Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Someone's going to have to give me a rundown of how DX9 patches work, I guess.

Seems to be similar to reverb/guitar amp impulse response technology...?
    Here's the manual. It's an FM synth, and the tones are in Yamaha's proprietary memory storage format so you can store the modulation (and envelope?) settings for up to 20 different voices on a cassette tape, I think. Perhaps if you have a DX9 (and maybe one of those Bluetooth cassette deck adapters) I suppose you could use this file to program one with RDJ's patches.
    Last edited by botley; 09-21-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    edit: nevermind, thought there was a new AFX track, but it's just a recent upload to the Aphex Twin (official) soundcloud, umil 25-01.
    Last edited by Magtig; 09-23-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Always liked Richards ambient music the most..... Realised recently,...Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 is like a different genre to Selected Ambient Works 1985-1992.
    SAW 85-92 is much more instantaneous, sounds slightly more commercial and similar to other huge British electronic ambient groups of the time like The Orb and the KLF.
    SAW Volume 2..is a totally dfferent form of ambient music, more like Brian Eno or Seefeel. Its a totally different listening experience.

They both sound very different, i love them both the same, they sound vastly different to my ears.
    I find SAW 85-92 warmer and more relaxing and its a more sociable type of record, , but i find SAW 2 takes me to a much more deeper nostalgic place.
    How awesome would it be if Richard made a Selected Ambeint Works volume 3.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    Always liked Richards ambient music the most..... Realised recently,...Selected Ambient Works Volume 2 is like a different genre to Selected Ambient Works 1985-1992.
    SAW 85-92 is much more instantaneous, sounds slightly more commercial and similar to other huge British electronic ambient groups of the time like The Orb and the KLF.
    SAW Volume 2..is a totally dfferent form of ambient music, more like Brian Eno or Seefeel. Its a totally different listening experience.

They both sound very different, i love them both the same, they sound vastly different to my ears.
    I find SAW 85-92 warmer and more relaxing and its a more sociable type of record, , but i find SAW 2 takes me to a much more deeper nostalgic place.
    How awesome would it be if Richard made a Selected Ambeint Works volume 3.
    Some of the Soundcloud songs actually comprise a new Selected Ambient Works album. Check @Jon 's archive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    wow, i'm a bit late to this party... what a wealth of music from RDJ. Looks like @Jon has done a really great job cataloguing these uploads. I was wondering about the tagging though, when i look at the metadata of the files the album tag for all of them is SOUNDCLOUD! User Trax. Are these tracks grouped into any kind of collection/album scheme that i am somehow missing? What do you mean by AFXALBUMORIGINAL ID3 fields, etc. were they somehow included in the soundcloud DLs?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Some of the Soundcloud songs actually comprise a new Selected Ambient Works album. Check @Jon 's archive.
    Which ones out of curiosity? I've grabbed an earlier iteration of @Jon 's excellent work but haven't updated to the latest yet. I'd like to prioritise whichever you are describing as a new SAW. Thanks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    There was a comment on his soundcloud from him that alluded to a potential SAW III. Something that he said he's been working on and compiling for years.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Which ones out of curiosity? I've grabbed an earlier iteration of @Jon's excellent work but haven't updated to the latest yet. I'd like to prioritise whichever you are describing as a new SAW. Thanks
    https://soundcloud.com/user18081971/sets/saw1-era

He calls it SAW 1.5, which is appropriate since it kind of acts as a bridge between Volume 1 and Volume 2.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by talkingnothing View Post
    wow, i'm a bit late to this party... what a wealth of music from RDJ. Looks like @Jon has done a really great job cataloguing these uploads. I was wondering about the tagging though, when i look at the metadata of the files the album tag for all of them is SOUNDCLOUD! User Trax. Are these tracks grouped into any kind of collection/album scheme that i am somehow missing? What do you mean by AFXALBUMORIGINAL ID3 fields, etc. were they somehow included in the soundcloud DLs?
    I semi-explain what the individual fields mean in this post. Essentially, it was the original entry that was in that field upon download (for instance, you'll notice "Sc" for AFXALBUMORIGINAL on a chunk of the tracks). The "SOUNDCLOUD! User Trax" is just a name I made-up, being an homage (or whatever) to "SYROBONKERS! Interview Trax".

The overall point, however, was that you are free to change any of the "main" tagging since the original tagging present upon download is already backed-up (meaning, you could just change everything back and delete the extra fields; totally your call)

That also plays in to why I have .wav, .aiff, .flac, .m4a (Apple Lossless), and .mp3 formats where applicable. It's meant to be an "all-encompassing, versatile" archive which you make "your's". Blah blah, I'm sure you get the point.

--------------------------------------------

As far as SAW, there is also a handful of unreleased SAW II tracks presented in the SoundCloud dump.

EDIT: Updated with #253 - #263
    Last edited by Jon; 10-21-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: added #263

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Some of these Soundcloud tracks ive been hearing all year like the one above ^^^ are amazing....i have had about 10 of these soundcloud tracks on repeat all year.
    how Richard could have kept all this amazing music secret for 20 years is beyond me..

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    All of the soundcloud tracks have been deleted... Maybe he's cleared room?

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Nooooooo! And then I went to the Mega link that @Jon had been so meticulously caretaking, and that's gone too. WHAT IS HAPPENING

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think Jon took a break from updating it, because the last date he updated it was the end of October. Have no idea why it's gone now...

This is another mega archive I've found on WATMM.
    https://mega.nz/#F!HMcAgABI!TXaiAlHSGTno2ki_TuoJPQ

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    harmonicom 13 / Saw2 CD1 Trk2 [Original Mix]

EDIT: Never mind. I forgot that this was on 26 Mixes For Cash.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    I love the beat-infused version of SAWII#2 from that Peel Session.

EDIT: nvm, that's from a later session. .
    Last edited by botley; 03-24-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Kinda random, but I work as a therapist, and one of my habits is that I like to play music at really low volumes during sessions with clients (like barely registering as audible) to try and promote calmness and relaxation. I just discovered that playing Selected Ambient Works really works well, much more so than other music I've tried. I don't if it's that album or my mad skills at work, but therapeutic productivity is damn high this week, tee hee

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    One of the Peel Session 2 tracks is finally being released officially!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post

Warp are marketing geniuses. Can't wait to hear this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just found out how many songs he released on SoundCloud and such, I would normally just Google it, but can anyone link me to buy them or download them? Pretty please?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    I just found out how many songs he released on SoundCloud and such, I would normally just Google it, but can anyone link me to buy them or download them? Pretty please?

http://forum.watmm.com/topic/89649-user18081971-soundcloud-complete-collection/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thank you! I'm going to do it on my PC, since it looks like you can't download it even with the app

Edit: Aww yes, spent all night downloading it all. About 289 songs right? Holy sweet flipping Jesus. I checked and there is over 24 hours of music. Then a new EP next month. Oh thank our Analord Richard!
    Last edited by theburningreptile; 06-19-2016 at 06:04 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I can't be the only one to have found track a bit boring?

I hope it's not exactly indicative of the whole Cheetah EP

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackholesun View Post
    I can't be the only one to have found track a bit boring?
    It reminded me of the better Analord stuff. I liked it.