Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I'm going to a talk with Mark Gatiss and Peter Capaldi (and a few others) on Sunday, and it's open to question submissions. I can't think of any good DW related ones though

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I'm going to a talk with Mark Gatiss and Peter Capaldi (and a few others) on Sunday, and it's open to question submissions. I can't think of any good DW related ones though
    "do you feel that matt smith's incarnation of the doctor veered off into the territory of an immature misogynist, despite some great standalone episodes, and do you think that you've moved past and erased that with this new regeneration?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "do you feel that matt smith's incarnation of the doctor veered off into the territory of an immature misogynist, despite some great standalone episodes, and do you think that you've moved past and erased that with this new regeneration?"
    I would say that the new showrunner, Moffat, rather than the actor, was responsible for this trajectory during Eleven's era. I'd love to see what a different showrunner would have done with Matt Smith.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edo View Post
    I would say that the new showrunner, Moffat, rather than the actor, was responsible for this trajectory during Eleven's era. I'd love to see what a different showrunner would have done with Matt Smith.
    oh, i'm perfectly aware of that. i wasn't saying that matt smith chose to play the character that way, he was working with what he was given. but it doesn't change the fact that moffat used matt smith's doctor as a vehicle for that ridiculousness.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    ask Mark Gatiss if he'll ever/would ever write a hammer film! pleeeease

the last q&a I saw with capaldi he was saying he wants tenth planet style cybermen to come back... could ask how that's doing

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Hopeful for the next season.
    Not even remotely hopeful for the next season.

I don't know what happened here...by the end of the Smith era, I was starting to feel like I was done with this show. Then they announced Capaldi, and I got excited.

Saw the premier...went right back to thinking I was done. Second episode didn't help too much. But Listen caught my eye, and from there through Mummy, I was actually getting excited. It seemed like the show had caught its stride, and it just felt like the Who I got hooked on back in '05. Flatliners wasn't too bad, but then Forest happened, and I cringed. Terrible episode.

Finally, I hit the last two: and almost turned it off more times than I can count. Just didn't care anymore. It didn't leave me thinking "yeaaaaaaaaaaaah can't wait for more now!!!!" It just left me feeling like it's had a good run, and I wouldn't be terribly upset if a new season didn't happen.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    @theimage13 : yeah I thought most of this season was poor but not due to Capaldi: therefore I'm hoping the next one changes nearly everything else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As much as I wanted to like Season 8, it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment (especially the season finale). The first five episodes were interesting, and Peter did great, but Moffat and co. seem to have no idea what character development is, as far as companions go. On one hand, it seemed good that they were starting to write Clara as a person... but they took it a bit too far at times, making it seem like they didn't want a companion (except in "Robot Of Sherwood") but wanted someone to be dragged into The Doctor's misadventures on a weekly basis, to the point where she was given a boyfriend just to add more drama between the duo. I really only tolerated Danny because I thought he was eventually going to become a companion, but after what happened in a certain two-part episode... it seemed like they only wanted him around simply for the drama, because apparently having a male character in the TARDIS besides The Doctor could cause too much attention to be detracted from the primary companion if given enough lines and/or screen time (so as a result they're usually given short bursts in the revival, with so far only Rory being the exception [albeit in his second term]).

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide , awesome. Though, if you like it, do jump back to the others eventually, there's 46 years behind that episode!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    @Space Suicide , awesome. Though, if you like it, do jump back to the others eventually, there's 46 years behind that episode!
    @sheepdean I know. I'm way way wayyyyyyy behind. I dig it so far.

Edit repost since it wasn't working well on my phone.

Losing my Doctor Who virginity tonight with The Eleventh Hour. First time watcher.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Whoa those last two posts had some real timey wimey shenanigans.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    Whoa those last two posts had some real timey wimey shenanigans.
    I re-edited the post since the photo was too large and I cropped it and he replied before I could so it made for some Whovian time shit didn't it?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I've been trekking along with the fifth series and I must say I am really enjoying it. I'm definitely going to go back and revisit the Eccleston and Tennant years (and probably Capaldi). The entire backlog from 1963-1996 is intimidating due to the scope and size of the series in retrospect, not to mention I've read/heard a lot of episodes aren't archived and aren't viewable and lost to time (how appropriate haha).

I decided to buy these seasons on blu-ray. I blind buy a lot but I thought I'd treat myself to something new and honestly, I sold a bunch of Gameboy games and a few comics so I had money to burn. In actuality all this costed me was close to 45.00 in total with money I shelled out personally, the rest was eBay/paypal payout. Crazy right?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I've been trekking along with the fifth series and I must say I am really enjoying it. I'm definitely going to go back and revisit the Eccleston and Tennant years (and probably Capaldi). The entire backlog from 1963-1996 is intimidating due to the scope and size of the series in retrospect, not to mention I've read/heard a lot of episodes aren't archived and aren't viewable and lost to time (how appropriate haha).

I decided to buy these seasons on blu-ray. I blind buy a lot but I thought I'd treat myself to something new and honestly, I sold a bunch of Gameboy games and a few comics so I had money to burn. In actuality all this costed me was close to 45.00 in total with money I shelled out personally, the rest was eBay/paypal payout. Crazy right?

The Doctor Who from 1963-1989 is an entirely different beast. It was much, much better, IMHO--better writing, stories, pacing and format. Several episodes from the first two Doctors are missing, shame. Check out "The Mind Robber'" "The Genesis of the Daleks," really any episode from the first four Doctors--great stuff. The post-Tom Baker era was good too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    The entire backlog from 1963-1996 is intimidating due to the scope and size of the series in retrospect, not to mention I've read/heard a lot of episodes aren't archived and aren't viewable and lost to time (how appropriate haha).
    The missing episodes are all from the Hartnell and Troughton eras, though you can find reconstructions of them online if you search hard enough (notably from Loose Cannon, whose website has recently gone down [though it hadn't been updated since 2009]) and some episodes of largely intact serials have been animated for DVD releases (The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors, and The Invasion).

Though there are some black-and-white era serials that are still fully intact: the best ones being the first two Dalek stories, The Keys Of Marinus, The Time Meddler, The Tomb Of The Cybermen, and The Enemy Of The World.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Tomb of the Cybermen! Great episode.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Thanks for teaching and educating the noob on what to watch and go where when the time comes. I'll stick to the modern revival for the moment before I delve deeper into the classics. Least I know where to go for information.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thought of this scene for some reason today:

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I know I'm the big noob but I back pedaled and went to Christopher Eccleston's Ninth Doctor portrayal and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I own the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th series on DVD and blu ray sets. I also own the Complete David Tennant specials, The Time of the Doctor film and The Day of the Doctor film all on blu-ray as well. What can I say? When I like something I go full on. Shame I can't get the first-fourth series on blu-ray outside of that big ass expensive box set. I really do love both doctors I've watched so I wonder how on Earth the best Doctor collectively agreed upon, Tennant, works out for my tastes. I don't think I can pick a favorite of the revival series now.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Im watching Series Eight to get caught up for September premiere!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oooh I wonder who Maisie Williams is playing?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Oooh I wonder who Maisie Williams is playing?
    Perhaps a recurring character or maybe a new companion? Clara is still around though so I have no idea.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    What's intriguing is that she and The Doctor seem to know each other?

Anyway, I'll take all the Maisie Williams I can get. That young lady is amazing.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i don't know if this needs to be put in a spoiler tag but i'm going to do it anyway.

Spoiler: my friend and i were discussing the possibilities last night and we think she may either be a young version of missy/the master OR she might be susan!
    i'd prefer the latter of those two options, but i actually really hope she's just a new character that we've never met before (but the doctor has).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Doctor Who

I was thinking of Spoiler: Susan too.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    oh, also THIS IS AMAZING

Not only does the current Doctor appear, but you can play as any of the previous Doctors from the show's 52-year history (even the War Doctor, played on TV by John Hurt). When your character dies, you regenerate into the next incarnation of the Time Lord and cycle through the series. One lovely touch is that each Doctor is matched with the Tardis control room from his tenure, from the early black-and-white version to today's epic set. And you can choose which version of the famous theme tune you want too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Fuckin' yaaaaas.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Speaking of above, this is Jenna Coleman/Clara's last season. She'll be leaving during this season as well. Why, who and when? Unknown for now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...9-2fad42c46da3

New season tomorrow night!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    So who watched the premiere episode?