Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Park it Like it's Hot: the Car Thread

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimie View Post
    After 15 years of driving diesel cars I'm now in a gas car and so beyond paranoid I am going to be on autopilot someday and put diesel in it.
    The nozzles are different sizes. No worries.

jaimie Guest
    I have heard that before but I have seen 3 different size diesel pumps. There are the massive ones at truck stops, the midsize that are typically at the pumps that are on "islands" and the smaller size that tend to be on the pumps that include both diesel and regular gas. I have never tried it so I am not sure but supposedly there are restrictors which will prevent you from inserting a diesel pump into a gas car so hopefully that is true.

I can't tell you how many times people would rush over and try to stop me from putting diesel in my car thinking I was making a mistake so if by chance it does happen hopefully one of those good samaritans will come to my aid.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I've had the same daily driver for over 11 years now- loaded 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Also have a toy, lightly modified '06 GTO.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Edit.........
    Last edited by Krazy; 01-05-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post

2002 Trans Am WS6. Great car, I love the looks, it's a beast.

I also drive my work horse, the reliable 1993 Honda Accord 2dr. (the greatest engineered car). I need to get a nice photo of it.

You on the GTO forum with the same user name?...

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Some pictoral evidence:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimie View Post
    I have heard that before but I have seen 3 different size diesel pumps. There are the massive ones at truck stops, the midsize that are typically at the pumps that are on "islands" and the smaller size that tend to be on the pumps that include both diesel and regular gas. I have never tried it so I am not sure but supposedly there are restrictors which will prevent you from inserting a diesel pump into a gas car so hopefully that is true.

I can't tell you how many times people would rush over and try to stop me from putting diesel in my car thinking I was making a mistake so if by chance it does happen hopefully one of those good samaritans will come to my aid.
    The nozzle won't even fit in your gas tank, it's too large. Don't worry

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Hey Levi, check this guy out! Hyundai is really cranking out the fun cars and I look forward to the release of this guy (that front end looks aggressive!) Sadly it's still using the 1.6L engine from the accent though

http://m.jalopnik.com/5874125/2013-hyu...ow-photos-info

Tapatapa?

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    Hey Levi, check this guy out!
    When shopping for Melissa's car, we basically narrowed it down to a used Mini Cooper, a new Veloster, and she was curious about the new Prius C, based on the concept (although I assumed the production car wouldn't look anything like the concept, and that turned out to be the case). Since her primary concern is fuel economy, I don't think she'd be interested in a turbocharged Veloster. I'm not a big fan of the big-mouth grilles on the hybrid Sonata or this new Veloster though, aesthetically speaking.

Having said that, we got the Cooper S because, well, it was there and it was sharp. That turned out to be a lucky break all around, given that she wanted an automatic transmission (city driving). Apparently the standard auto tranny on Minis is a really horrible failure-prone CVT - which costs > $5k to replace - but the 06 Cooper S has a much more reliable 6-speed Aisin auto. And, bonus, apparently the 2006 is considered the best year of Mini Cooper to buy. While I find the reviews overly gushing ("MOST FUN CAR EVER") it certainly seems like a slick car so far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    My baby:

Last edited by butters; 01-10-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    The nozzle won't even fit in your gas tank, it's too large. Don't worry
    I get this a lot.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Your mini looks awesome in white! I was thinking about getting one of those before getting the Mazdaspeed (I would have gone with a turbo ver. over the supercharger) but settled on the MS3 since I needed more space. How much get-up-and-go does the auto have?

Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Your mini looks awesome in white! I was thinking about getting one of those before getting the Mazdaspeed (I would have gone with a turbo ver. over the supercharger) but settled on the MS3 since I needed more space. How much get-up-and-go does the auto have?
    It's slow off the line, but zips along once the RPMs start to get up there. I'm used to the feel and sound of the Magnum, so when I'm in the Mini, I feel like I've still got a ways to go before getting up to speed, but I look down and I'm already doing 90 :| The auto has a sport mode that changes the shift points & enable the paddle shifters. I believe that with the right tools, you can change the redline on the car, and the tach reflects that change. *shrug*

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butters View Post
    My baby:

Slick. Slick.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    I drive this thing:

It's a 2001 New Beetle. It has numerous issues, breaks often, has faulty wiring that kill my lights frequently, and I hate baseball; but I got it for free, and it is hilarious to drive around and see reactions. It's also great on gas, which is nice. I love the stupid thing.
    Laugh out loud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Darktemp - how did you get it for free? Promo giveaway or something?
    I got it from my stepfather since he had no use for it. He got it from a guy he knew that did all the custom work on it, mainly as a way to promote his sports bar he owns. Ended up not using it much because he needed his pickup truck far more for work. It sat and did nothing for over a year, and so he gave it to me if I could come up with the repair money. It's had plenty of issues but it's fun as hell to drive. I get people at stores asking if they can take a picture, people giving my thumbs up driving it, I even had a guy get out of his car at a red light and take a picture (I thought I was gonna get robbed). I'm surprised I haven't caused an accident yet. People know my car before they know me, if I meet someone I ask if they have seen the Baseball as an ice breaker.

The interior is all leather and set up to look like baseball gloves (the seats) and the steering wheel is a baseball cover, the stick shift is a baseball, and the emergency brake is a Cracker Jack baseball bat. I'll post some pics of the inside next time I'm out. It's hilarious.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Not gonna lie, that VW sounds awesome. Pix please!

Tapatapa?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by butters
    My baby:

<My Jeep>
    Slick. Slick.
    Many thanks. Sometime earlier this year I decided "Screw gas millage, I've always wanted this car." Soooo happy with my decision and I'm not even a "car guy." I just freakin' love it.

EDIT: And I'm not into baseball either, but that VW sounds AWESOME!!
    Last edited by butters; 01-11-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So we bought a brand new 2012 scion XB today! this thing is ace and my wife loves it! It's pretty much gonna be her car. That I pay for... hmmmm hows that work?!

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    So almost two years ago I stopped by the Mazda dealership that sold me my Mazdaspeed6 and asked them for a Mazda "Zoom-zoom" flag. I told them about our traveling NIN head (well, more or less a brief rundown haha) and how I wanted to do something along the same lines with the Mazda flag. He thought it was a great idea and gave me a HUGE dealership flag. Well, its been nearly a year and half now and the flag is finally back in my hands with a truck load of signatures. I'm about to get it prep'd for shipment to MazdaUSA just as soon as I collect all the pictures from it's tour around the world and get one last photo with the dealership that hooked me up with the flag

and I LOL'd at the Homeland Security tape.....guess the box was opened at some point during one of its trips across the ocean

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 01-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That flag is awesome. This whole thread is awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I want to get a new car (I have a '97 Camry), and I was thinking about getting a used hot hatch, probably a 3-door because they're cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Not sure what your price range is, how much you drive, etc - but best advice I can give you is to go to a dealer of your marque of choice and look for a three year old car that's just come off a three-year lease. You'll know it's been maintained, previous owner probably took great care to avoid getting nailed with check-out charges at the end of the lease, and the dealership may give you the rest of the new-car warranty (ie 5-yr when new, you get the 2-yr left on the 3-yr old car) Huge savings for a car that's probably still got tons of life left.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't have a preference of make, I was hoping for some guidance on that.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    I want to get a new car (I have a '97 Camry), and I was thinking about getting a used hot hatch, probably a 3-door because they're cheaper. Anyone have any suggestions?
    When you say you want a hot hatch does that mean you want one that looks good or one that's fast?

In other news, I finally managed to clean the speed3 last week and man does she look good

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 01-18-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fast.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hatch

In fact, your Mazda3 is a good example of what I mean, but I'd probably get a 3 door car, instead of 5.
    Last edited by heroicraptor; 01-19-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heroicraptor View Post
    Fast.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_hatch

In fact, your Mazda3 is a good example of what I mean, but I'd probably get a 3 door car, instead of 5.
    Just wanted to clarify

Now, here is what I would recommend:

VW GTi / R32
    Comes with a Turbocharged 4cyl or non-turbo VR6 engine a friend of mine had a limited edition 2002 GTi that was turbo'd and it was auto, but they also come with a six speed manual tranny. The R32 comes with a twin turbo 1.4L i4 engine with the 2007 body style

2002 model

2007 model - was never a real fan of this version since I feel it looks really dumb'd down and non-aggressive

2010 model - the brought the aggression back

Volvo C30
    turbocharged I5 engine - these things are a blast, but a pain in the ass to work on much like the GTi / R32

Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 01-19-2012 at 03:05 AM.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Subaru WRX STi
    Its a five door, but these things are crazy fast. If I didnt own the MS3, I would have one of these.....in white......
    305HP from a tuned turbocharged 4cyl engine

Mazdaspeed 3
    Another 5dr but these are a cheaper alternative to the STi and still manage to put down 263HP out of a turbocharged 4cyl DISI engine. These are highly tuneable and can hit the mid 300's with bolt ons.

GenWon (my model)

GenPu (the one with the ugly smile)

Ford Focus RS (lol)
    You'll have to import one from Mexico but if you do, you'll be the talk of your town for sure. I LOVE this car....
    305HP Turbocharged i5 engine

this is all I can think of at the moment but ill add more to the list when I've had more sleep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    why do you have to import a ford focus from mexico?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Subaru was my first choice when I went looking last time. My criteria was: fast + small + low + AWD, and I strongly considered a 2010 STI 5-door. Our 6-year-old Legacy wagon is still rock solid and has been unstoppable in any weather.

Grab a copy of the current year Consumer Reports auto ratings, that's a good place to browse offerings with reasonably accurate opinions.

Lots of Honda Civic hatchbacks out there, but your experience may vary. I am no fan of the current Civic.

A three-year old Honda Accord coupe might be the right thing for you (similar size to the Camry)

Definitely stop by a Subaru dealer. I am completely sold on AWD and they all have it (at the moment)

Audis are ridiculously cool, VW in there too. Some durability questions but I have not personally experienced anything bad. yet.

Nissan is a question mark. I had one for four years and the mechanicals were solid - great engine, handling - but some general stuff failed that was completely unexpected... bad design in the window motors led to random failures, headlights that were strangely dim, a crack that appeared in the cover of the tach gauge for no apparent reason, etc. It's like there was a random cheapness scattered throughout the thing. I really enjoyed that car but I am not sure I'd recommend a Nissan.