Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Austin City Limits show aired April 5, 2014

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month
    The timing makes perfect sense to promote a 2014 second US tour leg whereas this leg is almost over. (and they're doing that Jimmy Kimmel thing this week aren't they?). Now all they need to do is appear on Later with Jools Holland and announce the April UK show/s finally! (or release a video or two even)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    not saying i wouldn't want to see the concert online right now, but there is some value* to keeping interest up over a longer time. an album release and tour already have promotional power. maybe someone will not really be paying attention now, but in a few months, they might see the show and think, "oh yeah. i've been meaning to check out what NIN has been up to."
    I can see the value in that. I'm just not sure that PBS is the ideal venue for propping up long-term interest, unless you're aiming for the "who the hell is Nine Inch Nails?" demographic. Some dishes are better served hot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I can see the value in that. I'm just not sure that PBS is the ideal venue for propping up long-term interest, unless you're aiming for the "who the hell is Nine Inch Nails?" demographic. Some dishes are better served hot.
    i'm not so sure about that. i think i'm a pretty typical NIN fan, being in my 30s and, uh, liking NIN, and i'm a big fan two shows on PBS (Downton Abbey and Sherlock) and have watched a lot of one of their web-based shows, Off Book, which has some aesthetic overlap with NIN, too (talking about glitch art and such).

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    I agree that being yoked to a TV network schedule in the 21st century makes no sense at all.

If I were them, I'd put the whole thing online next week. The venn diagram of PBS viewers and motivated NIN fans probably has minimal overlap in 2013, so I don't think it would harm their broadcast audience all that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    I don't see how broadcasting the show 6-9 months from now is going to benefit the promotion of the album. By that time, the album will be dead anyway. they should air the damn thing this month
    You guys don't seem to get it. The shows are done as part of a season. They tape the performances, then spend the next few months editing ALL the episodes. It's not like a live stream where they edit as they go, and it's not as if this show takes priority over the others.

Plus, I doubt they would go on the show to promote the new album if they knew ahead of time that the episode wasn't going to air until the spring.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Trent is almost 50. He's probably got fans older than that who have lost interest in NIN. Maybe he wants to recapture them by being on PBS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

NIN playing Austin City Limits 11/4

Anyone have info about the program, what's that all about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looking at the list of past performers, it seems that the last few years have featured many more rock type performers than was typical in the 80s and 90s. Radiohead was there last year. And some names very familiar to TR have also performed there-David Byrne and Them Crooked Vultures.

This is not the first thing TR has done on PBS. TR is also no stranger to NPR.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    You guys don't seem to get it. The shows are done as part of a season. They tape the performances, then spend the next few months editing ALL the episodes. It's not like a live stream where they edit as they go, and it's not as if this show takes priority over the others.
    Of course. I'm just arguing that for someone as forward looking as Trent, this is like a throwback to Ye Olden Days.

I don't think we should overlook the novelty factor at work here ("Nine Inch Nails on PBS? On Austin City Limits?"). For casual fans — or even knowledgeable non-fans — it's a not-so-insignificant hook. When the show finally airs months from now, we're the only ones who'll even remember, let alone be looking forward to it. I'm not saying this would go viral or anything, but there's a limited window to capitalize on the curiosity of the whole thing.

i'm not so sure about that. i think i'm a pretty typical NIN fan, being in my 30s and, uh, liking NIN, and i'm a big fan two shows on PBS (Downton Abbey and Sherlock) and have watched a lot of one of their web-based shows, Off Book, which has some aesthetic overlap with NIN, too (talking about glitch art and such).
    Yeah, I could be way off base about that. It's been years since I've had the patience to watch TV, and I was a fan of PBS back then. But then, I'm not a typical NIN fan either.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I couldn't possibly care less about whatever other Late Night show he's playing later this week. Honestly, I probably won't even be bothered to check Youtube for clips.

But you can bet your ass I'll be keeping an eye out for the Austin City Limits performance. One of my favorite live DVDs still is the Ben Folds Five session from the 90s. I don't have cable, and of the networks that I get, PBS is the only one I really give a shit about. So while I may very well be in the minority, I for one am still absolutely thrilled to see that this has happened.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I couldn't possibly care less about whatever other Late Night show he's playing later this week. Honestly, I probably won't even be bothered to check Youtube for clips.

But you can bet your ass I'll be keeping an eye out for the Austin City Limits performance. One of my favorite live DVDs still is the Ben Folds Five session from the 90s. I don't have cable, and of the networks that I get, PBS is the only one I really give a shit about. So while I may very well be in the minority, I for one am still absolutely thrilled to see that this has happened.
    And speaking strictly as a NIN fan, so am I! But I'm also looking at it from a wider perspective where bending the TV paradigm a bit could produce dividends. I.e., put a rough edit on YouTube now, but also broadcast the fully polished show next year as scheduled.

I'll shut up now.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The fans are the people that know about the show now. After PBS has more time for promotion, nonfans might know too. Most people don't follow when TV shows tape, just when they air. Downton Abbey and Sherlock both have a pretty big broad fan base, and those shows are airing in January/February. Plus, there are the people that regularly watch ACL or will just check to see if anything interesting is on this spring season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfang View Post
    First show ever with no HLAH?

NO............

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEANDZOMBIES View Post
    I love the very last pic of Robin. He has that look saying, "Uh, Trent. Are you sure we're supposed to be playing this kind of show? On PBS?"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Looks like the show could air as early as January. http://acltv.com/2013/09/23/austin-c...ts-new-season/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Seems like this was a great opportunity to capture the new lineup as well as a special treat for us, the fans, to have for our viewing pleasure. Don't see what the big deal is. Would you rather they skipped this all together? What if this is the only professionally shot footage from this leg of the tour with this band? Chill out guys! Relax and enjoy! Let's just hope they air the right songs....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed reading Leslie Nichols' Twitter feed. She's a producer of the show and put up some photos and tidbits about the recording

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOtherLeslie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I really enjoyed reading Leslie Nichols' Twitter feed. She's a producer of the show and put up some photos and tidbits about the recording

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheOtherLeslie
    I was there, and that feed was awesome. I wouldn't have found it without you WorzelG, thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I love the very last pic of Robin. He has that look saying, "Uh, Trent. Are you sure we're supposed to be playing this kind of show? On PBS?"
    LMAO! There were a couple of times during the show when I saw Robin looking out into the audience trying to pick out who were the real fans and who were the rich douchebags (who probably didn't even know his name).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRH129 View Post
    I was there, and that feed was awesome. I wouldn't have found it without you WorzelG, thanks!
    From her feed, all the ACL crew seemed really excited and into it, it was quite heartwarming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by m15a View Post
    About half way through the show, an entourage of people with a small-ish child (probably age 2-4) sleeping on the shoulder of one adult walked through the theater, (couldn't tell you who the kid was) around the cameras and out. That made me think. Maybe this ACL appearance is for posterity. Maybe he's letting the best in the business capture this moment for them (his sons--and I'm not saying the child I saw was one of his sons). Will they ever understand just how important their father was in this landscape of music? This ACL episode just might be that credential. Seeing is believing, after all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A few of these photos are better than the ACL photog. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post

You will all be invited to STL for a viewing party. I hope they keep the part where TR jokes about his choice in antiperspirant. (Seriously, I couldn't make that up.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Love the photos. Hate the comments. If I could personally punch all the haters, I would.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRH129 View Post
    Love the photos. Hate the comments. If I could personally punch all the haters, I would.
    Someone actually called NIN "Dad Rawk"…?

Heh. Let's see if your dad is still standing after March of the Pigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone is still interested in the silkscreen poster, the artist Rob Jones will have a small number for sale on his site later this week. He does lots of work for Jack White and Third Man Records, so I am sure this poster will be sought after by more than just NIN fans.

http://instagram.com/p/gWpCvNgsEK/

http://www.animalrummy.com/
    Last edited by Dinki Di; 11-07-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That poster is stupid. He slaps a NIN logo on a screen grab off google maps and is charging god knows how much? Wow.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm not shocked the readers to a blog called BrooklynVegan doesn't take kindly to NIN, (I'm assuming it's hipster trash). If it doesn't sound like some Fleet Foxes/Mumford and Sons knock off then it's shit. Or, if it isn't European eletropop then it isn't worth listening to. It's just pop music for College kids. In my opinion, it's quite the achievement when Kanye West in 2013, arguably one of the biggest and most influential artist of the last ten years, makes an album that is clearly influenced by the industrial music Trent was making almost 20 years ago. More impressive, to me at least, than some guy playing a banjo and a bass drum in 4/4 at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinki Di View Post
    If anyone is still interested in the silkscreen poster, the artist Rob Jones will have a small number for sale on his site later this week. He does lots of work for Jack White and Third Man Records, so I am sure this poster will be sought after by more than just NIN fans.

http://instagram.com/p/gWpCvNgsEK/

http://www.animalrummy.com/
    Cannot thank you enough. I had no idea how badly I'd want one of these until after the whole experience. You are my new BFF!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm interested to see what he winds up charging. There's potential for him to look like a huge jerk if he sells 250 of them to the band that are sold at the show for $25 then reserves or reprints a set for his sale at $100+.