Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Considering the show's historical treatment of deities (or those claiming to be), any allusion to god or heaven is subterfuge for Moffat's new Mary Sue

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I think it's interesting that there's probably going to be a little scene with her and that place every week, to build up the "who the fuck is this" factor. Reminds me of the "arc words" from RTD's time running the show, though obviously much less subtle.

This week's episode was great - it put a lot into the "Doctor and Clara and how they work around each other now" bucket. Twelve is a huge dick and that's awesome, and Clara tries her best to make him not seem like that huge a dick, which is also awesome.

Danny Pink is also likely going to be awesome as well. Can't wait for him to hop on the TARDIS, since that's probably where we're going with that.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    I think the 'she cares so I don't have to' is one of my favorite lines the Doctor has ever said.
    One of mine too. It all ties in so neatly with him asking her "Am I a good person?" and Rusty telling him "You're the good Dalek". And I love the expression on the Doctor's face when he realized that all that Rusty has learned from him was hate.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I feel the lady at the end of these is going to either be The Master or a boring deus ex machina though.
    What I noticed about her is this: the two people we saw going to "heaven" ended up there after having a talk about self sacrifice with the Doctor and ending up dying because of what he told them. There is something there...

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Clearly she's supposed to be God, they just couldn't afford to pay Alanis Morissette.
    I see what you did there! :P

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    Twelve is a huge dick and that's awesome, and Clara tries her best to make him not seem like that huge a dick, which is also awesome.
    Twelve is being Hartnell but a bit less grouchy imo, I like the idea that the older gentlemen get to be a bit meaner because they're not appealing to demographic X with a pretty face.

(Though Capaldi is still pretty)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Still hurts that he didn't call the Daleks "toilet-plunger-todgered fucks" or similar. It's going to be a long time before I stop seeing him as Malcolm Tucker with a new mode of transport.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    Still hurts that he didn't call the Daleks "toilet-plunger-todgered fucks" or similar. It's going to be a long time before I stop seeing him as Malcolm Tucker with a new mode of transport.
    If you haven't seen this, this might be for you:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    *Searches frantically for the "ultra-like" button.*

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I'm not sold on the Missy/Heaven thing yet. I did like story arc a few seasons ago with creepy eye patch lady, but this one feels....it's hard to describe. Over the top? Kind of cheesy? It doesn't give me goosebumps or make me rack my brain trying to figure it out - I feel like I'd be perfectly content if the whole thing just disappeared and I never saw it again.

Otherwise, I did like that episode. From the beginning, I figured I would really like Capaldi's Doctor. And I do. But I think this episode was a big step forward from the premier. Very eager to see how he progresses.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I'm not sold on the Missy/Heaven thing yet. I did like story arc a few seasons ago with creepy eye patch lady, but this one feels....it's hard to describe. Over the top? Kind of cheesy? It doesn't give me goosebumps or make me rack my brain trying to figure it out - I feel like I'd be perfectly content if the whole thing just disappeared and I never saw it again. .
    I think the biggest problem is that absolutely nothing of value has been shown/given when it comes to knowing just what is going on. The characters she interacts with aren't ones we as an audience are attached to or care about, and everything that happens in those 2 scenes so far is so vague and intentionally saying "Try to figure this out, go on, come up with theories and pick it apart and understand it," when the only reason we've been given to care is the fact that we're being told to care.

Hopefully it gets more interesting, or at least leads to something interesting, because at the moment I'm totally with you.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    What intrigued me the most was that the first guy to die wasn't sent there - so either the robot dude killed himself and it's only self-made deaths that send you there, or there's a specific group of people that the woman wants

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I forgot how much I like this. I'm normally not a fan of Dalek offshoot type stuff, but this is terrific.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I was fully prepared to not enjoy this week's episode based on the preview, but man, that was a lot of fun and even I can't argue that. There were some very silly, dumb aspects of it, but the basic premise was already that way, so I'm not going to complain.

Capaldi is moving his way up the ranks of my favorite Doctors way too fast and I'm almost worried for Tennant, if he stays this good and stays for more than just a season or two, I might have a new number 1. This is his first real "fun" one, and the way he interacted with everything was a blast to watch (the whole thing about his head rolling on the floor, still laughing made me almost die in my seat).

Next week's looks great; I've always loved the creepy/scary ones the most (Blink, Midnight, The Empty Child, etc.), so this looks right up my alley.

They're doing a wonderful job at variety this season. Within the first 4 episodes Capaldi is getting a Victorian London one, a Dalek episode, an historical fun one, and a darker one. The variety is fantastic and has allowed each week to feel fresh and unique, and it's giving this Doctor a great chance to quickly and confidently show off his range and how he behaves in different settings.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    good fun. ending was fucking stupid, but so are a great deal of things in doctor who

I recall at the q&a after the first episode premiere, capaldi advocated returning to tenth planet style cybermen, moffat wasn't too happy. Seriously fuck him & bring them back... they were so creepy, more like zombies whereas since the 80s they've been more like borg stormtroopers (which was good in earthshock but shit since then)

Can I get some top tens?

no order
    1. genesis of the daleks
    2. the krotons
    3. the daleks
    4. sontaran experiment
    5. the chase (it's shit, I know)
    6. earthshock
    7. vengeance on varos
    8. inferno
    9. survival
    10. aaru movies

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Did anyone catch the Jon Pertwee "haiiii!" when he karate chopped the sword out of Robin's hand early on? Soooo many kinds of gasm.
    Loved the episode. Hilarious and super-enjoyable.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    also pat troughton played robin hood in the 60s series, and when they were cycling through the various depictions of robin hood, a picture of him briefly appeared

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I've been too shit to keep up with this doctor who so far (still haven't caught up with the last Matt Smith series), but will probably try and watch this weeks since it seems like a stand alone.
    Here's Peter Capaldi playing Sherlock in a comedy sketch show

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    my fiancee and i were cracking up through pretty much the whole episode, it was fantastic.

mark gatiss is probably my favorite writer (for doctor who and for pretty much any show/movie in which he's involved) and i love how much passion he has for FUN.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking Christ.

Listen just beat the shit out of the rest of the season so far. It may have beat the shit out of a ton of other Moffat mid-series episodes, actually.

Now, if you don't like Moffat, well, this is probably the last straw for you. (That was also probably the intention.) But for the rest of us...holy shit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Moffat has the following checklist stuck to his fridge:

Phone in some monsters no-one can see.
    Try really, really hard not to be sexist this time.
    Resolve story with paradox.
    Create glaring continuity issue (fix with paradox later, or clumsy exposition).
    Remember to add some random thing/character that happened in the doctor's past but turns out to be hugely important that we'll never see again.
    Retcon Torchwood (todo).
    Save that really good idea I had for Sherlock.
    Last edited by DF118; 09-14-2014 at 02:48 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Fuck all y'all. That was the best episode this season.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Agreed. Easily better than the vast majority of the Smith era episodes, and the far away winner so far this season.

I watched it alone, while drinking in a hotel room full of creaky noises. I did not sleep well that night.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'll definitely be surprised if anything this season tops Listen; it's far and away one of Moffat's best episodes. I'd even say I find it ultimately better, more enjoyable and more interesting than Blink (if for no other reason I know that there's almost no way the "monster" of this episode can get beaten into the ground and ruined later on). I still think I like Girl In the Fireplace more, but this is far up there and the more "mature" kind of storyline I love to see from this show.

Time Heist looks enjoyable but it seems like one no one will really point to or remember as one of the greats this season, and it has the severe misfortune of having to follow up Listen. It might be a perfectly average episode, but it'll seem less-than because of Listen. Nevertheless I'm totally game for it; I was really getting exhausted in recent seasons with the show and was growing really, really tired of a lot of the common storylines, of Matt Smith's Doctor and of Moffat's direction in general, but for 4 episodes in a row I've been reminded of all the reasons I fell in love with this show to begin with.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Girl in the Fireplace is easily one of my favorite episodes.

But I've gotta say...I can see the temptation to compare this to Blink, but it's just not quite there for me. I can't put my finger on why. But I feel like that one just kind of stands on its own.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Blink is different because it can be cut right out of Doctor Who and make sense to pretty much anyone that watches it, provided they have even the most basic understanding of the show (or probably not even needing that). Listen, however, is fundamentally a Doctor Who episode, so it can't be separated from the show or Series 8 without losing a lot of the context that makes it an incredible episode.

Meanwhile, I have very few expectations for Time Heist, so it'll probably be a good time.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Best episode of Doctor Who since Tennant era, it was a caper, it was clever, it was funny, it was dark and it had a puzzle, it was Doctor Who again.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    My BT on demand have FINALLY got around to putting up the seventh Dr Who series up so I can actually catch up with it, and then maybe think about watching the new ones

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i very, very much enjoyed the first five and the last five episodes of this season. the slump in the middle (the caretaker, kill the moon) was mostly, for me, about the doctor's change in attitude. he wasn't a funny jerk anymore, he was just a jerk. but he came back around and the majority of this season was great. certainly washed away the entirety of the bad taste that matt smith had left in my mouth.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    So I pretty much shelved this season after my mixed reaction to the premiere episode, but the hype leading up to the season finale finally forced to catch up. I feel like I won't fully get a handle on Capaldi's Doctor until the next season (I was the same way with Matt Smith) but he is definitely his own Doctor.

The finale was all about Missy for me, though!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    The finale was awful. I had zero emotional involvement and don't get me started on Missy. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Hopeful for the next season.