Page 89 of 156 FirstFirst ... 39 79 87 88 89 90 91 99 139 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 4667

Thread: Random General Headlines

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    On another note, Democrats are staging a sit-in in Congress over gun control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...nckgsmslxwp14i

Elizabeth Warren joined in recently.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    it's another thing if those people are arrested or detained with no due process and this becomes "let's turn in that Muslim down the street."
    Ironically, the only gay club in the city I grew up in shut down after less than 2 years because people were constantly calling the cops on them, hoping someone was underage or doing something gay and illegal, if nothing else knowing that simply calling the cops on them would serve as a threat/harassment to make sure we know we're not welcome.
    If we had a law in place saying "if you think someone might be a secret muslim terrorist that's here to destroy america, tell us!" I have NO doubt that it would end up being used in the same way.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Ironically, the only gay club in the city I grew up in shut down after less than 2 years because people were constantly calling the cops on them, hoping someone was underage or doing something gay and illegal, if nothing else knowing that simply calling the cops on them would serve as a threat/harassment to make sure we know we're not welcome.
    On a sort of related note... a friend of mine posted a story online in the wake of the shootings, about how when he was underage he and some other straight friends snuck into a gay bar with some bad fake IDs. They went to the bar and ordered drinks, and noticed that the bartender looked concerned. They knew the bartender could tell that they were underage, that he could tell they were nervous that they'd get kicked out because they were doing a bad job of acting like they were old enough to drink.

Instead, the bartender brought them their beers and tried to make them feel at home. He tried to make them relax and feel comfortable. He realized that the bartender wasn't worried because they were going to get shut down for serving underage patrons, but because they looked freaked out and nervous, and he'd never seen them before. He asked about them and told them they were safe there. He realized that in a lot of ways this was a refuge for people who were being oppressed and made to feel unwelcome elsewhere. He got that the bartender thought they were freaked out because that's how a lot of younger gay people must feel when they embrace who they are, wandering into something unknown. On a level he felt like he and his friends were desecrating something sacred by risking the bar being shut down just so they could go out and get drunk.

It would probably help if more people had an eye-opening experience like that.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 06-23-2016 at 03:57 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)

Random General Headlines

Until she is actually charged with a crime, she is free to do whatever she wants.
    None of this is stopping the govt from putting enough surveillance on her so that they don't lose her.

Not only does it seem like she has some bad involvement in the crime, but the shooter promised future attacks. The FBI could be learning about impending attacks here but nah... they have been paying so little attention to her that they don't even know where she is. Let alone enough surveillance to actually catch her communicating with other possible terrorists.

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    None of this is stopping the govt from putting enough surveillance on her so that they don't lose her.
    You'd think they would have. But I'm hearing my libertarian friends (sorry for the anecdote) whine about how it's ok that she completely got away because we shouldn't be spying on her!

It's like these people have never read a Sherlock story or watched an episode of NCIS. You can prevent shit if you collect evidence and connect the dots. But if you have a problem with the collection of evidence, which in every sane person's world we should, then you need to still insist that we connect the remaining dots. And we don't. Because we're fucking stupid...

We over over-inundate our information networks with stupid bullshit, and then we attack them for not following up?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post

Not only does it seem like she has some bad involvement in the crime, but the shooter promised future attacks. The FBI could be learning about impending attacks here but nah... they have been paying so little attention to her that they don't even know where she is. Let alone enough surveillance to actually catch her communicating with other possible terrorists.
    There is no evidence at all, so far, that she knows anything or was involved. A guy claiming to be the killer's former gay FWB insists this was revenge made to seem like terrorism, and the shooter was targeting gay Puerto Ricans.

Mateen was "terrified" of being HIV positive and felt rage toward Puerto Rican gay men possibly because of a sexual incident. Mateen had sex with two Puerto Rican men, and one later said he was HIV positive, Miguel said.

"He adored Latinos, gay Latinos, with brown skin — but he felt rejected," Miguel told Univision. "He felt used by them — there were moments in the Pulse nightclub that made him feel really bad. Guys used him. That really affected him."

Miguel recalled a conversation with Mateen. "When I asked him what he was going to do now, his answer was 'I'm going to make them pay for what they did to me,'" he told Univision.
    And he deliberately spared black people.

After hanging up the phone with 911, Patience says Mateen asked the hostages in the bathroom if there were any black people in the room.

“Are there any black people in here?,” Carter says Mateen said.

Though Patience says she was too afraid to answer, another African American man spoke up and said yes, to which Mateen responded his issue was not with black people and that they have suffered enough.

“He said are there any black people in here. I was too afraid to answer, but there was an African American male in the stall where the majority of my body was, and he said, ‘Yes, there are about six or seven of us.’ And the gunman responded back to him saying, ‘You know, I don’t have a problem with black people. This is about my country. You guys have suffered enough.’ He made a statement saying this wasn’t about black people, the reason why he was doing this.”
    Last edited by allegro; 06-22-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    I read last week that she drove him to buy ammo and knew he was going to do something. Granted that was in the first few days of the attack and our media doesn't verify information anymore before reporting it. He also put things in her name, their house, life insurance. I feel like these are reasons to keep a close watch on her.

I just can't believe she didn't know his intentions but that's my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    I read last week that she drove him to buy ammo and knew he was going to do something. Granted that was in the first few days of the attack and our media doesn't verify information anymore before reporting it. He also put things in her name, their house, life insurance. I feel like these are reasons to keep a close watch on her.

I just can't believe she didn't know his intentions but that's my problem.
    Again, mere KNOWLEDGE itself isn't enough to be a crime. You have to "aid and abet" and giving somebody a ride to the gun store to buy ammo probably isn't enough if she was also giving him a ride to the grocery store or going everywhere else with him. They have to show that she "knowingly did something to aid or assist" in his doing something where she knew the results. He was a security guard for a living and carried a loaded gun on him all the time for his job. The shooter allegedly also told his former gay lover that he was going to "do something" to "make [gay Puerto Ricans] pay" and the former lover was questioned by the FBI. Mere knowledge isn't enough to be a crime. You have to have helped them do it in some way (aid and abet). If knowledge were a crime, nobody would ever report anything to the authorities ever again for fear of being arrested due to "knowledge." Arresting people for not reporting stuff is what the Nazis did during WWII. We have to be very careful how we think about this.

Just because the shooter put things in her name and took out life insurance does not mean she had knowledge of this; he could have quit claimed the house to her without her even knowing it; he could have taken out a life insurance policy totally without her knowledge; the FBI has to gather evidence to prove that she knew it and was complicit in it. And that takes time; you can't arrest somebody before the grand jury reviews the evidence. "Keeping an eye on her" is surveillance of a currently-innocent person and they weren't even doing that to HER HUSBAND.

I still think the shooter's father had something to do with the wife and baby's sudden "disappearance."
    Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    They probably did lift it... the band opened for Led Zeppelin on a tour before they released the song. Still, it's different enough, and it's always lame to reward a blatant cash grab from the estate of a deceased musician who never pursued the claim while he was alive.

Still, Zeppelin were kind of notorious for questionable plagiarism.

Also...

Last edited by Jinsai; 06-23-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    They probably did lift it...
    LZ had a musicologist expert witness who compared it to another folk song and said nothing is truly original (the below song is from 1963).

Also, Stairway was not written at Bron-Yr-Aur; it was written at Headley Grange.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-23-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    More Tix for Ticketmaster vouches have been released get-em now. I was able to get every show I wanted to work.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I missed out on using a voucher for Black Sabbath, AGAIN
    Last edited by kdrcraig; 06-24-2016 at 07:16 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    I missed out on using a voucher for Black Sabbath, AGAIN
    Oh wtf, I guess I did, too, since I didn't know until this second.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was stalking the website Thursday late night. They posted a notice Wednesday that said they would have more tix on Thursday and surprise released them little at a time from 10PM -11pm Eastern. I was hauling hay all day Wednesday though Thursday Morning and realized what was happening about 9 pm sorry I did not think to post sooner.

So far I got

Heart Joan Jet
    Zombie Korn
    Slipknot Manson
    ZZ Top

Blink 182 for my sister in law
    Zombie Korn for my brother in law in Ohio
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 06-24-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ticketmaster update :

UPDATE JUNE 24 2:00 PM EDT Over the course of this week, over $10m worth of ticket vouchers have been redeemed and the eligible events have been closed. Please check back periodically for event listings as we anticipate making additional inventory available next week.

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 06-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html
    FBI haven't found any evidence that Omar had any gay lovers or contacted anyone via gay dating apps. They also haven't found anything linking him to members of ISIS.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html
    FBI haven't found any evidence that Omar had any gay lovers or contacted anyone via gay dating apps. They also haven't found anything linking him to members of ISIS.
    Interesting.
    Kevin West, 29, a Navy veteran and Pulse regular, said Mateen messaged him on Jack’d and also said he recognized him entering the club on the night of the shooting. After the attack, West turned his phone and app passwords over to police and FBI investigators. He said Mateen didn’t reveal his name, but he recognized him from the photo Mateen had posted on the app, which matched one of the gunman released after the shooting.

On Thursday, he dismissed federal investigators’ doubts.

“No one is lying about him being on there,” West said of the gay apps, adding that “once you have the app and delete your profile, it’s gone.”

West said the focus should be on keeping guns out of the hands of potentially violent people.

“People died by that man’s hands and [the] only thing this country is concerned about is if he is gay or not,” West said.

Cord Cedeno, 23, another Pulse regular, insisted he saw Mateen at Pulse months before the shooting and messaged with him on Grindr for a short time, but eventually blocked him because he would only send photos and say “Hi.” Cedeno said he has no reason to doubt accounts from other Pulse regulars who have said they had seen Mateen visit the club in the past.

“The FBI obviously is trying to cover up their information,” he said of gay men who reported being contacted by Mateen. “I can go take a lie detector test. I know for a fact Omar messaged me.”

Cedeno said he did not contact police to tell them about his contact with Mateen, because some of his friends who did had their phones taken and were told not to talk to reporters. He said he doesn’t trust the FBI to investigate Mateen, given they questioned him in 2013 and again in 2014, placed him on a terrorist watch list but then removed him from the list.

“They let him go. They let him do this massacre. They could have arrested him. It just does not add up,” Cedeno said.

Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    The FBI is apparently astoundingly incompetent.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    There was an attack on an airport in Istanbul with at least 28 confirmed dead.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36658187

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Great Commentary, How Ruth Bader Ginsberg just won the next abortion fight.

This portion of Breyer's opinion looks like a clean sweep for Ginsburg and the dissenters in the prior case. But here's the rub: Breyer's distinction is a fragile one, given the language and outcome in Gonzales, so he buttressed it by noting that the Texas legislature hadn't even made any findings in the current law. Uh-oh. A bunch more laws like Texas’ law are waiting in the wings in lower courts. And Alabama's law, for example, includes a long recitation of legislative findings.

And that's where Ginsburg weighed in with one of her signature futuristic concurring opinions. When the news broke that RBG was concurring, the initial reaction was puzzlement. Why would Ginsburg need to write separately from a pro-choice opinion by her liberal colleague Breyer? Looking at her concurrence, however, the explanation is clear.

The concurrence is less than two pages. She dismisses Texas’ argument about its interest in protecting “the health of women who experience complications from abortions” by countering that “complications from an abortion are both rare and rarely dangerous.” She recites a laundry list of studies of how safe abortion is, and then she delivers the message: “So long as this Court adheres to Roe V. Wade, 410 U. S. 113 (1973), and Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pa. v. Casey, 505 U. S. 833 (1992), Targeted Regulation of Abortion Providers laws like H.B. 2 that ‘do little or nothing for health, but rather strew impediments to abortion,’ Planned Parenthood of Wis., 806 F. 3d, at 921, cannot survive judicial inspection.” (Emphasis added.)

She is writing into law the factual finding that abortion is safe, full stop. When the court turns to the Alabama law, with its “finding” that women need abortion to be restricted, she wants that future court to be able to cite to her opinion that they do not.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    it begins... 4 officers killed.. 10 wounded

http://beta.dallasnews.com/news/news...ilando-castile

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    5 Officers lost their lives
    6 Officers wounded
    1 Civilian wounded
    3 Suspects in custody
    1 Suspect dies by self inflicted gunshot
    1 Man Seen with AR-15 was interviewed and let go by DPD after turning himself in**

Source:
    https://www.reddit.com/live/x7xfgo3k9jp7/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/08/dallas-shooting-two-police-officers-wounded-as-shots-fired-at-ra/

One of the suspects said that he was angry over the recent shootings and wanted to kill white people, especially white officers.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    This is madness. I'm at a loss for words.