Thread: Random General Headlines

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    The collectible card game Magic: The Gathering just banned seven racist cards, including one called Invoke Prejudice (1994), which prominently features Klan members in its card image and was, in fact, drawn by a bona fide white supremacist.
    Perhaps I am missing the point. But perhaps not. You can not erase racism from history by attempting to alter what has already happened. Moving forward, it seems wise to allow references of racism to remain as an example of what to avoid in the future.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    You cannot erase history, no. No one's asking for that or expecting the erasure of racism from history to result from this. ...

So, can't this move just be okay? Isn't this concession small enough to allow without protest?
    I respect your elucidation regarding this matter, you are far more informed than I am. Although I do agree in principal regarding this specific example; I remain cautions and alert in general to unwise reactions which attempt to make history more comfortable. It's just something I am quite sensitive to.
    Last edited by zero; 06-11-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: punctuation

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    You cannot erase history, no.
    Germany has zero iconography commemorating Hitler or the Third Reich. The history cannot be erased, but they will not celebrate it.*

The KKK game card feels commemorative. That’s the problem.

* Note, however, that Germany DOES have monuments to honor resisters.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-11-2020 at 10:02 PM.