's really easy to navigate, although you might have some issues getting back because of the crowd leaving.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

You've heard of our current CTA crime problem? Actually, our all over the place crime problem hahaha. Ugh.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ng-arm-robbery

I can't recommend the CTA to the average tourist right now. The Metra is really safe, though.

just be sure to check the bed bug registry
    Last edited by allegro; 04-04-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    Thievery Corporation is pretty good live, if you like their sort of music.
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Really? I loooooove them.
    I've seen them twice. Early evening main stage at Coachella which admittedly was a stretch for them + my brother dragged me away for something else. They opened for Massive Attack and I'll probably get disowned here for this statement, but I thought Thievery Corporation was better than Massive Attack in a 1,700 cap. theater.

One week till I fly to Palm Springs. Really looking forward to 100+ degrees!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    One week till I fly to Palm Springs. Really looking forward to 100+ degrees!
    I was really hoping we'd get the cold weather again. That was ideal for me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So...anyone who likes folk/americana, vote for my cousin's band to play Bonnaroo!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Watching the Coachella webcast and just caught Victoria from Beach House get super irate at someone off to the side of the stage during a song, and seemed to have ended Irene a bit pre-maturely. I wonder what the hell happened there.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    The Quebec Summer Festival just announced its lineup.

The Black Keys, Bruno Mars, Tiësto, Wu-Tang Clan, Def Leppard, Weezer, Rush, Wiz Khalifa, MGMT, Foreigner, Bad Religion, Bassnectar, Belle & Sebastien, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, Passion Pit, Lisa Leblanc.

Very diversified. Might end going afterall.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Finally got my Pitchfork Fest tickets!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For those going to Reading and don't know who Biffy Clyro are, I just thought I'd post a link. I think they're pretty good..

EDIT: I put the wrong video in the tags, it's correct now.
    Last edited by JamesCmuse; 04-23-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    LouFest, St. Louis' indie rock festival going on three years, is having a game where they're having a letter announce the lineup everyday until next the official lineup announcement next week.

http://www.loufest.com/2013-lineup/

So far people have been going with the Killers, Wilco, The National, Alabama Shakes, Edward Sharpe and several others in that vein. Pretty lackluster stuff in my opinion. I love the National...but I with with the people behind Oshega and Lollapalooza apparently behind this now...if you're two biggest acts are Killers and Wilco, I'm not sure what to think really.

People have been saying Tame Impala and Toro y Moi could possibly be on the bill which is exciting...and that Wilco COULD be Bjork instead...which I wouldn't mind seeing her twice in one year....but with the rest of the twang-friendly acts playing so far on the bill...Wilco makes the most sense.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    The Shambhala line-ups were just released and look amazing! Going to have to miss it again, though, since it's the same weekend as Squamish... Maybe next year I'll finally get out there and experience it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Mountain Oasis FTW guys. NIN, HTDA, Gary Numan, GY!BE, Animal Collective, Chromatics, Tricky, The Bug, Zola Jesus, and Bassnectar. Unreal.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Mountain Oasis FTW guys. NIN, HTDA, Gary Numan, GY!BE, Animal Collective, Chromatics, Tricky, The Bug, Zola Jesus, and Bassnectar. Unreal.
    Don't forget about Robert DeLong! Damn, I love that guy! First saw him open for the Faint last November and have been following him ever since! He's got some wicked stuff. Lookin' forward to his set at Lolla. He's on every major festival this year. Guy's getting pretty recognized.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Austin City Limits knocked it out of the park this year:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I bought two tickets to the show. I can't pass up a show like this. No fucking way

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    ummmmm Mountain Oasis Electronic Music Summit just added BIOSPHERE HOLY SHIT. Best show ever, plus still to come. WTF. how can this thing get better?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Set times for Lollapalooza were released today. A few acts I want to see overlap, so I guess i'll have to do some planning.

http://lineup.lollapalooza.com/events/2013/08/02/

So far here's what I have:

* = Must see, everything else is just to fill the gaps based on the time blocks.

Robert DeLong - 12:15-1:00*
    San Cisco - 1:00-1:45
    Ghost (BC) - 2:15-3:15*
    Monsta - 3:15-4:15
    Crystal castles - 4:15-5:15*

After that probably just head over to the QOTSA/ NIN stage so I can score a good spot for Nails.
    QOTSA - 6:15-7:30
    NIN - 8:15-10*

Stuff that I would like to see, but conflicts with other stuff would be:
    New Order, Hot Chip and Brick & Mortar. But, I think I have a pretty good schedule for Friday.

As for Sunday, the other day I am attending. Pretty much just going for the Cure, but will also check out Alt-J and Dog Blood. Nothing else interests me.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    QOTSA vs New Order is the harshest conflict of the entire Lolla weekend, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Yeah, i'd rather see New Order, personally. However, i'm not gonna sacrifice a good spot for Nails. If I go anywhere close to the New Order stage, I won't be able to get anywhere close to see NIN's show that won't make them look like ants on a stage.

However, The Killers do have a pretty massive fanbase, so maybe NIN's area might let up a bit.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

The Festival Thread

New Order is missing Peter Hook, sooooooooo ...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I think the Killers crowd will be pretty busy. I would like to see NIN, but I may wait for the separate tour. I really want to see New Order and Hot Chip.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    New Order is missing Peter Hook, sooooooooo ...
    And Paul McCartney is missing the rest of The Beatles but people still go to see him

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    The Killers are great live, I saw them in Indy at a theatre a few years ago.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And Paul McCartney is missing the rest of The Beatles but people still go to see him
    Paul McCartney had successful a solo career and a band (Wings) after the Beatles, so bad analogy.

Have you seen New Order lately? A lot of us saw them in 2005 (twice!). Meh.

Last edited by allegro; 05-15-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    in all fairness, new order were NEVER a tremendous live band. barney can barely sing, though he sounds "fine" on record. if you watch a lot of the old footage, the band sounds rickety at times (though solid at others) but bernard's voice always is the biggest downside.

and that's at their peak...

that said, hook not being involved is a major downside to seeing new order in 2013. maybe the new guy can get the job done but that's a pretty key component to new order's sound. hook's parts aren't hard to play necessarily (i cut my bass chops on him and gallup without any lessons), but there's something to be said about the personality behind the playing.

i'm not defending hook, either. i feel that both camps are doing a fantastic job of tarnishing their legacy. press barbs between both camps, barney wearing their own t-shirts on stage, hook's joy division concerts and general attitude... it's all kind of embarrassing and the fact that the live show was never great kind of makes it worse.

long story short, new order are a complicated mess these days. unless you're forgiving or they're on your bucket list, you can probably pass on them and secure a solid spot for NIN.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-15-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I saw New Order last month at Coachella and they fucking killed it, I also saw them in 2005 and they were good then. They are a legacy act and I wouldn't mind seeing them againwith or without Hook (I'll be seeing them in July as well). Any of you downplaying their shows because Peter Hook is gone should actually see them live before you press judgement.

If I go to Lolla, which is still a possibility, I'd go:

Friday: IO Echo>Icona Pop>Ghost BC>Father John Misty>Band of Horses>Thievery Co>QotSA>NIN
    Saturday: Pujol>Charles Bradley>Local Natives>The National>Death Grips>Postal Service
    Sunday: Jake Bugg>Baroness>Wavves>Vampire Weekend>The Cure

Bullshit that Vampire Weekend conflicts with Grizzly Bear and Beach House, also two hours isn't nearly enough time for The Cure.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    the two of us downplaying their live show have seen them, KC. hook being gone is just the icing on the cake, as they are generally underwhelming. it was just an OK show, at best.

the vocals at 2:20-->2:30 are just dire. didn't get much further than that.

honestly they're one of my all time favorites, so i'm not hating on them for no good reason. new order and jesus and mary chain are two of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen live. my bloody valentine are way up there, too.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    the two of us downplaying their live show have seen them, KC. hook being gone is just the icing on the cake, as they are generally underwhelming. it was just an OK show, at best.

the vocals at 2:20-->2:30 are just dire. didn't get much further than that.

honestly they're one of my all time favorites, so i'm not hating on them for no good reason. new order and jesus and mary chain are two of the biggest disappointments i've ever seen live. my bloody valentine are way up there, too.
    That clip doesn't do him justice. The band sounded great and had more energy and the crowd was pretty electric.

I totally disagree with you on all accounts. Having seen New Order, JAMC, and MBV within the past four years, all of those shows were great. MBV nearly destroyed my hearing and JAMC put on as professional as a show as possible. No fighting, no miscues, they killed it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Paul McCartney had successful a solo career and a band (Wings) after the Beatles, so bad analogy.

Have you seen New Order lately? A lot of us saw them in 2005 (twice!). Meh.

Well, you know, some of us HAVEN'T ever seen New Order and still would like to cross that off of our bucket lists regardless of if some of you weren't satisfied with the multiple performances that you saw.