Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Aphex Twin

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Groove Magazine contacted 25 of their former cover artists to each ask a question of RDJ.

http://www.groove.de/2014/12/25/25-q...or-aphex-twin/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pre-ordered (in 24bit lossless, natch).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    A 13 track EP? How is this an EP? Do we know how long it is?

Also: YAY!!!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magtig View Post
    A 13 track EP? How is this an EP? Do we know how long it is?
    It's under thirty minutes, lots of shorter tracks. Running times here.
    Last edited by botley; 01-10-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If the EP title is literal, this is gonna be seriously interesting if it matches what my head thinks it will sound like

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Also, is there a Pt. 1 or is James just being James?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Great EP! Track 1 blew my mind instantly.
    Pleasantly surprised by this 28-minute musical experiment (and a musically amazing one at the same time).
    Tracks 1, 3, 9, 10, 12, 13 will definitely be added to my Aphex Twin playlist.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 01-20-2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: NUMBERS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    PM me for megaupload link

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    the stuff he does with a piano on this is nuts. sounds like a clock shop upon the strike of the hour!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    This is so fucking good, can we have a full album please?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    anyone notice this image on the bleep page for the new ep?

i'm not sure how i feel about that :|

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    why? everything he does is microtonal now. of course he wants the record of acoustic instruments playing out of tune!

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    why? everything he does is microtonal now. of course he wants the record of acoustic instruments playing out of tune!
    Out of tune? Unless your turntable is broken nothing would be out of tune. I interpret that to mean one side of the EP plays at 33.33 RPM and the other at 45.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i was reading the thing in between the numbers as the word "or," so the difference in tuning and speed would be intended as an interactive part of the experiment: RDJ presents the controlled instruments, then you control them further. i mean, he would. right?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Out of tune? Unless your turntable is broken nothing would be out of tune. I interpret that to mean one side of the EP plays at 33.33 RPM and the other at 45.
    i was reading the thing in between the numbers as the word "or," so the difference in tuning and speed would be intended as an interactive part of the experiment: RDJ presents the controlled instruments, then you control them further. i mean, he would. right?
    yeah, it definitely says "33 or 45" meaning it's a "variable speed" record. which to me is kind of bullshit, as a vinyl enthusiast. if it's not mastered at the speed at which you're playing it back, it's not going to sound right. and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yeah, it definitely says "33 or 45" meaning it's a "variable speed" record. which to me is kind of bullshit, as a vinyl enthusiast. if it's not mastered at the speed at which you're playing it back, it's not going to sound right. and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".
    I do not feel so strongly, and I think it's a fun way to say "fuck it, and you" to vinyl purists, while at the same time giving us something to dork out about.

I haven't heard the music, so I don't know how it sounds at different speeds. But I have some old horror movie soundtracks that sound great when played at the wrong speed.

As a vinyl enthusiast this should be the most fun way to be handed an album. You actually get to check out both versions of the playback. It's fun. He's having fun.... and you, as a vinyl enthusiast, are the only one equipped to enjoy the joke.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I do not feel so strongly, and I think it's a fun way to say "fuck it, and you" to vinyl purists, while at the same time giving us something to dork out about.

I haven't heard the music, so I don't know how it sounds at different speeds. But I have some old horror movie soundtracks that sound great when played at the wrong speed.

As a vinyl enthusiast this should be the most fun way to be handed an album. You actually get to check out both versions of the playback. It's fun. He's having fun.... and you, as a vinyl enthusiast, are the only one equipped to enjoy the joke.
    that's fair. maybe i'm being too judgmental, too early.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    and as a sound engineer/musician, it also pisses me off, because it's basically him saying "i don't care what this sounds like when you listen to it".
    same, but i guess i interpreted it the opposite way: he probably does care how it sounds, so either he tried it at the wrong speed and thought it was cool, or – more likely – he wants it used as much as possible in remixes and DJ sets and whatnot, so this is a way of emphasizing its sampling use.

in all likelihood, he's probably just taking the piss. and that's just RDJ, so...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    ... or – more likely – he wants it used as much as possible in remixes and DJ sets and whatnot, so this is a way of emphasizing its sampling use.
    I was thinking this exact thing. Some of those 30 second(ish) long songs are begging to be sampled and fleshed out. They're pretty much ready to go as is.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh check this out: RDJ posted an alternate mix to his soundcloud today (download while you can!): https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    He's also posted 28 (so far) older tracks/demos to this weird account. Some amazing stuff here!
    Last edited by exilajei; 01-26-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    He's also posted 28 (so far) older tracks/demos to this weird account. Some amazing stuff here!
    I can't tell if he is really good at pretending to be someone else with his comments, if he is really bad at pretending to be someone else because the music sounds so much like AFX, or if this unknown guy is really good at sounding like a guy pretending to be AFX.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by exilajei View Post
    All 100% real unreleased vintage Aphex. What a great time to be a fan!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Some of the demos are stunning and have the atmosphere and sound as though they are from about 1990-1992 sort of resembles Selected Ambient Recordings, Analogue Bubblebath, Surfing of Sine Waves, GAK, Bradley Stynder Ep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was about two thirds into downloading them all, then the account vanished

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_dhr View Post
    I was about two thirds into downloading them all, then the account vanished was renamed
    https://soundcloud.com/user4873635301

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    You're a star

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    4 more tracks were added to the account 'user4873635301', then it went down again. Got them all now, bar one!

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_dhr View Post
    4 more tracks were added to the account 'user4873635301', then it went down again. Got them all now, bar one!
    https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001