Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The last 2 tracks just went up for download, and art was added to 2 more tracks today ("2 fogbeak" [two versions; must have changed his mind quick] & "24 triple D"). There was no information in the tags for the new downloads except for the "Title" field.

Everything is up-to-date already on the MEGA drive
    Last edited by Jon; 08-12-2015 at 10:09 PM. Reason: updated SC title for #51; added SC description for #225

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    new info in the SC description:
    "Im VERY happy to report that ive found loads more old tapes i never encoded or gave to anybody, been looking a lot on /off last few months and found around 7 tapes, most of which have 20+tracks ))Will upload/release soonish."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've given up hope on ever catching up with Aphex Twin's new method of releasing material. Seems like every time I go back there's just more I haven't heard yet.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The EP was released in Japan on Tuesday, so if you can't wait an extra day, it's floating around out there (including 24-bit lossless).
    Last edited by Jon; 08-20-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: wrong day

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    But really you should buy it because it's awesome... and the Bleep download is now live!
    Last edited by botley; 08-20-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    But really you should buy it because it's awesome... and the Bleep download is now live!
    I bought it, but goddamn I hate buying stuff off Bleep. The commerce part of that website is painful.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    I bought it, but goddamn I hate buying stuff off Bleep. The commerce part of that website is painful.
    In which way do you mean, painful? I think I added a credit to my account there, so it only asks me for my CVV each time I check out.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    In which way do you mean, painful? I think I added a credit to my account there, so it only asks me for my CVV each time I check out.
    They don't allow guest checkout, it's not very intuitive (redundant purchase/download buttons) and I had a helluva time getting it to work with Paypal (I may very have been charged twice). It was like this the few other times I've bought records on that site as well, but I don't use it enough to remember the quirks each time.

My preference these days is to figure out a way to give bands money for whatever digital product, and then just go download the torrent.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but if you ordered from Bleep, you get a free bonus track
    https://twitter.com/AphexTwin/status/635952251723341824

Also, two new tracks on SC. It's nothing special though, just modular tracks

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but if you ordered from Bleep, you get a free bonus track
    https://twitter.com/AphexTwin/status/635952251723341824

Also, two new tracks on SC. It's nothing special though, just modular tracks
    Bleep has also released the track, umil 25-01, as a single.

Those 2 modular tracks are the same ones from the SYROBONKERS! Interview Trax, one with an updated name. And, there are 7 new tracks up on the user18081971 account, for a total of 9 (downloads are not yet enabled on the 7 "new" ones).

This time of year is always busy for me; I promise to update my MEGA archive whenever I have enough time to sit down and do it properly.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I kind of overlooked this in the RDJ overload that this year has been, but goddamn I'm loving this record.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Alrighty folks, here's the next 21 tracks (#231 – #251), thanks for your patience.

There was a lot more involved with these, since I know everyone probably wants "codec options". Half of this batch was released losslessly, and half of the download buttons were active briefly but are not currently.

There were .aif, .aiff, .m4a (apple lossless), mp3, and .wav extensions used this go around for the master downloads, so it took awhile to do everything properly and make the right conversions. A few of the .aiff and .wav files contain tags/metadata... that was all carried over by tweaking a few settings in dBpoweramp.

The .aiff originals are also available in .wav, in case there's some out there that do not want to deal with conversion, etc.

NOTE: I saved all of the dBpoweramp conversion metadata as .txt files; these can be found in info/meta. I plan to add a folder.aucdtect_verbose to the main info folder in the near future.

NOTE 2: Everything here is 16-bit/44.1kHz with the exception of #242 (Dx9 20 Afx Voices), which is mono 24-bit/96kHz. In order to make the LAME mp3 version, I first resampled the .wav from 96kHz to 48kHz. I then converted the 24-bit/48kHz .wav file directly to a 320 CBR MP3. This is by far the safest/cleanest way to do this, with dithering often introducing excessive shaping/audible noise much of the time. I included the resample metadata .txt file for completion sake.

ENJOY!

EDIT: noddy was available very briefly as a download; it is the only one I'm missing if anyone out there has it. (320 CBR MP3). In the meantime, the stream capture will have to do.
    Last edited by Jon; 09-17-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: #252, Boxenergy4remix1, added

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    EDIT: noddy was available very briefly as a download; it is the only one I'm missing if anyone out there has it. (320 CBR MP3). In the meantime, the stream capture will have to do.
    Even if the download button is not available on a soundcloud track, you can still grab it using jDownloader.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Even if the download button is not available on a soundcloud track, you can still grab it using jDownloader.
    The max quality on a SoundCloud stream extract is 128Kbps CBR MP3. I have all of the stream extracts available, just missing the downloadable version for that one which was a higher bitrate.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Alrighty folks, here's the next 21 tracks (#231 – #251), thanks for your patience.

There was a lot more involved with these, since I know everyone probably wants "codec options". Half of this batch was released losslessly, and half of the download buttons were active briefly...
    I've never understood this - why only make it available for a short period of time then take them away?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I've never understood this - why only make it available for a short period of time then take them away?
    I believe Richard was upset with seeing them offered as embedded listicle content on dumb 'music curation' websites, next to ads for penis pills etc. and links to unrelated peoples' music.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    So I just realized that the first track off the new EP is an ever so slightly different version of "Sci-Fi Staircase (Tahnaiya Russell Remix)".

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I also realized it's been a year today since Syro leaked. I love that album so much.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    The latest batch is now all downloadable (#231-#252). I noticed that I forgot to delete the track number at the beginning for the "AFXFILENAMEORIGINAL" field, so I deleted those and am starting the latest batch over. I will have it completed sometime today. Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by Jon; 09-19-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, you found Noddy, right? If not, I have it uploaded.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    AFx — SOUNDCLOUD! User Trax #001–263 // [MEGA archive]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• The following ID3 fields were added to backup RDJ's original tagging entries, as well as to make miscellaneous information more readily available:​

1. AFXALBUMORIGINAL
    2. AFXARTISTORIGINAL
    3. AFXCOMMENTORIGINAL
    4. AFXDESCSOUNDCLOUD
    5. AFXFILENAMEORIGINAL
    6. AFXGENREORIGINAL
    7. AFXTAGSOUNDCLOUD
    8. AFXTITLEORIGINAL
    9. AFXTITLESOUNDCLOUD
    10. AFXTRACKORIGINAL
    11. AFXUPLOADSOUNDCLOUD

​• Tagging and ID3 fields were not added/updated for .aif, .aiff, or .wav files. Some of these uncompressed file types may contain tagging/metadata that was present upon download. In such cases, all information was transferred to subsequent compressed file types (then backed up accordingly).

• All lossless tracks are available in .aif/.aiff, .m4a (Apple Lossless/ALAC), .flac, .mp3 (lossy 320 CBR), and .wav formats. The original download format will always be the file marked at the beginning with 3 numbers and nothing else.

• The best version of SoundCloud track art was used for each compressed file. For the tracks that did not have unique artwork, the 500x500 purple/plum square was used. #241 has two embedded artwork files which were left intact. [This particular download seems to be identical to the one made available as part of the SYROBONKERS! tracks]

#242 is a 24-bit/96kHz/Mono .wav file. To accommodate older devices, I've also included 24-bit/48kHz versions for each format. The .mp3 version was created by resampling the 24/96 .wav file to a 24/48 .wav using dBpoweramp, then converting the resampled .wav to .mp3 without dither. During my research, this method seemed to be the "cleanest" way to create an .mp3 from a 24-bit/96kHz source. Additionally, a
    -3dB limiter (track gain/DSP effect/etc.) could be used for the 24-bit/48kHz versions to yield "even better" results. @botley or someone else more adept in this area, feel free to chime in regarding these last two points.

• The METADATA and INFO folders were separated. The METADATA folder contains logs of all file conversions; the INFO folder contains a "thanks" file, as well as shntool and aucdtect info files.

REMINDER! -- Not all of the compressed files will have an AFXTITLEORIGINAL field at this point.

• If you notice any errors/corrections, please let me know! ENJOY!
    Last edited by Jon; 10-21-2015 at 09:36 AM. Reason: added #263

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    I think the file in question is a test tone or something like that. You totally did the right thing, a -3dB limiter isn't going to help with conversion to lossy compression.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I don't get how that could possibly help either. Unless it's mastered crazy loud up against the 0dB ceiling – MP3 encoders have a bad habit of doing their spectral removal algorithm without running through a limiter, so you get resulting MP3s that clip where the source does not (if the source has no headroom above where the mastering limiter bricks... there's usually 0.3dB in there so crappier D/A converters don't clip).

Haven't heard the tracks yet so I have no idea if they're mastered at all, let alone that loudly.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    I don't get how that could possibly help either. Unless it's mastered crazy loud up against the 0dB ceiling – MP3 encoders have a bad habit of doing their spectral removal algorithm without running through a limiter, so you get resulting MP3s that clip where the source does not (if the source has no headroom above where the mastering limiter bricks... there's usually 0.3dB in there so crappier D/A converters don't clip).

Haven't heard the tracks yet so I have no idea if they're mastered at all, let alone that loudly.
    Thanks for clarifying this. It just happened to be something I saw mentioned on several sites when researching the best way to convert a 24-bit/96kHz lossless file to a "playable" mp3.

EDITED: clarified what I meant by "test tone" below.
    Last edited by Jon; 09-20-2015 at 08:45 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    ... why the fuck did he release a test tone in 24/96

It's like a bizarre anti-Pono statement.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    ... why the fuck did he release a test tone in 24/96

It's like a bizarre anti-Pono statement.
    Test tone might be a little harsh, but it's not meant to be listened to as a song; it's a patch for a Yamaha DX9.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    It does have spectral information in the high frequencies all the way up to (and past) 40kHz, which is not something I can say for all music mastered to 24/96.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Test tone might be a little harsh, but it's not meant to be listened to as a song; it's a patch for a Yamaha DX9.
    Someone's going to have to give me a rundown of how DX9 patches work, I guess.

Seems to be similar to reverb/guitar amp impulse response technology...?