Page 5 of 156 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halloween View Post
    yeah i'm sure this isn't new, but it's news to me. no one goes around telling me these things heh, so i know i shouldn't be surprised but it's weird reading about it so explicitly.
    That's probably good, though; this is a Teachable Moment, heh heh. :-)

If you (or anybody else, here) isn't aware of how nearly everything you do online or related to commerce is tracked, now is better than never to find out. You're being tracked, all the time, solely for money and profit. Facebook? It's not there for your enjoyment; it's a profit and data-mining venture. Every time you use a credit or debit card, or a grocery store discount card, your behavior was tracked. Since the data is being used solely for marketing and capitalism, it isn't considered nefarious. This teen getting the pregnancy coupons from Target was in Target's "system," somehow; her spending at Target was tracked, so she must have a Target Red Card. I have a Target Red Card and that's the only way I get coupons.

Forbes' "Data mining into your womb" - Ugh, Shame on you, Forbes. So a guy buys more toilet paper than usual, a tube of Preparation H and a new chair cushion, so Target's computer determines customer probably has hemmerhoids and gives him coupon for Tucks. So then Target is "Data Mining Up Somebody's Ass."
    Last edited by allegro; 02-20-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Communism Cookies

Earlier this year when someone told me that they felt like the United States government was waging a war against
    women I thought it was a overreaction. I think I'd rather have young girls "sexualized" through girls scouts than by
    television. It seems females are not allowed to have self-esteem, I started my day with an NPR report on Middle Eastern
    acid attacks on women. I had heard of those before but didn't realize they were so prevalent. I'm just disgusted.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iran_Ed View Post

Earlier this year when someone told me that they felt like the United States government was waging a war against
    women I thought it was a overreaction.
    I've definitely felt like this all month. When the frontrunners for the Presidential election are saying what they are saying, it just feels unprecedented and its all rather depressing.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    That's probably good, though; this is a Teachable Moment, heh heh. :-)

If you (or anybody else, here) isn't aware of how nearly everything you do online or related to commerce is tracked, now is better than never to find out. You're being tracked, all the time, solely for money and profit. Facebook? It's not there for your enjoyment; it's a profit and data-mining venture. Every time you use a credit or debit card, or a grocery store discount card, your behavior was tracked. Since the data is being used solely for marketing and capitalism, it isn't considered nefarious. This teen getting the pregnancy coupons from Target was in Target's "system," somehow; her spending at Target was tracked, so she must have a Target Red Card. I have a Target Red Card and that's the only way I get coupons.

Forbes' "Data mining into your womb" - Ugh, Shame on you, Forbes. So a guy buys more toilet paper than usual, a tube of Preparation H and a new chair cushion, so Target's computer determines customer probably has hemmerhoids and gives him coupon for Tucks. So then Target is "Data Mining Up Somebody's Ass."
    Yeah, it's one of the reasons i quit facebook a while ago, and i'm actually in the process of phasing out my gmail account even... everything that becomes so "massive" in a sense, becomes questionable. Also, i just learned today how to delete my google search history, haha.

In reply to the war on women conversation...Coincidentally, today out of the sheer pain in my shoulders, i decided to give up bras forever (and now buy shirts that allow me to do it, and also i'm pretty flat chested to begin with.) and then i realized i was more of a feminist than i realized. (...this was on my way to a lecture on women in photography and of course the feminist ones. mmm.)
    Last edited by halloween; 02-22-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: i love editting.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    aw, yeah awesome, bras are torture devices! (they do fight gravity, though)

how do you delete Google search history? share with the class! :-)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quite simple really- https://www.google.com/history/
    It'll prompt you to log in of course. Then after you delete it apparently "pauses" the saving of further search entries. I wonder if it unpauses at some point...either way, i'm going to try to remember to be logged out of my google account most of the time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Loyola Chicago (where I got my paralegal Grad Cert) sent us an email this morning re a symposium they're hosting about IT security, and it included this link:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/0...y-takes-effect

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2012/...er-police.html

Ex Cop robs bank in order to get caught and receive federal prison health benefits

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Google to record your web browsing history, and combine it with data from their other programs. read it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...CiR_story.html

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure I'm alone on this here, but he will be missed, such a shame to die so young. Rest in peace Breitbart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    I'm sure I'm alone on this here, but he will be missed, such a shame to die so young. Rest in peace Breitbart.
    My condolences to the family. I'll take the Jewish route and hope that he has no existence after death. He was not beneficial to our society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ya, and I would completely disagree, he took on the people not beneficial to our society.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, like Shirley Sherrod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, he sure did. I just hope someone can fill his place. The left has played with a different set of rules for decades and he showed us that we don't have to take it anymore. What he helped do to scum like ACORN, to that moron Anthony Weiner, all of it, was amazing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Obviously, you didn't pick up on my sarcasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh I picked it up.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Volt Phantom View Post
    What he helped do to scum like ACORN
    Oh, you mean that video that the district attorney deemed was heavily edited with portions of the video spliced together out of context? You mean that one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is ACORN still an organization? Weren't they going to do the census?

Editing or no editing, the videos did their job. It's laughable to hear that kind of response from someone that supports a party that has utilized editing and out of context quotes for ages anyway. I'm pretty sure liberal god Michael Moore has made his whole career off of that shit.

By the way, it's a real shocker that a Democrat attorney general from Massachusetts would find a way to side with ACORN, I mean I was totally surprised by that.
    Last edited by 50 Volt Phantom; 03-01-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Um...except no one is making a blanket generalization about the right here. At all. We're talking about Breitbart. You are the one making absurd blanket generalizations based on one person (Moore). And you're defending Breitbart while calling Michael Moore out for the same thing.

And for the record, I can't stand Michael Moore for that very reason. I don't care what side you're on, if you're taking things out of context and editing them in a dishonest way, you're a scumbag who can't be trusted. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In all honesty I question O'Keefe's methods on these stings, but I enjoy the results, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Ah, so being dishonest is ok in your book. Got it. Duly noted.
    Last edited by theruiner; 03-02-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ACORN still did what they did, nothing dishonest about it, it happened at multiple locations too. Democrats know all about dishonesty, so I don't see what the problem is.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Glittering Generalities!!

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A racist EU advert
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...t-attack-video
    How the hell did this video get a green light? Ridiculous.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This is the first I've heard of this ever happening.

California man arrested in killing of girlfriend with cannon

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I dont find it racist just stupid