Thread: Converge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post

thanks for posting this.

very interesting, too short though

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Agreed. Was waiting for it for a while and when I saw it I was like 'That's it? Dammit!'

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jacob just put up a butt-ton of rare and long sold out prints up at his site in case anyone's interested. ATF prints too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Damn it I want that NO Heroes print.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That's the only one I haven't been able to find of the new ones he put up. Had to grab one. Not sure about the whole 'test run of sorts, not as much depth as the originals' statement lol but I had to.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I might be the only one that thinks this but I have not been a fan of anything the band has done post No Heroes honestly. To me, all the production has really kind of sounded the same and besides maybe a few minor differences here and there...most of the records sound in the same entity as well. The progression from records like When Forever Comes Crashing to Jane Doe and then Jane Doe to You Fail Me were amazing. All of those albums had completely different feels and while still keeping true to their hardcore punk roots...felt extremely experimental for the genre itself. They completely distanced themselves from (in my opinion) incredibly boring peers they've played with like Bane. I've just never been a fan of that almost over bearing "tough guy" vibe in hardcore music, which is annoying itself cause St. Louis has a shit ton of local bands like that.

Anyway, I liked No Heroes because it was all over the place but sounded clean, lean and mean. Axe to Fall just sounded like No Heroes II in my opinion and even felt like touring with Mastodon had rubbed off on them as they sounded more trashy and metallic. I really tried to give AWLWLB a chance but once again, I just felt bored when normally listening to a band that gave me goosebumps and made me feel incredibly inspired. I still have incredible love for their first five records but unlike everyone else in the world, I just can't get into their last two efforts as much sadly.

They did put on one of the best and most chaotic shows I've ever seen, I saw them in 2006 a week or two before No Heroes came out and bodies were flying all over the place. A humorous moment happened when Bannon got his mic chord caught in the drum set and it gave it a clothesline effect which tripped up some dude trying to stage dive.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Personally I dig AWLWLB more than ATF, but it's close. I get what you're saying about the production though absolutely. Maybe it's because up to No Heroes, it seems like each album changed so drastically, and now they're just 'in the groove' per se. I think also I love AWLWLB more because it's just them. I'm all for appearances and stuff but it seems to have more of a lasting appeal than ATF. You're not alone lol.

I've always felt they're a better live band as well. Can't beat their shows, but in terms of listening to it in my car, etc. it definitely is on shuffle with other stuff. You mentioned Bane, and I couldn't agree more. I've seen them once and thought 'Nah, I'm good.' The brocore thing is a bit much for me as well.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Personally I dig AWLWLB more than ATF, but it's close. I get what you're saying about the production though absolutely. Maybe it's because up to No Heroes, it seems like each album changed so drastically, and now they're just 'in the groove' per se. I think also I love AWLWLB more because it's just them. I'm all for appearances and stuff but it seems to have more of a lasting appeal than ATF. You're not alone lol.

I've always felt they're a better live band as well. Can't beat their shows, but in terms of listening to it in my car, etc. it definitely is on shuffle with other stuff. You mentioned Bane, and I couldn't agree more. I've seen them once and thought 'Nah, I'm good.' The brocore thing is a bit much for me as well.
    Okay good, I'm glad I'm not alone in here a bit. lol. I mean Converge is one of those bands that changed my life, I was playing "core" music with some friends of mine in high school and the first time I heard You Fail Me and Jane Doe..it completely opened my ears up to how you could write aggressive music. They've always remained a huge favorite of mine even if I haven't cared for newer material. I think you're right about finding their "groove", it seems they've stuck to that which is fine I suppose but I've always liked them because of how much they challenged me and it just seems like there's so many bands nowadays that try to copy what Converge was doing.

Jane Doe is in my top five albums of all time, You Fail Me is up there somewhere in the top twenty as well.

Thank you! The "brocore" sound is incredibly annoying to me, it's just not my cup of tea and never will be quite honestly. I think what I really enjoyed about Converge was they had those "COME ON BRO, LETS TWO STEP" moments but including spazzy/mathcore elements that just made them so much more interesting. Bannon's scream of course made them incredibly distinct because they didn't sound like some dude in a black hoodie, camo jeans and tattoos just yelling in a microphone. Converge was scary. I can even remember friends who were into Terror and stuff like that always told me they could never get into Converge cause of how crazy it was. Kind of funny.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 06-28-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Jacob just put up some more rarities in terms of prints at his site, including damaged (but still frameable!) prints for TEN DOLLARS.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://convergecult.bandcamp.com/alb...blues-sessions

"Pound For Pound: The Wolverine Blues Sessions" Digital EP from Converge features our rendition of "Wolverine Blues" originally written and performed by Entombed, presented as five different tracks.

Each vocalist recorded a full version of the song which we used to compile into the final version included on the Converge and Napalm Death Split 7"EP. This Digital EP is the complete mixes of each guest vocalist who contributed to the final track, presented as five unique versions of the song.

If you like what you here, please support all of the artists by purchasing our music and apparel.

1. Wolverine Blues w/ Aaron Turner (Isis, Old Man Gloom, etc)
    2. Wolverine Blues w/ Jacob Bannon (Converge, Wear Your Wounds)
    3. Wolverine Blues w/ Kevin Baker (APMD, The Hope Conspiracy, etc)
    4. Wolverine Blues w/ Nate Newton (Converge, Doomriders, Old Man Gloom, etc)
    5. Wolverine Blues w / Tompa (Disfear, At The Gates, etc) and Kurt (Converge, etc)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Live At The BBC EP coming shortly, yusssss.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Lots of new prints on sale tomorrow, going to have to snag me one of the 'Lost in Dreams' ones fo sho.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Dang, $100 for one of those prints but of course I couldn't resist...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    ^^Definitely jealous. Those were sold out by the time I had a chance to go to the site.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Converge's Live at the BBC 7" is now up in two different locations with different vinyl options.

www.deathwishinc.com
    www.kingsroadmerch.com

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Had to snag it with the combo pack of the black shirt with EP artwork on it, too slick. AND Kurt finished the mixing of the new Code Orange Kids album? Fuck yes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy fuckin' shit.

We are proud to announce a two night Deathwish event July 22nd and 23rd at The Sinclair in Cambridge MA, featuring exclusively Deathwish affiliated artists.
    This is the first in a series of Deathwish Events that will happen in the future worldwide.

Converge and Trap Them will headline both nights of the event. It will be both bands only Boston area appearances this year. It will also be the only area appearance for Modern Life Is War, Harm Wulf (G. of Blacklisted), and YAITW who are all making the journey exclusively for these shows. It will also serve as the New England stop for the Oathbreaker and Cult Leader U.S. Tour (more details on that tour soon). Add the monstrous Doomriders, Code Orange Kids, Self Defense Family, New Lows, and Chrome Over Brass (Al of American Nightmare, etc) and you have a truly diverse and powerful lineup.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    just got super into converge after casually liking them since high school. i now own "you fail me" through "all we love..." on vinyl. waiting on the live at the bbc 7" to come in. still need to pick up jane doe, but i'm not as into their super early stuff. right now "you fail me" is my favorite album, for sure, followed closely by "all we love..."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    That DWFest sounds fucking amazing. I love when these labels put on their own "festivals". Gilead Media did one last year and it sounded amazing. They are doing it this year as well. A bunch of bands like Thou, The Body and Ash Borer. I read somewhere that Sargent House is trying to put together their own thing like this and that would be amazing considering the bands on their roster.

Either way, wish I lived near the East Coast for this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New video for 'All We Love We Leave Behind'.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Just copped Jake's massive Garden of Grief print, 36" x 36" !!! For only $200 it's a steal. Also considering his new subscription to get all the new AWLWLB prints (17 in total)... not a bad deal for $500 and I want them all, though the extra $200 for shipping means I may just have to cop 1 or 2 here and there instead...

http://www.jacobbannon.com/possess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Converge cover the Cure w/ Steve Brodsky AWESOMENESS! Start at 45min mark.
    Last edited by fortheloveofgod; 07-24-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    two observations:

1. their cover of disintegration is almost as good (if not better) than rosetta's cover of homesick
    2. kurt looks really hot with a beard

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New tour dates with At The Gates for the Decibel Magazine tour!

03/27 Los Angeles, CA – The Wiltern
    03/28 San Francisco, CA – The Regency Ballroom
    03/29 Portland, OR – Roseland Theater
    03/30 Vancouver, BC – Commodore Ballroom
    03/31 Seattle, WA – Showbox at the Market
    04/02 Salt Lake City, UT – The Complex
    04/03 Denver, CO – Summit Music Hall
    04/04 Lincoln, NE – Bourbon Street
    04/05 Minneapolis, MN – Mill City Nights
    04/06 Chicago, IL – House of Blues
    04/08 Toronto, ON – The Phoenix
    04/09 Montreal, QC – Metropolis
    04/10 Boston, MA – Royale
    04/11 Philadelphia, PA – Union Transfer
    04/12 New York, NY – Webster Hall

Prices a bit steep at $50-ish per ticket but as if I'm still not scoring a pair uuunnngggggghhhh

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Looks like a trip to Chicago is in my future.

Also, picked up this bad boy today.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Same one I chose!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Pretty cool one-on-one between Bannon and ETID's Andy Williams.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    From FB:

Here's an announcement that we will be announcing something tomorrow. Announce to your friends and loved ones the importance of this announcement as it is more important and life affecting than any other announcement you could possibly hear tomorrow. Thanks. -J.

I say:

1. DVD done...finally.
    2. New album info...long shot.
    3. Something tour related.
    4. Hiatus.

Really hoping it's not the last one, but with Jacob having a baby now, and the side bands, and everything else...not to mention Kurt's producing and the fact that they've been going balls out for like 20+ years, I honestly feel it could be something like that.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    ^ I hope you're wrong.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I would guess 1 or 4 or both. Hopefully just 1.